Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock racer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Arrow Stock racer recommendations

I've finally decided to enter the market for a brand new car (I've always bought used) Anyways, I will be racing stock, and I am open to any suggestions for what car to run. I've been running a FT TC3 so far, and I was looking at the new TC4. I also like the Xray T1R (more wallet-friendly than the FK). I was just wondering how much of a difference in acceleration there would be between a shaft and a belt car. I know in mod racing it is mostly negligible because of all that power, but in stock racing you need to use all the power you can get. So, what do you think? Or maybe a different car?
Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

well i chose the zray t1r simply because its just a t1 factory but heavyer and stronger all you have to do is get the light waight driveshafts and other roling resistance things and it should perform like a slightly heavyer t1 factory
Old 09-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

altho im curently racing against some1 with a tc3 and he seems to be unbeatable so the top 5 cars in our club are xray/tc3/and funnly enough tamiya ta03 but if i was you i whould keep your current car but if you have money to kill buy the xray
Old 09-18-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have 2 Xray T1R and have had no problems with it at all. I have noticed when i had my FT TC3 there was alot of maintence which isnt bad but alot of work. I also have a Xray FK and Xray Evo2, so you can say i have every version of Xray besides the first one and I have never had a problem.

Outta the box the car was handling awesome and a saw lots of punch from that free drivetrain they give you.

If you were gonna get a T1R, just try and stock up no C-hubs, Steering blocks just in case you break any. Also try to get some Spring Steel Axles for the steering because the regular axles tend to groove and are a pain to get out. Also build the shocks very carefully so nothing goes wrong because people have had problems (me for one) with them.

Hope it helps.

-Jon
Old 09-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

You should put an HPI Pro4 at the top of your list as well!! The car is super light, drivetrain is free as can be, this thing bone stock will roll across a floor forever, the shocks rival any on the market and it has the punch of a TC3 and the corner speed of a Losi XXX-S, no handfitting of parts or gearbox parts, tech support from HPI has been outstanding! Yes when the car was first released parts were an issue but that has long since be resolved. I have had mine since March and have yet to break anything. It has been extremely adaptable to different track surfaces. The shocks have not leaked a drop of oil in that time with many changes of fluid. Honestly I was able to run a final drive ratio a tooth higher on this car in stock over the previous belt car I was running with no drop in lap times at the end of a run. Associated springs will fit the car with only needing to use the Associated bottom retainers instead of the stock ones.

No I am not sponsored by HPI, I have just had so much success with this car since purchasing it that I felt compelled to respond. We have had six other guys switch to the Pro4 in the past 2 months and they have been very satisfied with their results and several of them are running much faster lap times with the Pro4 over their previous cars.

I agree the Xray is an extremely nice platform as well. In reality almost ALL the cars on the market are more than capable of winning on any given day in the hands of good racers but for stock racing I would seriously look at a Pro4.

Doug
Old 09-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

i agree with Doug.... I RUN AN XRAY BUT THE GUY AT MY TRACK WITH THE POR 4 IS WICKED FAST
Old 09-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

just like jdxray i have broken bothsteering blocks and c hubs i know have alu 1s and i have currently had both my front drive shafts bend so illl be getting spring steel versions of those and i cant speak for the pro 4 seen as no 1 i know has 1 but if atsushi hara has it it has to be good
Old 09-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Go with a XXX-S. I run that car and that thing is so consistant. I love it. Its very easy to drive and is so smooth. The Losi guys are also a big help. Just e-mail one of them and they will send a response back withen 24 hours. (depends on which day). The top 3 guys at my track run XXX-S. They are also very easy to setup. And the car doesnt brake as easily as the TC3.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

I'm going to suggest something different. Keep the FT TC3 and get a BMI ETC3 chassis for it. It will elminate the torque steer you get with the tub chassis and makes for a much more responsive car. Nevermind, just noticed BMI in your signature. Go with the X-Ray but I think you would be happier with a FK instead of the Raycer.

http://www.bmiracing.com/
Old 09-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

I run an XRay Factory Kit and love it, but I'm going to echo Doug's thoughts about the Pro4. It's got the most insanely free drivetrain I've ever seen and it didn't take alot of extra work to get it that way. The thing will spin forever - and for stock, that's how you want it. I don't think the Pro4 platform is going to rob you of any power, that's for sure.

Rob
Old 09-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Okay, so far, the cars I am considering are: Xray T1R, Xray FK, HPI Pro4, and AE TC4. I currently have a BMI TC3, which is not bad at all, but I'd like to try something new. So, I'm assuming it's safe to say that the Pro4 will have the best punch out of my choices. How big of a difference will the Pro4 be from the Xray's?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know that there's going to be THAT much difference, but there's not really a quantifiable test that's going to give you hard numbers.

Either will be fine. And, of course, the Associated cars have already proven that they're competitive.

I used to drive a XXX-S G+ and loved the corner speed - just couldn't get the danged thing to turn... but, I digress.

Rob
Old 09-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

I'd say go with the Pro 4. Easy to work with, don't need much hop ups out of the box, and fast.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Get what the most of the local racer's have. It's no fun trying to get help will an Exotic car when everyone drives a XXX-S or TC3. lol
Old 09-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Xray isn't exactly "exotic" nowadays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.