R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to grymg
Default Droop Settings?

Can somebody post some starting droop settings for my car? I run a Pro2. My ride height right now is 5mm front 5mm rear.

Should I use the droop screws in the A-arms, put orings inside the shock bodies, or screw in the shock bottoms more to shorten the droop?

I have a pretty good understanding of the easier settings to setup like toe, camber, castor, and ride height but I'm just beginning to investigate droop on my touring car.

Thanks!
grymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
if your car has droop screws then you adjust with those .. If your car doesnt have any droop screws then you can adjust by your shock ends . making them longer to get the desired setting you want , but you still might be limited if you are limited you can get some longer shock ends at your LHS .. I dont know your car but try 4 droop in the front ,an 6 in the rear and adjust from there ..
Old 09-21-2004, 12:35 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

i havent play pro2 but can give some suggestions.

Front , set the droop to let the spring just to touch the adjustment collar.
Rear , 1-1.5mm gap bewteen the spring and the collar.
Shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shalala
i havent play pro2 but can give some suggestions.

Front , set the droop to let the spring just to touch the adjustment collar.
Rear , 1-1.5mm gap bewteen the spring and the collar.
Thanks, could you explain how to do that again? The problem is when I set my ride height at 5mm each by adjusting the spring preload, when I start to lift the car off the ground the tires lift off immediately. And the droop screws on the A-arms are backed out all the way. What am I doing wrong? It seems like the droop is 0mm right now.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I haven't had a Pro2 in a long time but that doesn't sound right. You're saying when you pick your car up, the tires do not drop down at all? If your droop screws are backed out all the way, the wheels should hang down a bit. Did you build the car? Some people limit droop by adding spacers inside the shocks underneath the shock piston. You should take your shocks apart and take out any spacers since droop can be adjusted with the droop screws. Hope this helps.

Also if I remember correctly, a good starting point for droop is 2mm in the front and 4mm in the back.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Well the tires do drop but only a little maybe 1mm or so. Didn't get a droop guage yet to check.

What happens is I believe I'm running right now at 6-7mm ride height from what I measured last night and it seems as though with my current preload there is barely any down travel. I'll remove some preload tonight.

But I think I get it now:

So to get 4mm droop in the back with a 5mm ride height I'll measure the ride height "lifted up" and also at natural level. Then at lifted up ride height I should be at 9mm.

To get 2mm droop in the front at lifted ride height I should be at 6mm then.

Oh and I use gold springs up front and silver kit springs in back.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I think I understand what you're saying but not sure. Anyway, look here

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in.../Pro4_pg30.jpg

for an example on how to measure droop with droop gauges. The instructions are for the Pro4 but the general concepts are the same for every car.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the HPI doc! It's great but I'm not sure it helped me, because I set the droop totally different than the photo.

First of all I didn't use a droop gauge! I successfully set a front 2mm droop and 4mm droop without having to use the A-Arm droop screws. How I did it is I have a slightly stiffer spring up front which doesn't allow as much down travel as the back. Measured the difference in ride height with the tires off the ground and I get approx. 4mm and 2mm.

Question is that ride height is directly affected by the droop screws, and the droop is directly affected by the ride height/spring preload! Which do you typically set first, droop, or ride height?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
Tech Adept

grymg:

Hudy has a good little guide to setup and the order that setup should occur. This guide works even if you don't have the "All-in-one" Hudy setup station. At a minimum, it gives you a good place to start.

Go to (You will need Flash installed):

http://www.hudy.net/flash_stuff/all_in/index.htm

When the graphic appears, the bottom right hand side over the word "car" you will see an icon that looks like a booklet. Click on the booklet and another screen will appear that has a link to a PDF version of the setup guide.

At the back of the guide, there is a table. Depending on what you want your car to do, you select that option from the left hand side. Then follow over to the right hand side for a particular row and it gives you what you should change first and in what order. You should read the entire guide.

Its a good reference
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

A droop gauge and ride height gauge is a must with sedans. They don't cost much.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for the help. Printed out the Hudy manual and I'm good to go.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by grymg
Thanks for the HPI doc! It's great but I'm not sure it helped me, because I set the droop totally different than the photo.

First of all I didn't use a droop gauge! I successfully set a front 2mm droop and 4mm droop without having to use the A-Arm droop screws. How I did it is I have a slightly stiffer spring up front which doesn't allow as much down travel as the back. Measured the difference in ride height with the tires off the ground and I get approx. 4mm and 2mm.

Question is that ride height is directly affected by the droop screws, and the droop is directly affected by the ride height/spring preload! Which do you typically set first, droop, or ride height?
Unfortunately, different spring rates should not technically change droop. Droop refers to how far the arms extend "downwards" at their maximum. So, if you're able to change the droop with a stiffer spring rate then you could have a suspension bind. It sounds like you are measuring some sort of ride height. The droop has to be set with some sort of limiter, such as shock spacers or droop screws to physically limit the maximum travel. Even if the ride height is equal on both the left and right sides of the car, having different droop settings on each side will result in uneven handling.

Using the a-arm screws is the accepted method of setting droop. You could set it by using shock limiters and stuff, but it's way more of a pain;
Old 09-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

OK, so say I use the droop guage on both the front and rear a-arms while the wheels and shocks are detached. Which numbers (in mm) should I be with on the front and rear? I've heard front 2mm, rear 4mm. So I adjust the screws until the front arms hit the 2mm step of the guage and adjust the rear until they hit the 4mm step.

This makes the rear a-arms angle higher, which would most likely give you less droop on the rear. But the rule of thumb is to have double droop in the rear than in the front? Gets confusing.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Actually crap I don't want to confuse anyone here, including myself. I'm going to run 4mm droop rear and 2mm droop front. My question is what should my downstop settings be for the front and rear? I've never used those screws before.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Tech Regular

those are your droop screws.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote