Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duo 1 & Duo Motors 2 Which is Better??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Duo 1 & Duo Motors 2 Which is Better??

I have heard that the Duo 1 is more of a torque motor and the Duo 2 is more of an RPM motor (17.5 & 13.5).... Of those of you that are currently running these motors in 12th scale which version is working better. The Duo 1 or 2?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Murray
I have heard that the Duo 1 is more of a torque motor and the Duo 2 is more of an RPM motor (17.5 & 13.5).... Of those of you that are currently running these motors in 12th scale which version is working better. The Duo 1 or 2?

Thanks!
On the dyno there is very little difference between the two. Usually the Duo 2's will have about 3-500 more RPM and 3-5Watts higher. All using the Turbo Dyno.

On the track Ive found the Duo 2's run slightly cooler (5-10 degrees) over a 5-8 minute run. They are easier to adjust timing on for sure. But for overall performance its really really hard to tell a difference to me.

EA
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While not having run them yet I happen to hav e both of them in front of me right now. They both look to have the same wind and wire guage, same can, front plate, rotor size and magnet strength. The only difference I can see is the timming adjustment on the back. The duo2 has more adjustment where as the duo 1 has only 3 settings.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
While not having run them yet I happen to hav e both of them in front of me right now. They both look to have the same wind and wire guage, same can, front plate, rotor size and magnet strength. The only difference I can see is the timming adjustment on the back. The duo2 has more adjustment where as the duo 1 has only 3 settings.
Pretty much perfect descrpition. The stator is slightly different on the duo 2 but not much.

Full timing on the Duo 2 is slightly more than middle hole on the Duo 1.

EA
Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Pretty much perfect descrpition. The stator is slightly different on the duo 2 but not much.

EA
yes and the can is ever so slightly different at the back!! the duo2 is slightly more close on the venting than the duo1. And the can matches the endbell!!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

EA
EA,

Where is the 0 timing mark on the Duo 2??

Thanks!
Paul
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by P2
EA,

Where is the 0 timing mark on the Duo 2??

Thanks!
Paul
Its the longest line right in the center.

EA
Old 09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Nevermind, I fixed the problem. Motor works fine now.

Where is a good starting point for the timing on a 17.5 Duo 2?

Last edited by ShaunMac; 09-25-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
My Duo 2 came set at the 0* timing mark. Motor runs fine at this setting, but any attempts to even slightly advance the timing result in the motor not running at all. Set it back to 0* and it comes back to life.

Any ideas?
Ive been running mine mostly at full timing and gearing about the same as an original duo. In rubber tire I backed it down a notch and a half from full timing. Never had any problems thus far. Come off around 150 degrees with a fan in TC.

Dumb question but you did turn it toward the + side correct? I know if you retard the timing it will make them do funny stuff sometimes depending on the speedo!

EA
Old 09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Ive been running mine mostly at full timing and gearing about the same as an original duo. In rubber tire I backed it down a notch and a half from full timing. Never had any problems thus far. Come off around 150 degrees with a fan in TC.

Dumb question but you did turn it toward the + side correct? I know if you retard the timing it will make them do funny stuff sometimes depending on the speedo!

EA
Thanks for the help Eric. One of the windings was pushed in and hitting the black timing ring. Once I pushed the winding back in place it worked fine.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

EA
i don't think full timing is that good, what speedy do you run it on?? as i find a little bit of timing to increase spool and top end is good and then gear it for the rest otherwise i find motors get to soft if you run to much advance once you add motor advance and speedy advance aswell!!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by decibels
i don't think full timing is that good, what speedy do you run it on?? as i find a little bit of timing to increase spool and top end is good and then gear it for the rest otherwise i find motors get to soft if you run to much advance once you add motor advance and speedy advance aswell!!
Been running the SPX since it came out. Profile 7 for TC. Setup just like posted lap times usually only fall off .1-.2 per 5 minute run. Motor doesnt seem to go soft. I havent really gotten to do a ton of track testing as most was done at the IIC with the duo 2. Once our carpet track gets going good in a few weeks I'll do a lot more in depth testing and will try the lower timing on the motor with higher gearing to see how that compares.

EA
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you know what´s the difference between Profile 6, 7 and 8 with the SPX?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by V12
Do you know what´s the difference between Profile 6, 7 and 8 with the SPX?
Profile 6 on the SPX is Almost the exact same as profile 8 on the previous TC speedo. 7 and 8 are the advanced timing avance settings with 8 being the most.

EA
Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have a duo that has 4 race days on it and it just shut down on me at the start of the main last race. It went for a about 2 feet off the start line at full throttle and just quit. Is there any repair of these duo motors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.