Search
Like Tree94Likes

Classic 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default good old brushed electric motors

Just the other day, I took out my old school racing stuff to compare with my current racing stuff. What a difference! Looking at a series of motors 24 deg roar stock, 36 degree norcar stock, handwound mods, etc. And stock and mod lathe, turbodyno, battery discharging trays, and all types of brushes made me kind of miss the good old day of racing. I then ran those motors around 5V off a charger with motor run-in for a sentimental purposes. LOL, maybe I'm too old fashioned.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
Just the other day, I took out my old school racing stuff to compare with my current racing stuff. What a difference! Looking at a series of motors 24 deg roar stock, 36 degree norcar stock, handwound mods, etc. And stock and mod lathe, turbodyno, battery discharging trays, and all types of brushes made me kind of miss the good old day of racing. I then ran those motors around 5V off a charger with motor run-in for a sentimental purposes. LOL, maybe I'm too old fashioned.
Nothing like the "shine" of a fresh diamond bit trued comm
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I found and watched some video we shot of a 1/12th race in 1991-1992. Six foot lanes. Looked crazy slow. 4.8 volts, wads of internal resistance and motors that on a good day put out 40 watts. Cars looked very fun to drive though. Saw a few guys that we raced with that have since passed on. Was nice to see them again.

*sniff*
Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I found and watched some video we shot of a 1/12th race in 1991-1992. Six foot lanes. Looked crazy slow. 4.8 volts, wads of internal resistance and motors that on a good day put out 40 watts. Cars looked very fun to drive though. Saw a few guys that we raced with that have since passed on. Was nice to see them again.

*sniff*
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Funny really, as just before I left the states, I ran my old Corally SP12G and then SP12V around DRCW's indoor track with a 7.2v NiMh (had to do some work on the chassis's to get them to fit in!) and a 15x2 motor, and they were brilliant to drive! Sure, they were not as fast as a modern day LiPo/4t 12th car, but they really went around well. And I am going to run them again at my local club over the next couple of weeks too!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingman2
Funny really, as just before I left the states, I ran my old Corally SP12G and then SP12V around DRCW's indoor track with a 7.2v NiMh (had to do some work on the chassis's to get them to fit in!) and a 15x2 motor, and they were brilliant to drive! Sure, they were not as fast as a modern day LiPo/4t 12th car, but they really went around well. And I am going to run them again at my local club over the next couple of weeks too!
I agree, although it's probably 22-25 years since I've run 1/12th in a 6 cell configuration, I recall it to be very enjoyable. The car just felt smoother and drove better with the extra weight.

Be crazy to try and do proper 2s 1/12th now! I can't even imagine. I suppose 21.5 driven with 2s would be about like a 10.5 1s but with a better, more linear feel to it.

Be nice to get rid of the stupid voltage boosters and receiver packs. I'd call that a fair trade.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

*sniff*
Bob,
Are you planning on posting these videos?

PLEASE...
Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

I agree, although it's probably 22-25 years since I've run 1/12th in a 6 cell configuration, I recall it to be very enjoyable. The car just felt smoother and drove better with the extra weight.

Be crazy to try and do proper 2s 1/12th now! I can't even imagine. I suppose 21.5 driven with 2s would be about like a 10.5 1s but with a better, more linear feel to it.

Be nice to get rid of the stupid voltage boosters and receiver packs. I'd call that a fair trade.
Yeah, I did try out a 4.8v pack first off but my very nice Corally MMS2 speedo got really hot very fast! Once the voltage was increased to 7.2, it was fine! I have a whole bunch of Corally chassis's from the late 80's/early 90's so it will be fun running each, just for a bit of a laugh! Cheers!!

PS: Here's a pic of my SP10V which also happens to be great to drive!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacinJ
Bob,
Are you planning on posting these videos?

PLEASE...
Thought about you the whole time little buddy. the one starts with your Dad and Roger walking into the track. Then some relatively long taping of what I think is most of the mains. I know there's one heat of you, me, Mitch Witteman, Gary Lanzer, I think it's the stock main. Rene' was doing the timing and didn't announce who was where on the track. I believe Stewart was taping some of it. I think he had to much caffeine. ...lol... Strewart was zooming on our trigger fingers to prove we weren't as smooth as we said we were. It's cool to watch how we used to have to trim a car because we didn't have battery to give up. Push the car down the straight by hand, and walk and go get it. Do it again. It still kind of blows my mind we can now run for like 2-3 minutes before a heat and it seems to be just fine.

Green carpet, likely an old abandoned auto parts store in a strip mall, I think in Regina. As a lot of Regina guys were there.

I'm gonna work on them some more. Well, let me rephrase that, "Randon" is gonna work on that some more. the GOOD NEWS is that I bought the best camera you could buy at that time, the Canon A1 digital, and L1 Digital. the footage, albeit, quite old, is not bad. Sadly, it was before anti-shake technology. And now we're trying to get it off the tape with substandard players, and that's where we're getting some error. I think I'm gonna have to buy a good hi8 player. I don't even know if they do something like that. It's like looking for an 8 track player. :P

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 12-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

That would be awesome.

Thank you sir.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

I was in Havasu over the weekend, I shoulda called you and asked if there was any rqacing. Desert life is hard to get used to. Somebody stole all the lawn grass! and everywhere you look, looks like a bombed out third world country full of gravel and rocks, with little or no vegetation. Not sure you can race 1/12th in gravel.

Never in my life seen a sign like this one. Had to take a picture.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was in Havasu over the weekend. Desert life is hard to get used to. Somebody stole all the lawn grass!
I've never once seen anybody need to shovel all of that winter sunshine in Havasu.

Hell, where RacinJ used to live they could bury each others cars in snow and not find them for months. Come to think of it, you're probably well acquainted with that phenomenon as well. I on the other hand get out my winter blanket when the temps drop below 70 in the house at night.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

I couldn't count all of the out of town races we've gone to where we could hardly see the road ahead.

One of our trips back from Bismarck, I thought Mitch was going to get an ulcer. I think Dad was sideways for half the trip.

That road sign isn't as funny as your "SHEEP" sign before your Mountain State Championship. Mitch, Mike and I laughed about that for years.

To keep on the classic 1/12 subject, do you still have any wheel discs? (Paragon, Bud's or my favorite the fluorescent orange .89 or $1.19 Frito Lay stickers. ) Nothing says '80's like fluorescent colors.

Last edited by RacinJ; 12-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

wheel Discs? Seriously? Buy some aircraft trim sheet and a circle cutter. And they do race in Havasu, Off road and maybe dirt oval.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
wheel Discs? Seriously? Buy some aircraft trim sheet and a circle cutter. And they do race in Havasu, Off road and maybe dirt oval.
I went down and looked at the track in Havasu. Very nice, down by the waters edge. Offroad, no oval at that site.

Originally Posted by RacinJ
... That road sign isn't as funny as your "SHEEP" sign before your Mountain State Championship. Mitch, Mike and I laughed about that for years...
I put up a big sign near the track, with an arrow, that said, "FREE SHEEP", figuring that anybody traveling from North Dakota might miss a directional sign. But no WAY they'd miss the offer of "FREE SHEEP".

That kinda came back on me. Local people all the next week. What's up with the Sheep? You guys adding a farm out by the track? Any sheep left? You gonna do goats too? I don't think you have enough room for livestock, did you check with the city?

Kinda made fun of the Sheep thing. this was the cartoon I made for the flyer that year.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 12-29-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.