R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know that some gokart drivers i know, use petrol to clean and soften the tires so i think the lighter fluid will do the same to your TC rubber tires

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
Anyone used lighter fuild to clean there tires . Is seems to make the
Tires sticky ...
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
Anyone used lighter fuild to clean there tires . Is seems to make the
Tires sticky ...
I'm using Ronsonol lighter fluid as a cleaner right now. It seems quite effective. Before that I was using motor spray. Before that I was just using the additive itself!

I'm fairly sure that Ronsonol is pure white spirit (naptha). This is the same ingredient as in the popular Wurth brake cleaner and a lot of other similar sprays. So no wonder they have a similar effect on the tyres.

Unsurprisingly the RC industry is quite cagey about the actual ingredients in their additives. Good luck finding an MSDS sheet for them.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrc View Post
I'm using Ronsonol lighter fluid as a cleaner right now. It seems quite effective. Before that I was using motor spray. Before that I was just using the additive itself!

I'm fairly sure that Ronsonol is pure white spirit (naptha). This is the same ingredient as in the popular Wurth brake cleaner and a lot of other similar sprays. So no wonder they have a similar effect on the tyres.

Unsurprisingly the RC industry is quite cagey about the actual ingredients in their additives. Good luck finding an MSDS sheet for them.
To me lighter fuild makes the tires softer , i used motor spray at brooklands
But i dont think it make the tires soft ,

Any one used much more tire additive?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Great info guys, while reading the Jilles Groskamp thread he talk about "thin" and "thick" coumpounds, saying to run a thin one like FX2 on new tyres and a thick one like tyre tweak on old tyres.
I read that a laughed i have ALWAYS run tweak on new tyres and FX2 on old tyres, i guess he knows better than me
One thing I do is when using tyre warmers is to use tissues around the tyres but i have seen lately some guys using gladwrap on the tyres in tyrewarmers, another thing that I noticed is a lot of guys putting their cars on the track with dripping wet tyres as I always go to the track with dry tyres.
Any thoughts on the above notes.

Rhys
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #35
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I use traction compound to clean and treat when the tires aren't dirty, lighter fluid to clean before treating if they are dirty. Simple green works great for rubber tires that are just dirty but it won't remove the gummy ring that develops on rubber tires when running on a treated carpet track worth a shit.

As far as how long I leave compound on, generally I dope just before my heat race, I really can't tell a difference between doing it 5 min before or 30 min before.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:

It is actually illegal in the USA to withhold an MSDS sheet. Nobody makes a big deal about it though.

"MSDSs are a critical component of the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200(g)). This standard mandates that workers have a right to know what hazards are associated with the chemicals they use in the workplace. Both manufacturers of chemicals and employers with chemicals in their workplace, must be in compliance with this regulation as it is the most often cited violation by OSHA, with fines of more than $70,000 per violation per instance. "

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It is actually illegal in the USA to withhold an MSDS sheet. Nobody makes a big deal about it though.

"MSDSs are a critical component of the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200(g)). This standard mandates that workers have a right to know what hazards are associated with the chemicals they use in the workplace. Both manufacturers of chemicals and employers with chemicals in their workplace, must be in compliance with this regulation as it is the most often cited violation by OSHA, with fines of more than $70,000 per violation per instance. "
I've got an idea then... you drink the additives, and I'll call the companies!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:

+1 and then what ever additive 20 minutes before run and wipe off 5 min before
FunkyDunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using Goof-Off to clean tires for over a year now... works really well... Most of the time I wont use any additive, goof-off gets them pretty tacky in itself... If I do use an additive it's usually Buggy grip that I apply a few times before the race.... seems to soak in and or evaporate
Old 06-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

What about the old fav reddot anyone still using it.

Rhys
Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

trying to use up some Solaris' I have; anyone found a sweet saucing technique with those on a low-medium (at best) asphalt track?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
trying to use up some Solaris' I have; anyone found a sweet saucing technique with those on a low-medium (at best) asphalt track?
Clean w/ your favorite cleaner (motor spray, lighter fluid, etc), then Tire Tweak + warmers for about 45 mins. No warmers are okay too, just put it on thin, and let sit as long as possible.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #43
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use no additive at all, pollution laws mean that we cannot use traction compounds at my local track, but you get used to it and it makes things cheaper. Most the time i don't even bother with cleaning tires, i just bag them and use them next time, assuming they are not worn out after a race meeting.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #44
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used dishwashing soap and water yesterday. It actually worked.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thanks geeunit1014.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote