R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #5221
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks Steve,

Yes i did change the motor, but the problem persisted.

As I feared it appears the bloody ESC is going down, so I guess it means having to purchase another one.

Thanks again
Aaron
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #5222
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

aaron,

You should be able to send it in either directly to us or t oyour local distributor...

How old is the GTB? All of our products have a 120 warrantee on them... evne if it's out of warantee we still have options...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #5223
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Steve. I actually was asking if I could solder any length of wire on the receiver. I am 99% sure that I can, but I just wanted to check.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #5224
The Evicerator

Sorry, guess I mis-interpreted your question!

Usually 18 inches is good enough for most receivers.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #5225
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks Steve, I purchased it second hand quite a few months ago, initially used it for stock racing with the 13.5, but now Ive moved to mod and it's obviously brought an underlying problem to the surface.

You mention there are options. Im located in Australia, so is there options to get it repaired here?

Cheers
Aaron
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #5226
The Evicerator

Well, your first option would be to contact your local distributor and see what they can do for you:

HOBBY EXPRESS IMPORTERS PTY LTD
3/21 Date Street, Brookvale, Sydney, NSW 2100
Australia
Phone: (61) 02 9939 3644, FAX: (61) 02 9939 3788

If they can't do anything for you we can see what we can do for you here.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #5227
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Steve,

I know you probably get this question often, but in your Brushed systems, what should you look for in a good motor? I am looking around now since I am also looking for a used GTX. Right now I have a Co-27 motor, and am looking for an all around motor, but mainly drifting or rally.

Coming up from the 1/28 scale world is very drastic, since motors are tunable in so many ways. before it was just brushes, magnets and armatures. Now there are hundreds of motors and more tunability... What are the tuning components i should look for in a motor? How does adjustable timing physically have an effect on different RPM's/ torque?

thanks again
Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #5228
The Evicerator

Well, as far as stock motors go I suppose the Co27 is pretty much top dog right now.

Pretty much all of the stock motors now have locked timing...so it's almost a moot point as far as tuning goes with that...but in general the more timing you have, the less bottom end torque you have but more rpm... less timing gives you better bottom end response but less top RPM

When it comes to brushed motor tuning everyone has different philosophies on what you need to be competative.

The basic tools of the trade are a motor lathe, some sort of break in device to run the lathe and brake the motor in after you've finished truing it and rebrushing it... a good selection of brushes.... a good selection of springs....some shims...

Some people swear by comm drops but I never really got too into them.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #5229
Tech Fanatic

I've definitely looked into the comm lathe. The price is what scares me, since I am not a full time racer. This is also the reason I was looking at Brushless as well, however the price is not as friendly either. Right now I have Performance 3 motor spray cleaner, and after I clean it out I put a drop of Light oil in my bushings of the motor.

I am slightly familiar with brush springs-- lighter means not as much contact with the comm and faster RPM, and stronger means less RPM but more power, right? When do you really change springs? For different tracks?

Also are the shims between the comm and the endbell? Why would I need a few of those?

Regarding brushes, There are also many of these too. Is it that a silver compound brush is softer and has less life than a copper/carbon brush? Again, any specific brushes I should look/ watch out for?

Thanks again (X 3) haha!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #5230
Tech Fanatic

I Forgot to mention I was wondering your opinions on modified motors, not stock .

I know that Double armatures are wired parallel, so in effect is this a more torquey motor versus speed?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #5231
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
I Forgot to mention I was wondering your opinions on modified motors, not stock .

I know that Double armatures are wired parallel, so in effect is this a more torquey motor versus speed?
hey slim, spend the money and go brushless. Dont waste your time with brushes, cutting comms, timing of motors, shorter run times...BORING. Go brushless, lessen the tuning on the motor so you can spend more time tweaking your car and kicking ass with longer run times.....thats right I said it!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #5232
Tech Fanatic

I would go brushless but I might be able to get a cheap GTX and a good motor.

If you had a used system I would take it if the price is right. Also, my batteries are only 1500mAh and I don't think they would be able to provide enough power to the Brushless systems. But what systems do you recommend?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #5233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mooshu, for the price of a slightly used GTX and a good motor you could get this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRST8&P=7
Deves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #5234
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
I would go brushless but I might be able to get a cheap GTX and a good motor.

If you had a used system I would take it if the price is right. Also, my batteries are only 1500mAh and I don't think they would be able to provide enough power to the Brushless systems. But what systems do you recommend?
check your pm's
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #5235
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deves View Post
Mooshu, for the price of a slightly used GTX and a good motor you could get this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRST8&P=7
That's still over $150. I'm being really frugal because I don't necessarily need to upgrade my car now. The only reason is that there are some good deals running by recently.

Thanks for the link though.