R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Cool Top or TC6

Which one is the best Top or TC6 in asphalt and carpet and which breaks less and is easier to drive
JoseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Xray.
steveonamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have a TOP and think its a great car. I am very impressed with how it handles right out of the box. I have only broken a rear hub since january.

I would go with what you can get support with at your local track/ hobby shop.

I am not a big Team Associated fan, so I went with the TOP. In most cases you will have to order parts online with a TOP. What I liked about the TOP is that it came with both the lipo and 6 cell chassis and a spare set of plastic (arms, knucles, and the such).

Chris
gruman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruman28 View Post
I have a TOP and think its a great car. I am very impressed with how it handles right out of the box. I have only broken a rear hub since january.

I would go with what you can get support with at your local track/ hobby shop.

I am not a big Team Associated fan, so I went with the TOP. In most cases you will have to order parts online with a TOP. What I liked about the TOP is that it came with both the lipo and 6 cell chassis and a spare set of plastic (arms, knucles, and the such).

Chris
+ 1. Support your local shop though!!! I believe I have used Xray parts on my top as well. I have only run mine indoors, but heard its best outdoors.... .02
TAMAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Both are good cars, but it comes down to a couple of things...what does your local hobby shop have and/or ease of getting parts to support the car. I have owned almost every TC out there and I can say the TC6 has probably the biggest setup window. The car is pretty tough and works well on both carpet and asphalt. AE does a lot of work in the US to support on-road racing and always provides a competitive product and makes parts readily available.

Good luck with your decision and have fun racing!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Stock or MOD ?
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the top photon and team associated tc6, along with the tamiya 417, are the top 3 cars at our track, running mod on a clean medium traction 150 ft backstraight track parkinglot.....
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
+ 1. Support your local shop though!!!
+1

I recently got back into Touring Cars and ended buying a TCX special ordered from my LHS. Had I not liked the purple color better than blue (TC6) or red (Photon), I would have gone with the TC6 for better parts support. Driving wise, I've found that at my skill level, I get the same times with the TCX as with my 14 year old RS4 Pro!!!

So the moral of the story is, buy what you can easily get parts for at your LHS unless you have a serious color preference. You will suck or run just as good with any car.
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A few of the fastest guys locally recently switched to Xray from TOP, Tamiya and Corally.

I love my 2 Photons. It took me a while to learn how to build everything right and a few upgrades to get my cars to a point where they're pretty durable. Out of the box, some of the plastics seem to be either too soft or too brittle. Front dogbones have to be changed from alloy ones to steel. Their screws generally suck and the ones they give you for the suspension mounts should be longer. Kit bumper is too soft... There are many things I could say that could be considered negative, but I really do love my Photons. I just know all of their idiosyncrasies now.

I'm sure some TC6 guys would have all sorts of things to say about what could be better on that kit too. From the handful of them that I've seen at the track, the word "durable" is definitely not something I would use to describe them. I've seen bearings blown apart and a couple of epic carnage yard sale crashes. Broken bits everywhere. A big part of that is probably the guys who were driving them though.

I doubt I'll change brands anytime soon, but if I was to start fresh today, I would probably buy an XRAY T3 '11. Everything costs more, but it is excellent quality. I can also get good support locally.

I think all of these kits and many more, can win championships, if set up and driven by the right set of hands.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

For what it's worth, I raced both the Photon and the TC6 last carpet season. Between the Top and the TC6, I'd definitely go with the TC6. For me, it was faster right out of the box. Both cars are a mixed bag for parts quality, Top is good to deal and so is Associated. JMO
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No issues with durability on my TC6. I've broken a couple c-hubs and one arm all in crashes that would have broken same on my Corally. Parts for the Associated are very inexpensive as well.

The kit bearing quality is suspect. I had a couple hub bearings come out in pieces. The outside races were even broken. I replaced with some Avid's and have not had any issues since. At $1 a bearing this is a cheap issue to fix.

Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

since we are talking about chassis...how is the new Schumacher mi4(cx version) doing at the tracks?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

I just picked up a tc6 and i love it, but i heard rumor that associated might be doing away with onroad R&D again, like they did before. Gonna be focusing on offroad. If there is any truth, hot bodies or xray cause at least they will be trying to make their onroad better.
b4-runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochy View Post
since we are talking about chassis...how is the new Schumacher mi4(cx version) doing at the tracks?
There's one at my track and its amazing