R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tweak good, Ride height bad (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/50681-tweak-good-ride-height-bad.html)

donoman 09-19-2004 04:27 PM

Tweak good, Ride height bad

Hi,

I can get my tweak perfect.
Then my rideheight on left vs. right goes to hell. I am as far as 1 mm off from left vs. right.

How about you guys?

My battery side is higher, even with my TC3 chassis milled out more. Oy oy oy!!!

JDXray 09-19-2004 04:34 PM

Maybe the chassis is tweaked. My guess.

ALBERTO 09-19-2004 05:18 PM

tc3's are hard to tweek all the weight is on the battery side.. I think thats why there's is compartment on the side of the motor to add lot O weights then and only the will tweeking be easier. Good luck!!!

Jack Smash 09-19-2004 05:23 PM

Lower the ride height on the high side an equal amount and then set tweak. It sounds like you have too much preload on the right side shocks. Keep in mind while setting tweak for every adjustment of adding preload to one shock, you can decrease preoad on another.

Speedie 09-19-2004 05:24 PM

You need to start by scaling your car if you want the ride height to be even with the tweak set. You at least at a minumum have to have the left right weights right.

Here is a thread we had a while ago about scaling
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hlight=scaling

rough512 09-20-2004 12:56 AM

Work on having your car balanced Left to Right. Only then should you start working on the tweak.

donoman 09-20-2004 01:59 PM

<edited to remove erroneous information!!!>

Jack Smash 09-20-2004 03:27 PM

Setting tweak is making sure the sum of the downward pressure of the left front and right rear tires is the same as the the sum of the downward pressure on the right front and left rear tires. It does not make sure the chassis is balanced from left to right. You can set the tweak on an oval car even though most of the weight is on the left hand side.

With that said, you can set the tweak on a TC3 and get the left and right ride heights very close. Lessen the spring preload on the right front and right rear and start over setting the tweak. Pay attention to which shocks you add and remove preload. If you need to add preload to the right front, you could add it to the left rear or take it out of of the left front or right rear.

sharkman 09-20-2004 04:01 PM

If you set your ride height first and then adjust your tweak, your car should be ready to go. The important thing here is balance. If properly tweaked your car should track and handle normally. If you worry yourself with ride height you will have a car that wanders and is hard to drive.
It is a fine balance between the two and I don't believe you can have it both ways ( maybe if your lucky). Like I said, set ride height then tweak and your car will not notice if one side is 1/2 to 1 mm off.

psmart2 09-20-2004 06:36 PM

I always try to set my ride height to be equal on the left and right side first, then put car on tweak board or however you measure tweak, lift etc. It is easier when you have a car that is balanced such as the XRAY. With a shaft drive car you will probably need to add weight to the opposite side of the batteries. If the cars weight is balanced I have found that unless something is bent or chassis is tweaked, the car will always measure properly on the tweak board and have equal ride height left to right. Another thing to check is your shock springs. In measuring length and spring pressure I have found a lot of inconsistency in springs.
Hope this helps.

Speedie 09-20-2004 09:48 PM

Tweak is not balance. The tweak can be set on a car that is way out of balance. I.E. the pan car example from the earlier post.

Thier should not be a deviation in ride heights from left to right. That is the reason for scaling and balancing the left and right weight percentages. The left to right and front to rear % cannot be changed with shock collars it must be set with the static weight in the car, you can jack on every collar any way you want to and the L-R and F-R% will not change. Tweak is not something you want to set on a touring car it is something you need to check. If you setup your car with perfect ride heights and put it on a tweak board and it is off something is wrong. It is very important in RC as well as every other racing venue to scale the car. Weather you use scales or balance pins either way its not something you can ignore. Left right balance is the most important, Front to rear can be set by the feel of the car on the track.

donoman 09-21-2004 02:24 AM

I agree now, that makes a lot more sense.

It's a lot more complicated than I had imagined. My initial thoughts would only work if the car was put on the balancing scale in front and held up on a fulcrum in the rear. nope nope nope

donovan

gearless 09-21-2004 05:39 AM

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=37837

See this link, you may find it helpful.