Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Like Tree47Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Old 10-28-2017, 01:28 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering View Post
I actually started with the Joel Myberg set up (well close as I could get with the parts I have), which added the anti dive and a few other things. It helped a lot but since moving to the Hudy C1 tyres (I was given a load of used ones) it's become very prone to hooking in the corners, while being a bit understeery on ashpalt. I'm thinking of getting the fine light blue and blue green springs as they're more in line with the modern spring rates. Worth a shot?
Im not familiar with that car, but there are plenty of things carpet guys do to prevent the issues you're having with the modern chassis. I'm sure someone can help you at the track. Perhaps theres someone that can help you at your track? One thing you can try is gluing the sidewall/seam with super glue. Start with halfway up the side. These two videos have good info on how they do it. You don't need the tire sander device unless you are competing nationally IMO.

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Im not familiar with that car, but there are plenty of things carpet guys do to prevent the issues you're having with the modern chassis. I'm sure someone can help you at the track. Perhaps theres someone that can help you at your track? One thing you can try is gluing the sidewall/seam with super glue. Start with halfway up the side. These two videos have good info on how they do it. You don't need the tire sander device unless you are competing nationally IMO.

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8p6z33z3A" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I tried the gluing when I was using sorex 28s, it certainly helped but mostly because it reduced front grip a lot, making the car understeer. I'd rather find a way of getting more rear stability and keeping the front solid like it already is.
Iv got a suspicion I'm running way too much Ackerman, I will also try some softer springs on the back although that would give a big difference in spring rates front to rear.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Pro4 Exotek!

Yes, the good old Lady with Exotek Full Conversion is very competitive!

Car is just amazing! A friend of mine drove my racing car in 13.5t Stock and he's had no problems at all to hold up with the speed of the Xray and Yokomo guys! The car has so much corner speed and good traction and you can feel the advantage of a shaft driven car in and out of the corners. Also, the car is very easy to setup. HPI Pro4 and Exotek is a winner! Pictures of my spare car (for sale)
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-bild1.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-bild2.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-bild3.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-bild4.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-bild5.jpg  

Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

I actually started with the Joel Myberg set up (well close as I could get with the parts I have), which added the anti dive and a few other things. It helped a lot but since moving to the Hudy C1 tyres (I was given a load of used ones) it's become very prone to hooking in the corners, while being a bit understeery on ashpalt. I'm thinking of getting the fine light blue and blue green springs as they're more in line with the modern spring rates. Worth a shot?
For carpet, I pretty much always fell back on the the box setup, to the exception of white springs all around and a bit of arm sweep (front inboard toe-out).

Without necessarily gluing the sidewall (although it might help of course), be sure to check the gluing of your four tires after each run. In my experience the rubber gets torn off the rim very easily.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Havn't been to this thread in a while but i thought I would give some of you an update on what I have been doing with my FK05.

Basically I have only raced twice with it, running in the stock 25.5 VTA class, still getting my feet wet you could say, and the car has performed very well, is drivable and durable (which I have regretfully tested lol)

The most recent race I was at just a couple weeks ago I got second to last in basically every heat and the main (just a single main it was a slow club day). So I decided I needed to rejuvenate this car (and my driving skills) if I ever want a chance at podium, let alone winning against these guys and their brand new T4 18s and 7.2s etc.

I bought all new O rings for the shocks to do a complete shock rebuild, along with some new shock oil of course since I have not rebuilt the shocks since last year...oops! I also bought the spring steel axles so I will not have to worry about them becoming mushroomed. And finally I somehow found a lightly used MultiDiff and I have thrown that in the car and have been using it as a spool recently, though I may go back to the ball diff because the car just pushes so much with the spool.

Eventually I will have to upgrade my motor (hobbywing) because I know the Motivs and Reedy's have more punch, and probably a better lipo too, but that is for later down the road. Right now I am just focusing on making the actual mechanics of the car the best they can be!

I am excited to let you know my results, everyone at my local track is telling me to just get a new car, but I think this FK has more in her that I have not been able to unlock yet. I think it will be funny when I start beating them with a 13 year old car! haha
Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am running older xray as well. T2'008 for VTA. T3'11s for TC and USGT. I am not finding huge differences with motors for straight line speed, but do find punchy lipos will make a difference.
USGT finding very competitive. VTA as well.. but the car flexes a bit too much if I get fast. TC well that's the $$ class.. so just running and having fun

James
Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That car is up there already, just a few adjustments(less rear toe, looser unshielded bearing shim fit,etc,) here and there for it to start winning...
Old 09-13-2018, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya 414 versus Yokomo BD8 2018

One on one battle between a Tamiya 414 (grey car) with a front one-way and Dodge Stratus body against a Yokomo BD8 2018. THE OLD CAR WAS NOT COMPETITIVE

Tamiya 414 - 14.8s/lap
Yokomo BD8 2018 - 13s/lap

Old 09-13-2018, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

And the only issue the 414 has is a lack of front end grip.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitrofish48 View Post
Havn't been to this thread in a while but i thought I would give some of you an update on what I have been doing with my FK05.

Basically I have only raced twice with it, running in the stock 25.5 VTA class, still getting my feet wet you could say, and the car has performed very well, is drivable and durable (which I have regretfully tested lol)

The most recent race I was at just a couple weeks ago I got second to last in basically every heat and the main (just a single main it was a slow club day). So I decided I needed to rejuvenate this car (and my driving skills) if I ever want a chance at podium, let alone winning against these guys and their brand new T4 18s and 7.2s etc.

I bought all new O rings for the shocks to do a complete shock rebuild, along with some new shock oil of course since I have not rebuilt the shocks since last year...oops! I also bought the spring steel axles so I will not have to worry about them becoming mushroomed. And finally I somehow found a lightly used MultiDiff and I have thrown that in the car and have been using it as a spool recently, though I may go back to the ball diff because the car just pushes so much with the spool.

Eventually I will have to upgrade my motor (hobbywing) because I know the Motivs and Reedy's have more punch, and probably a better lipo too, but that is for later down the road. Right now I am just focusing on making the actual mechanics of the car the best they can be!

I am excited to let you know my results, everyone at my local track is telling me to just get a new car, but I think this FK has more in her that I have not been able to unlock yet. I think it will be funny when I start beating them with a 13 year old car! haha
I've been running my customized fk'05 in the BRCA Clubman's championship 17.5t this year, and ok I haven't exactly been anywhere near the top of the leader boards (mostly due to other factors such as electronics & tyre prep which I've been steadily improving) but the chassis has been incredibly reliable and quite quick!! Beating many t4s & ARCs. The new custom chassis helped a lot with balance & flex, improving lap times significantly.
I also found the car pushed a lot with the spool so have been using the multi diff in one way mode.
Of course, as spares dry up I will probably have to change to a newer chassis eventually, but until then the fk'05 is still going strong!!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

What kind of parts do you need? Im sure you can find someone to 3D print them Just need a bunch(as in alot) of good measurements.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
What kind of parts do you need? Im sure you can find someone to 3D print them Just need a bunch(as in alot) of good measurements.
3D printed parts are generally no good for suspension.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi all. I still run my rclabs. had a good go last night indoors 13.5t blinky. felt really good need to take the one way diff out as it was too snatchy but other than that very promising. looking forward to running again next week!

wanting to do some major indoor UK winter rounds with it and some clubmans next year outdoors

Last edited by chrisimp; 09-13-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by chrisimp View Post
need to take the one way diff out as it was too snatchy but other than that very promising.
I find that going to a much harder shock on the front calms down the snatching but you still get the crazy turn in ability from the one way

Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I find that going to a much harder shock on the front calms down the snatching but you still get the crazy turn in ability from the one way

Cheers for the tip, Its been many years since trying to race tourers, last three years ive been 2wd off road and before that gt12! will give that ago before pulling the front end apart!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service