Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree94Likes

Classic 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Going vintage racing this weekend.

I pulled a couple cars that I haven't driven in a decade and gonna go see how much things have improved.

Associated 12L something with the reactive caster front end, Novak Atom ESC, unknown stock brushed and 4 cell NiCad pack made of Panasonic 2000 cells.

Trinity MCR, Novak 410 HPc ESC, Reedy Firehawk 27T stock brushed motor and 4 Sanyo 1800 SCRCs.

I upgraded the radio gear to current 2.4Ghz stuff to avoid problems. Originally I thought of using the old Futaba 3PB that I used to use back in the day but after thinking about it I will either retire it or see if I can upgrade to 2.4 Ghz with a module swap. The batteries are still taking a good charge so I can easily make 8 minutes but my tires are rock-hard. I've been treating them for a couple days to see if I can revive them but I think it'll still be a handful. Just going out to have some fun. The old guys are gonna have a laugh and the young ones are gonna be like "WTF?!!!".

Sean
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Shot in the dark...........RM-1 ?
mmmm, RM-1. That sounds much more familiar. Not to discount bakaguyjean's ID, but can't believe I had a mugen body at that time.

If RM-1 then from who? Back to MRP, McAllister, not AE, not Tamiya,...
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
mmmm, RM-1. That sounds much more familiar. Not to discount bakaguyjean's ID, but can't believe I had a mugen body at that time.

If RM-1 then from who? Back to MRP, McAllister, not AE, not Tamiya,...
Definitely not McAlister. I have one of Gary's and it's quite different.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
What is MCS? Never heard this.
Does that mean it is an AYK body and from which car?
Are there pictures from a painted MCS?
MCS stand for Moon Craft Special, its a car that was driven in the 1/1 Japan Championships. It is a AYK Body that came with the RX300 and 480. Here is a picture of one that is very battered.
The other picture is a very bad picture of what people were using in Japan, The MCS is the third from the top.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-ayksp-1-.jpg   Classic 1/12th-itimura.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
So Im guessing Im the only person that actually runs classic 1/12th on this board. Collecting is fine but I is there anybody that still runs thier cars?
here's my runner: an old plazma I'm running among mardaves and supastox
The batterypack is from Yokomo and is actually 7.4v but with the footrpint of a shorty and only about 20mm high.
I wish they were sold outside of Japan too: I love it so much I even run this in my buggies
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-img_9140.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. ed
The batterypack is from Yokomo and is actually 7.4v but with the footrpint of a shorty and only about 20mm high.
I wish they were sold outside of Japan too: I love it so much I even run this in my buggies
Thats the same battery i use in my 1/12ths and my Mardave7. Great light battery.
I am interested in what you had to do for the wheels,looks like you had to do some handy work.
Wheels are the biggest problem for Plazmas then the spur gear,any ideas you came up with might help somebody. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Giorgio
The clear one is a Ferrari 333. Couldn't remember who makes it, but I've had it painted with a MOMO Moretti style.
the ferrari was made by Hot Bodies.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Thats the same battery i use in my 1/12ths and my Mardave7. Great light battery.
I am interested in what you had to do for the wheels,looks like you had to do some handy work.
Wheels are the biggest problem for Plazmas then the spur gear,any ideas you came up with might help somebody. Thanks for posting.
what you see on there is not going to help a lot, sorry.

The wheels are from SG: prosso. Those cars had a 5mm axle and ball diff (32dp) but I didn't have the axle anymore so I bolted a standard spur on th left side wheel and put it on the right side. The right wheel I drilled and put a set screw in. On the front I used steering blocks and axles from a schumacher 1/12th car I was never able to identify. The centerhole was opened up from 3 to 3.2 mm.
I was running another set of wheels before which are easier to get: from a tamiya F1. See the picture. But they still left me with the stock spur
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-img_8021.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Schumacher C-car, 1983 vintage. Early version with one piece front wishbones, later wishbones were made from two pieces which gives a greater caster angle. Later versions also had longer slots in the motor mount to run a wider range of gears. Schumacher diff with sleeved rear wheels, and live axle front axles.
(pics)
Well thankyou Terry, now I finally know what "car" I have and how bad a mistake I made throwing out the wheels presuming they were mardave and still easy to get.
Unfortunately "car" is maybe too flattering as it misses so many parts.
Are these showing up from time to time in the UK still, or should I sort it next to the equally incomplete SG prosso?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is it legal for the GT12 class? Amazing to think that a car of that vintage might still be competitive somewhere!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone know where to get a PSE Mazda 12th car b'shell please? It was kind of 'stubby' looking but I really liked it! :-)
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Well thankyou Terry, now I finally know what "car" I have and how bad a mistake I made throwing out the wheels presuming they were mardave and still easy to get.
Unfortunately "car" is maybe too flattering as it misses so many parts.
Are these showing up from time to time in the UK still, or should I sort it next to the equally incomplete SG prosso?
Parts are very hard if not impossible to find, but most of the parts are fairly simple to make and there are spares still around. Wheels were unique to the car and fragile compared to others, but there should still be plenty sitting around in old racers spares boxes, I've probably got spares wheels myself somewhere.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
Does anyone know where to get a PSE Mazda 12th car b'shell please? It was kind of 'stubby' looking but I really liked it! :-)
Can't help you with the PSE body

But this Mazda body will be available from Tamiya

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58555
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Is it legal for the GT12 class? Amazing to think that a car of that vintage might still be competitive somewhere!
Competitive is a big word that doesn't take into account my poor driving skills. I end up among the last 3 usually. On the other hand: that's not bad since I've only started running 1/12th this winter.
It's probably on par with the mardaves on the technical side. But it's pretty far behind the supastox.
I'm running it with a 35 turns demon power brushed and bushed. Someone has already offered me his old crawler motor.
The club isn't strict on rules and as I'm not beating to many hopes for victory nobody has complained yet.
I also run narrower rear tires and an acceptable body.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Parts are very hard if not impossible to find, but most of the parts are fairly simple to make and there are spares still around. Wheels were unique to the car and fragile compared to others, but there should still be plenty sitting around in old racers spares boxes, I've probably got spares wheels myself somewhere.
Sounds like I better step away from the plan of making it a runner then.
Maybe I can fetch a little coin on the parts I have and invest them in the plazma instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.