Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only time I've run on it was in Vegas and I'd love to have a track. I know quite a few SD guys who'd drive for one.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 247 (100%+)
Default Novak question...

Never mind--figured it out. Thanks anyway!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

steve, do you guys get bombarded with as many british tv programs as we do from over yonder? lol
Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
The Evicerator

We get very few british tv shows here... most of which seem to be reruns...such as Mr. Bean... Various Monty Python bits... occassional others...but I can't imagine that it could be as bad as what you have to deal with
Old 10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

lol i ended up watching Fox news for an hour today man thats some thrillin stuff GOD BLESS SKY! well its better than flog it
Old 10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you guys had a carpet track in SoCal, would we NorCalers have to stop ribbing you about the lack of having one??? We have two within 60 miles of the SF Bay Area and they both thrive.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If they build it they will come......

Heck just the saving in tires alone is worth it.....

Maybe Novak could dual use a warehouse and build a testing track and open it up to races every weekend.

-Shookie <><
Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evicerator
Our new subject:

Carpet tracks in southern california. Why or why not?

DISCUSS!!
sure Iam all for it. But remember alot Of the PKlot racers are spoiled. and dont travel. (they prefer a dirty Pk lot over a real track). Which this is something I dont understand. peeps n other states drive 2 hours or more to go race EVERY WEEK END. I guess that is what separates the hard core racers from the bashers. ( SD guys are exempt from that last statment)

R I P................4funn hobbies (Hesperia)
R I P bwraceway ( carpet track riverside)
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Howard, thank you for exempting us from that statement, now us San Diegans can go on with our lives instead of posting a lot of mean things about you...lol.
A few years ago we did have a carpet track in SD. It was small, but fun, and alas, it failed.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patrick
Howard, thank you for exempting us from that statement, now us San Diegans can go on with our lives instead of posting a lot of mean things about you...lol.
A few years ago we did have a carpet track in SD. It was small, but fun, and alas, it failed.
wasnt trying to be mean Pat?? just truthful
Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Howie, I was kidding. It was a poor attempt at humor. I know you weren't trying to be mean, and I do agree with you. I think another reason some tracks don't make it is because some racers stop going for some really silly reasons, like, its too small, or they don't change the track enough, or I don't like the owner, or they raised the price one dollar so I'm not going to go anymore. This stuff is just stupid, and it's what causes tracks to fail. It's a business, and it's not possible to satisfy everyone 100%. My .02.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patrick
Howie, I was kidding. It was a poor attempt at humor. I know you weren't trying to be mean, and I do agree with you. I think another reason some tracks don't make it is because some racers stop going for some really silly reasons, like, its too small, or they don't change the track enough, or I don't like the owner, or they raised the price one dollar so I'm not going to go anymore. This stuff is just stupid, and it's what causes tracks to fail. It's a business, and it's not possible to satisfy everyone 100%. My .02.
so true.

I would do socal but its to hard for me to get there after work.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

The " If you build it they will come " statement doesn't hold water, at least for me. If the track is not in the perfect location it is doomed. I have learned that you have to look at the economics of the area that you propose to do the track, the number of people in the area that have an interest in such a facility. I learned the hard way " if you build it they will come " only lasts a short time. The serious race that comes out once or twice a month to race doesn't pay the bills, you need to have a base of local enthusiast that will come to you track on a regular basis. Just as an example, to prep and maintain a outdoor asphalt track is $50.00 min. per day not including man hours. Now if you on average have 5 or 6 guys on a daily basis at $5.00 per driver thats $30.00 per day so the track takes a hit of $20.00 each day and over a month period thats a hard hit. Sometimes the track would go 6 days with no use. This is just an example of the daily hit, the up front costs will take years to recoupe. Just for the hell of it I will share some numbers: Asphalt $17,000.00, boards for perimeter of the track with paint and steel stakes to secure the boards $1,000.00, electrical for pits $2,000.00, drivers stand $5,000.00, Road Rails and other interior boarders $2,500.00, pit tables, chairs, shade, air compressor $1,500.00, Amb system and computer $8,000.00, equipment to maintain the track $1,000.00, and insurance. This is just some of the expenses I could come up with off the top of my head and are all round numbers, so you are looking at a total of aprrox. $38,000.00 before you open the doors. So my lesson was you better be damn sure " they are going to come " and if that was the case we would have tracks spring'n up all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I had great support from a lot of people and I would do it again, but location and economics of the area would play a major part in such venture.

Sorry to go off on a rant here but as you can tell I have a hard time with the " If you build it they will come " line.

Look what Skuba started
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 AM
The Evicerator

Way to kill the thread there Scott!!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Steve you should go to bed, you need your rest .

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service