Wiki Posts
Search

mi1 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default mi1 question

So I've seen a conversion of a Schumacher Mi1 on CS Junkies, where a user has modified his mi1 to use a twin lay shaft pulley system instead of the stock single lay shaft, twin 36t rear diff gears, with a belt from the lay shaft to diff, then diff to front, to now use two lay shaft pulleys and a custom belt to the front diff pulley.

He's done so to be able to play with diff gear ratios to achieve a 76% counter steer ratio. My question, is that would such a conversion have any benefit to on road TC if the ratio was left to 50/50? Would there be any gain in the drive train efficiency or reliability? Or would this conversion only be helpful for CS drifting?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
So I've seen a conversion of a Schumacher Mi1 on CS Junkies, where a user has modified his mi1 to use a twin lay shaft pulley system instead of the stock single lay shaft, twin 36t rear diff gears, with a belt from the lay shaft to diff, then diff to front, to now use two lay shaft pulleys and a custom belt to the front diff pulley.

He's done so to be able to play with diff gear ratios to achieve a 76% counter steer ratio. My question, is that would such a conversion have any benefit to on road TC if the ratio was left to 50/50? Would there be any gain in the drive train efficiency or reliability? Or would this conversion only be helpful for CS drifting?
Not likely. CS and variable diff ratios are 2 different things. CS is a stering function. Drifters need more throw on the steering to counter the drift angle.
Varying the diff ratios by way of altering diff gear tooth counts refers to underdrive or overdrive. I've tried it on my XXXS and found it to be little help and at my skill level and the classes I run.... hardly worth it. The pros may use it as a tool but I can't imagine you or I would get much out of it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the clarification. Wouldnt be using it for any underdrive or overdrive during on road tc, was more thinking from a drive train load perspective, that perhaps it would be more efficient then the current stock setup.