Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The fantom 5000 mah lipos did hold better voltage than the TP3300.... I have lightened up my tc4 enough to give the 7500 graphenes a run...I'll probably end up with a 1400gram car, but I am hoping the graphenes and zero degree toe will make a difference....
Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

TB03 still taking names in USGT.

TB03 is one of the best old school cars there is.

For me it's a toss up between the TB03 and the TA04.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
TB03 still taking names in USGT.

TB03 is one of the best old school cars there is.

For me it's a toss up between the TB03 and the TA04.
It's not a bad chassis at all. Tamiya always seems to have their suspension geometry pretty well sorted out, then they shoot themselves in the foot and make the kit chassis plate an injection molded bathtub!

Good to hear you're having fun and success.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
It's not a bad chassis at all. Tamiya always seems to have their suspension geometry pretty well sorted out, then they shoot themselves in the foot and make the kit chassis plate an injection molded bathtub!

Good to hear you're having fun and success.
They also released an EVO version that used dual deck carbon fibre, for those that required it. Also, tub chassis can work. The TC3 didn't have a problem with it back in the day.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
They also released an EVO version that used dual deck carbon fibre, for those that required it. Also, tub chassis can work. The TC3 didn't have a problem with it back in the day.
Yeah, but TC3's got to run foamies. You can run 40 pound per inch springs with those.

There is an inherent problem with the chassis being too wide at some point.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Yeah, but TC3's got to run foamies. You can run 40 pound per inch springs with those.

There is an inherent problem with the chassis being too wide at some point.
While true, the TC3 setup sheets for team drivers running rubber tyres typically showed silver and blue springs (15-17 lb?) with the wide tub.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I remember old SoCal track setups for TC3 rubber tire/asphalt using Gold font and Silver rear. Some even Red front Gold rear. Or Gold front and rear.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default !!!

Here's my TA04 with new motor and shocks installed.And a new Protoform Cadillac body.
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-img_1635.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-img_1638.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello! ...I have a question regarding to Tamiya TL01 chassis...I also recently upgrade my TL01 chassis with Hobbyking X car brushless system...basically 60A ESC with sensored combo motor 4000kV 8.5T, for battery I chose Turnigy nano-tech 2S2P lipo 4200mAh...I also replace plastic bushing with ball bearings...solve some steering issues with setup arms...but still I am wonder is this chassis even capable to manage so powerfull motors? ...I think that I also need to replace drive shafts and also 19T pinion gear...with some metal version...what kind of ESC setup do you use...for example...motor timing and initial acceleration...probably the lowest possible? ...thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rccartips
Video was back in 2010, no shorty yet. TA04 c-hub and knuckle on plastic TL01 arms for some caster.

Here is a 2016 video, with shorty

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Hello! ...I have a question regarding to Tamiya TL01 chassis...I also recently upgrade my TL01 chassis with Hobbyking X car brushless system...basically 60A ESC with sensored combo motor 4000kV 8.5T, for battery I chose Turnigy nano-tech 2S2P lipo 4200mAh...I also replace plastic bushing with ball bearings...solve some steering issues with setup arms...but still I am wonder is this chassis even capable to manage so powerfull motors? ...I think that I also need to replace drive shafts and also 19T pinion gear...with some metal version...what kind of ESC setup do you use...for example...motor timing and initial acceleration...probably the lowest possible? ...thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tamiya wrc
Stop typing with a stutter. It makes it hard to figure out what your question is.

The quick answer is no, the Tamiya TL01 is not a good candidate for the power your 8.5 turn motor will make. It will probably hold together for a while though. As opposed to getting metal gears and other parts I would upgrade your chassis to something more durable and modern, such as a 3Racing Sakura 0 for $100.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the video was Tamiya 12T sensorless motor. If 8.5T yes you might need the metal shaft and start with a smaller pinion
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
While they look the same I believe they Pro 4 axles are metric and the TC4 axles are imperial. Its not a huge difference but enough they aren't interchangeable
Thanks for the info ShadowAu. I had a feeling the Pro 4 and TC4 Axles were different (the treaded - metric part makes the difference).
Old 03-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
Thanks for the info ShadowAu. I had a feeling the Pro 4 and TC4 Axles were different (the treaded - metric part makes the difference).
It's not the threaded part that makes the difference, you could just use a different nut. The bearing size requirements are what matters.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tamiya wrc
Hello! ...I have a question regarding to Tamiya TL01 chassis...I also recently upgrade my TL01 chassis with Hobbyking X car brushless system...basically 60A ESC with sensored combo motor 4000kV 8.5T, .
I ran my TL with a 9T motor, afriend ran his with a 5T
The powertrain can cope, although get a good pinion . You will need to replace one of the internal plastic gears every now & then, through wear, not breakage.. However , no so sure the chassis will cope, speed wise.
It will be OK untill the 1st corner

The TL01 has some brittle plastic parts, so will break easily on crashes, compared to say a bulletproof TT01

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.