Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool car Alcyon, I've never seen another one, that's for sure!

I have to submit my car, the first touring car I ever bought, my Losi JRX-S Type R. Being kinda turned-off on the touring car world and trying to focus on 1/12 scale, I recently took off the wall and put back into battle in stock touring. Nothing wrong with how it drives at all, at the Mile High Indoor Champs in 17.5 it ran good laps even though I never found the right combination of corner speed and fast rotation for the 180s. The shorty pack and modern electronics put this thing right at minimum weight even with the steel bottom plate, the Exotek top plate is a relic I picked up online. The car still has the best features of the Type-R: it puts down power STRAIGHT, the car is extremely durable, and DCJ's come standard on the front end. That, and the shocks are my personal favorite TC shocks, really smooth and low profile.

Due to clearance prices, I have the stuff to keep this thing going for a long time to come. It will always be a project, and its setup and build have been changed many times since the car was new, but the car is respectable, and I like how it felt when I didn't even know what oil was in the shocks in Denver.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks desertrat. Besides what you can see my car also has tamiya 44mm dcj for the front.
one of the major reasons i stuck with this car is because when the trf415 came out and the numerous copies of it, i just couldnt accept a tc with motors placed on one side and batteries at opposite side. It just looks too odd to me. I also really like the jrxs because of its centered motor and batteries.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Two cars that would be a struggle for me if they ever came out. An updated TLR JXS-R metic hardware and gear diffs, and an updated HB PRO-4 with lower shock towers and gear diffs. I really think that these cars woukd put a hurtin on just about everything out there.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Good to see some nice Losi cars still being run,with a little work just about any of these older touring cars can stay competitive!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Running the old TC3 in the VTA class. Tamiya shocks help, but regardless the design still works.
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-tc3vta.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
... an updated HB PRO-4 with lower shock towers and gear diffs...
If this car made it to market, I'd be one of the first in line. The original Pro-4 is a VTA killing machine with the right setup. Gear diffs and a better front driveline (i.e., better materials and machining) would make for a competitive package in any class.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would too... that is if HB could give parts support...
Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Questions??

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Running the old TC3 in the VTA class. Tamiya shocks help, but regardless the design still works.
How on earth did you get that thing geared for 25.5?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
How on earth did you get that thing geared for 25.5?
Dremel. You have to go to work on the chassis and also remove a bit of material so that the motor cam (?) can rotate enough to get the mesh correct. I couldn't get any sort of realistic gearing fitted at first. Once I looked at what was preventing this I just got to work on a little cutting and grinding. I also cut down the rear chassis braces trying to get a bit more flex. I could clean the area a little more but you get the point. I can throw just about any FDR i want at it now.
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-tc3-gearing.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Dremel. You have to go to work on the chassis and also remove a bit of material so that the motor cam (?) can rotate enough to get the mesh correct. I couldn't get any sort of realistic gearing fitted at first. Once I looked at what was preventing this I just got to work on a little cutting and grinding. I also cut down the rear chassis braces trying to get a bit more flex. I could clean the area a little more but you get the point. I can throw just about any FDR i want at it now.
Nice! I have some modding to do to the tc3,was thinking of dremeling out the webbing in the center of the chassis just under the driveshaft. I've seen that done and looks good also gives a little more flex.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

I am still running the Yokomo SD SSG in VTA and I really do love the car. I have really enjoyed it. I like the snap of the shaft drive. I think even though its not any faster than a belt it gives you the sensation of having more response to the power available. I would like to have something from the next generation of suspension geometry like the Yokomo LCG. However they have become something of a collectors item and the price just puts it out of reason. Its easier to go with an R1 or even a VBC Ghost for the money. I would like to have a new, non Awesomatix shaft car. Maybe one of the new Tamiyas. Then again some of them can be so expensive. I dont know how they can ask for $750 for some of these things. Whats it made out of? Unobtainium?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am still running the Yokomo SD SSG in VTA and I really do love the car. I have really enjoyed it. I like the snap of the shaft drive. I think even though its not any faster than a belt it gives you the sensation of having more response to the power available. I would like to have something from the next generation of suspension geometry like the Yokomo LCG. However they have become something of a collectors item and the price just puts it out of reason. Its easier to go with an R1 or even a VBC Ghost for the money. I would like to have a new, non Awesomatix shaft car. Maybe one of the new Tamiyas. Then again some of them can be so expensive. I dont know how they can ask for $750 for some of these things. Whats it made out of? Unobtainium?
LOL my point exactly! I can't understand people using $900 touring cars in vta....but hey I guess if you have it like that!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I for one am watching the TB 06 evo that is set to be released soon.

I don't think I'll ever find myself shelling out 750-1000 on a chassis. No way.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Microtome
I picked up a Corally RDX a couple of years ago to jump into the VTA class. Life happened and I didn't get a chance to run it until late last year. And when I did I put her in 17.5TC. She felt amazing. They all run the best before they break. I clipped a wall and broke a front A-arm. I had some spare parts to get her fixed. But I soon found out that there was not much left out there. I even called Corally USA in Florida to check for better availability. Long story short. I now have two VBC Wildfires. One for 17.5TC and one for VTA.
I think I have (2) mint condition with some spares that I'm willing to sale. PM me if interested
Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Just took my yokomo lcg out of retirement. Went through everything on it. Now it's ready to rock& roll again

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.