R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #4951
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrahm View Post
I originally posted this in another thread, but realized this is a better place to ask....

I've been racing my XXX-S locally with a GTB/13.5(bonded) setup. I had all the usual issues -- ran too hot until I geared down to around 6.2 FDR with rubber tires and finally got the temps down to around 150-160 (90+ F degree weather)...

SO - Tonight I replaced the rotor with a sintered rotor... (I've worked with brushed motors for 18 years or so, and I'm spoiled with having my Turbo Dyno 45 to allow me to test motors, etc.) When I first tested the converted motor (ONLY on the workbench so far) -- I thought I'd done something wrong... It sounded so SLOW compared to the way the bonded rotor sounded... Fully installed in the car, I realize it's working fine, but MAN! it sure is different! Before, the drag brakes (even manually applied brakes) were WEAK -- drag brake was almost unnoticable! NOW - ZAP! it appears to act almost like a brushed motor...

In reading about gearing recommendations, I always thought the sintered rotor versions "allowed" taller gearing -- now I am starting to think they MUST HAVE taller gearing to achieve the same speed...?

I'm guessing I will need to go from 6.2 FDR (bonded) to around 5.0 FDR (sintered) for our relatively small parking lot track with rubber tires...?

I won't get to track test until Sunday at the next HobbyTown races, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this right...?

Your thoughts?
Yeah, that gearing sounds about right.

I have heard most people seem to have success in the 4.5 to 5.0 FDR ranges with sintered rotors.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #4952
The Evicerator

Very nice Mr. Dawson!

As far as the sintered rotor is concerned, yes, it is a smaller diameter than the bonded rotor.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #4953
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
As far as the sintered rotor is concerned, yes, it is a smaller diameter than the bonded rotor.
Thanks
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #4954
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, that gearing sounds about right.

I have heard most people seem to have success in the 4.5 to 5.0 FDR ranges with sintered rotors.
Steve, I bit the bullet and got a #1711 and 13.5SS for BCR this weekend, whats your recommendation sir with the gearing?
GCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #4955
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCracker View Post
Steve, I bit the bullet and got a #1711 and 13.5SS for BCR this weekend, whats your recommendation sir with the gearing?
GG-- Didn't you quote Steve's answer in the question? I ran 4.97 at La Mirada last Sunday.
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #4956
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Moose View Post
GG-- Didn't you quote Steve's answer in the question? I ran 4.97 at La Mirada last Sunday.
Ya but that straight away will never be repeated again..........ever that was 180+ft with a huge sweeper I think that will be a little overkill for BCR

Im not sure I can gear my car low enough my smallest spur and largest pinion combo 118/42 only gets me to 5.14 FDR
GCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #4957
The Evicerator

You should be ok with that 5.14 gearing...like I said it's just ballpark estimate.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #4958
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

Hi Steve,
here is the problem i have right now when i using Novak SS13.5 with the combination of Nosram ISTC spec(similiar to LRP TC spec) throttle profile 2-8-2-2, FDR gear is 4.56, radio brake EPA 60%, i have very good braking at the begining of race but after 3 min race or qualifying the motor seem to be having fade brake until i can feel my car totally no brake at all, and i did check the temp was around 160F and also i did put a novak 30X30mm fan to blow the motor to keep the temp down it should't happen like that! some more is new i just got it from towerhobbies. thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #4959
The Evicerator

You got the 13.5 Pro with the sintered rotor? If not you need to gear down quite a bit to keep the motor cooler
If you have the sintered rotor you might want to gear down a tooth or two just in case.

Also, how hot is your ESC getting?

I think that the punch/speed setting of 8 might be a bit much... I would tone it down to about 4 or so... that setting they are playing with causes extra current draw and that might be what is causing your brake fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guo Chean View Post
Hi Steve,
here is the problem i have right now when i using Novak SS13.5 with the combination of Nosram ISTC spec(similiar to LRP TC spec) throttle profile 2-8-2-2, FDR gear is 4.56, radio brake EPA 60%, i have very good braking at the begining of race but after 3 min race or qualifying the motor seem to be having fade brake until i can feel my car totally no brake at all, and i did check the temp was around 160F and also i did put a novak 30X30mm fan to blow the motor to keep the temp down it should't happen like that! some more is new i just got it from towerhobbies. thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #4960
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

Quote:
You got the 13.5 Pro with the sintered rotor? If not you need to gear down quite a bit to keep the motor cooler
If you have the sintered rotor you might want to gear down a tooth or two just in case.

Also, how hot is your ESC getting?

I think that the punch/speed setting of 8 might be a bit much... I would tone it down to about 4 or so... that setting they are playing with causes extra current draw and that might be what is causing your brake fade.
i believe i got the latest 13.5 version it come with ribbed can, orange timing ring. what temp you would sugguest to stay? the esc is about 50 to 70C before thermal shut down. i will try to tone it down and see still got any brake fade or not thanks for helping.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #4961
The Evicerator

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #4962
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

welcome back
Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #4963
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aid1970 View Post
thanks for the reply Steve
it is the new system can i adjust the trim on the stick to give me a little more like a auto brake?
thanks
glad your back Steve can you help will i do any dammage??
Aid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #4964
The Evicerator

Aid,

You can turn the throttle trim back so that you're actually sitting in the brake side ...but it will change the throttle response a bit and make it so that it's not linear... you will actually have no response through the deadband until you reach the minimum drive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aid1970 View Post
glad your back Steve can you help will i do any dammage??
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #4965
Tech Fanatic

EWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPP PPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....DUH!
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote