Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I remember reading an old thread where a racer compared one set of spec tc tires with another set that were 5grams lighter per tire, and the difference was noticeable to him. So it's just something that needs to be considered at some point...
Sorex tires are 24grams each while the gravity tires I am using now are 32grams to 33grams.... That's 8 to 9 grams difference that can make a difference...
Also , the Sorex wheels can also be grinded down another three to four grams, furthering the gap...
There was a company that specifically sold a tool for doing this. I can't remember if it was EU or HK made though. Not only did they reduce weight but where trying to control wheel flex as well.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I seem to remember there being rules at every spec tire race telling us not to screw with the spec tires beyond gluing and balancing. Cutting rims or other weirdness to lighten or increase/decrease flex was explicitly prohibited. This kind of thing is why we run spec tires.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, that was the Xceed rim shaver used mostly on nitro foam tires... I used it on my old sweep tires and got two grams off each rim after about an hour of wrist twisting work. I am hoping the drill will speed up the process, but if it's prohibited, then that just saved me alot of headaches....Thanks Desert.......
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
There was a company that specifically sold a tool for doing this. I can't remember if it was EU or HK made though. Not only did they reduce weight but where trying to control wheel flex as well.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 01-13-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi All,

I'm new here. just to share my rebuild Tamiya tb 01.
Chassis and some parts were bought over 15 years ago !

Tamiya carbon chassis
original gear differential at rear
3Racing alum. solid axle spool at front
Tb evo II hard suspersion arm
TA 04 C hub and upright for both front and rear
3Racing Swing Shaft
Tamiya Super Short Big Bore Damper
GPM FRP Damper stay
GPM motor mount
GPM steering arm
GPM alum.main drive shaft
Tamiya Alum. Suspsion mount
BLITZ 190mm Body
HobbyWing V3.1 + 13.5T
Sanwa MT44
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-20170120_132813_hdr-small-.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-20170120_125340-small-.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-20170117_213117-small-.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-20161228_105637-small-.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-20170117_213135-small-.jpg  

Last edited by walrusjon; 02-05-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by walrusjon
Hi All,

Tamiya carbon chassis
original differential at rear
3Racing Swing Shaft
GPM FRP Damper stay
GPM motor mount
GPM steering arm
BLITZ 190mm Body
HobbyWing V3.1 + 13.5T
Sanwa MT44
Looks great!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

OK guys, I just dusted off a TC3 and did the mods to get brushless gearing on the car. I have now raced it three evenings and I love what I am seeing. Great responsive steering and it reacts to tuning changes predictably. I am running it in USGT and having a blast with it. What makes it so good, It has a very stiff and light weight chassis (tub graphite) and a very efficient drive line. Everything is tucked in close to the center of the chassis to produce a lower polar moment of inertia which makes the car change directions quickly. Plenty of parts and hop ups (if you need them) are available.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default T312

I've found it to be pretty good. It's only lagging characteristic is lack of roll center adjustment. When I say that; I mean, from the lower control arm and I know it's there. Try to find the hangers. Other than that, if you don't want to change gearing too much, it's not bad.

Old Guy's TC3, is a lower all around, when you look at the shock towers. And the it's all graphite so, it's as light as you can get. Not to mention, if we do the AGE/lapTimes or even the $/second his wins by a long shot. Hmm, I think I just invented a new class.

So, if we do the math on the latter, Guy's cost is, guessing at the average cost of a TC3, after depreciation; ~$7ps and mine is more like ~$20ps. That only includes the estimated price for a chassis. That includes no other items since, after talking to him, it seems like he, actually didn't put any more money into the car. The rest he had lying around for testing (Sunk Cost). So, that seems like the fairest test.

PS, I did find a T3 2012 with motor, speeder and servo for $100 on Ebay. However, that's an outlier. I'm sure that was liberated from the passenger seat of it's owners' car or something like that.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by walrusjon
Hi All,

Tamiya carbon chassis
original gear differential at rear
3Racing Swing Shaft
GPM FRP Damper stay
GPM motor mount
GPM steering arm
BLITZ 190mm Body
HobbyWing V3.1 + 13.5T
Sanwa MT44

Very nice!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Glad to hear the TC3s are doing well. I have mine still in race trim from about 15 years ago , I need to get it out and see how it compares against my more modern cars again. I always liked that chassis. Durable, worry free and fast.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

This is probably my best result to date with my stock TC3 from last weekend. Managed second, even though my best lap and top 5/10 average were nothing special. Pulled it off with consistency.

The finals didn't go so well. I had decent enough pace, however in all 3 finals I got taken out on the first lap and played catch up for the rest of the race.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by raj1
I've found it to be pretty good. It's only lagging characteristic is lack of roll center adjustment. When I say that; I mean, from the lower control arm and I know it's there. Try to find the hangers. Other than that, if you don't want to change gearing too much, it's not bad.

Old Guy's TC3, is a lower all around, when you look at the shock towers. And the it's all graphite so, it's as light as you can get. Not to mention, if we do the AGE/lapTimes or even the $/second his wins by a long shot. Hmm, I think I just invented a new class.

So, if we do the math on the latter, Guy's cost is, guessing at the average cost of a TC3, after depreciation; ~$7ps and mine is more like ~$20ps. That only includes the estimated price for a chassis. That includes no other items since, after talking to him, it seems like he, actually didn't put any more money into the car. The rest he had lying around for testing (Sunk Cost). So, that seems like the fairest test.

PS, I did find a T3 2012 with motor, speeder and servo for $100 on Ebay. However, that's an outlier. I'm sure that was liberated from the passenger seat of it's owners' car or something like that.
Battery was over a year old, new one on the way. Body was old one, new one mounted awaiting paint. Motor, esc and servo were liberated from my VBC Do5 that last ran at the regionals a year ago. I did buy a set of tires so they were new last Sunday.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TC3 roll center adjustments...

Even on stock TC3, it is possible to make additional roll-center adjustments by either putting shims between the a-arm mounts and the chassis and/or putting shims between the shock tower and the transmission case.

On the a-arm, you just have to make sure to use shims that will fit inside the front/rear bumper holes. The blue aluminum Associated shims for the newer cars will work just fine for this. I've only ever used 1 shim in this area so it would still allow the a-arm mount to fit at least partially into the front/rear bumper.

As far as shimming/raising up the shock towers so you change the camber link angles, this will also affect the shocks. I've only used a small shim in this location and also made sure to use a longer screw to hold down the shock tower. Make sure to not use too long of a screw to hold down the shock tower because it can interfere with the diffs.

----------

There were some aftermarket companies that made shock towers for the TC3 that had more shock mounting locations but I don't recall any that had different camber link locations.

The simplest option to get more camber link adjustment on a TC3 is to replace the stock chassis braces with TC4 chassis braces. The TC4 braces have 4 different locations for the inner camber link mount and you can use taller ball studs and/or shim the studs for a lot more adjustability.

At the same time you can also change to TC4 shock towers, which also have 4 different mounting locations.

Some people have referred to these changes as TC3.5.

Hope this info helps.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

That is very good performance from a tc3 stock... Keep up the good work...
I will be testing the new Fantom v-spec 5000mah lipo this weekend. Hopefully they will hold higher voltage than the 3300 TP packs...
Originally Posted by gigaplex
This is probably my best result to date with my stock TC3 from last weekend. Managed second, even though my best lap and top 5/10 average were nothing special. Pulled it off with consistency.

The finals didn't go so well. I had decent enough pace, however in all 3 finals I got taken out on the first lap and played catch up for the rest of the race.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default TC4 Axles on Pro 4...?

Are Team Associated TC4 Axles the same as HPI Pro 4 Axles?

Thank You
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
Are Team Associated TC4 Axles the same as HPI Pro 4 Axles?

Thank You
While they look the same I believe they Pro 4 axles are metric and the TC4 axles are imperial. Its not a huge difference but enough they aren't interchangeable

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.