Wiki Posts
Search

adhesive/glue to mount foam tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default adhesive/glue to mount foam tires

Getting back into 1/12 racing after about 14 years away and need to know what adhesive I need for gluing foamies to their plastic rims. "In the day" we used Delta tire glue which was a contact adhesive of some sort that we used with laquer thinner (also worked GREAT on mountain bike and dirt bike hand grips). Unfortunately, Delta seems to have gone the way of the Dodo in my absence. I was VERY happy with this process and it's results (did all my own tires for 1/12-1/10-1/8) then. All I've seen now are that Associated has a CA glue that I'm almost certain I won't like. Who can help me out here?

Also--I seem to have lost my handy-dandy 1/12 tire horn (Kimbough?). Any leads where to buy a replacement?

Thirdly...anyone know if I need a new arbor for my MaxMod truer to adapt the "new" (to me, anyway) 3-bolt wheels?

Finally--anyone here race in Billings, MT (my crap luck has me moving there, but at least there's RC racing)? I could use some recommendations re: gearing, tire diameters, etc. Feel free to e-mail me directly on [email protected]

Many thanks in advance!

Scottrik
The NOISY MUSE
Old 09-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Scottrik -

Like you, I have mounted my own rubber for many years for all scales. A contact adhesive is what you want - CA is not the ticket.

I haven't used a special tire glue (Delta, TRC, BoLink etc) since the 80's. I buy Weldwood contact cement at the home center or hardware store by the quart and it works fine. Just make sure you don't buy the water based kind. You can also use contact cement made for rubber roofing but its a little harder to find and you'll probably have to buy a gallon. It seems to allow more slip when you mount the tire - you know, allow the glue to dry, dip the rim and donut in lacquer thinner and mash em together.

I think you can still get the tire horns, but I have never used one. I use a drill press to true my tires and I just use the wheel hub rather than an arbor - not sure if you need a special one for the three hole rims.

In Montana, you might find racing by contacting Stormer Hobbies - they are located somewhere up there.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Many thanks for the info on adhesives--I knew it had to be a contact cement of one sort or another. I'm guessing the Delta adhesive was along the lines of the roofing adhesive you mention but they sold it in convenient 1qt cans with a brush in the lid.

As far as the mounting horns--I know it can be done without, but I always appreciated the absolute convenience and ease the horns offered. I found Kimbrough's site and they list a 1/12 horn--I'll contact them and see how a civilian can go about aquiring one.

As far as Montana racing, Montana is a HUGE state. Stormer is in Glasgow which is about 250 miles north and east of Billings. I know they come down for at least SOME of the racing in Billings with the Magic City RC group. I was just hoping someone posting here raced with them as well--I'm trying to get a head start on set-ups, etc and I'm not there yet to ask anybody .

Thanks again!

Scottrik
The NOISY MUSE