Boost is Dead

Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was watching a few jackson rc youtube 17.5 & 13.5 blinky Amain races and I noticed a few cars just blowing by the leader down the straight !!! Usually the Amain leader is the faster guy on the track!!! I don't think everybody was sandbagging until the Amain ! Cheating is still a problem obviously, and I think it's more a cultural problem than anything else. Tech marshalls should be in every pit table verifying that the racers are not tampering with esc buttons, and cross checking via binary codes every car's esc before every qualifier and main . After that check nobody touches the electronics in the cars! Also, No laptops should be allowed period ! Cars should be impounded before the mains, as long as they don't need supervised repairs. It's a shame that grown men would need such a military enforcement of the rules in order to be sure nobody cheated!!! Anybody found cheating loses his ride...and a finger....lol...
Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I was watching a few jackson rc youtube 17.5 & 13.5 blinky Amain races and I noticed a few cars just blowing by the leader down the straight !!! Usually the Amain leader is the faster guy on the track!!! I don't think everybody was sandbagging until the Amain ! Cheating is still a problem obviously, and I think it's more a cultural problem than anything else. Tech marshalls should be in every pit table verifying that the racers are not tampering with esc buttons, and cross checking via binary codes every car's esc before every qualifier and main . After that check nobody touches the electronics in the cars! Also, No laptops should be allowed period ! Cars should be impounded before the mains, as long as they don't need supervised repairs. It's a shame that grown men would need such a military enforcement of the rules in order to be sure nobody cheated!!! Anybody found cheating loses his ride...and a finger....lol...
Wow - there is no way to revive a thread like calling people cheaters. Not sure which videos you say but everyone in 17.5 and 13.5 at Jackson in NJ have been running blinky this outdoor season. You have to understand it is still early on with folks running blinky and we are all trying new things ... sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Remember - don't hate because you don't have rip
Old 05-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

As a race day goes on, lines are fine tuned, traction gets better, optional main race gearing might occur. I would consider that before making an assumption of cheating.
The Jackson crew of racers are at a very high skill level. Strategy is well thought out and they are just fast period.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds great. Why don't you set up and run the tech inspection that you described and tell us how it goes.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Tech marshalls should be in every pit table verifying that the racers are not tampering with esc buttons, and cross checking via binary codes every car's esc before every qualifier and main . After that check nobody touches the electronics in the cars! Also, No laptops should be allowed period ! Cars should be impounded before the mains, as long as they don't need supervised repairs.
Sign me up for that job. Perfect way to unwind after a stressful week at work...

Quite frankly, I'd rather watch paint dry than be responsible for making sure people weren't cheating at weekly club races. When the top 5 cars qualify within a 3-4 second window, it's quite possible that a car could come from a mid-pack starting position without having to resort to rule-breaking measures. If one racer sees a video and says they've caught someone cheating, I'll probably view the same video and see an opportunity to improve my car's setup...

BTW - Removing boost from the equation appears to have tightened up the competition significantly. IMO, the racing has never been closer.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Need to look at the Jackson main in context. We race throughout the day, the track, temps, traction all come into play.

Looking at the quals that lead up to the main, the top 8 guys are usually the top 8. Usually within 1-2 tenths difference over 20 lap avg. The field is tight and honestly very predictable. With the Jackson track, position is everything. I dont subscribe to scaling back performance to go big in the mains. That is usually a bad formula and much tougher to get to the front.

I don't see cheating as an issue at Jackson. The guys are pretty well seasoned racers and frankly could compete at high level at national level events. Performance is not merely which speedo/motor we use it is understand setup, tire prep and mechanics.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There you have it folks!!!! He watches a few videos and right away he can tell who is sandbagging and who is cheating!!! Sir you are missing your true calling...you should be working murder trials as a prosecutor you would have an awesome conviction rate and think of all the criminals you could keep off of the streets! I just have one question.......Do you even race R/C cars? I mean you have a low post count and a very new member date or are one of those that have just joined and you think you know everything?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm guessing you are refering to the video I took of the A main in 17.5 last weekend.

And I'm guessing you are refering to the pass on the first lap on the straight.

If you didnt talk out your a-s and knew the jackson track or the racers there you would understand the circumstances that produced that pass.

Dawson was the purple car in the lead and Goetter was the silver car that made the pass. Dawson and Ron were almost the exact same speed all day but on that first lap Dawsons car looked a little sketchy and he didnt hit the line perfect to get on the straight and ron did. Im guessing that Dawson had to lift to not send his car into the brick wall and Ron was able to go full throttle from the apex of the corner going onto the straight and it made Ron's car look way faster than Dawsons, which was certainly not the case. Dawson and Ron have been fighting for Tqs and wins at Jackson every week we have raced there this year and have qualified within seconds of each other everytime. I know both of these guys and they are most def not cheaters.

Like any asphalt track the Jackson track changes constantly especially when its raining all day like it was last week. Ron's car happened to be better than everyone else's in the main and it happens. Ron's hotlap was within a half a tenth of Dawsons.

These 2 guys are good racers and I dont think cheating is in their vocab.

No find some other reason for being slow in blinky classes.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I'm guessing you are refering to the video I took of the A main in 17.5 last weekend.

And I'm guessing you are refering to the pass on the first lap on the straight.

If you didnt talk out your a-s and knew the jackson track or the racers there you would understand the circumstances that produced that pass.

Dawson was the purple car in the lead and Goetter was the silver car that made the pass. Dawson and Ron were almost the exact same speed all day but on that first lap Dawsons car looked a little sketchy and he didnt hit the line perfect to get on the straight and ron did. Im guessing that Dawson had to lift to not send his car into the brick wall and Ron was able to go full throttle from the apex of the corner going onto the straight and it made Ron's car look way faster than Dawsons, which was certainly not the case. Dawson and Ron have been fighting for Tqs and wins at Jackson every week we have raced there this year and have qualified within seconds of each other everytime. I know both of these guys and they are most def not cheaters.

Like any asphalt track the Jackson track changes constantly especially when its raining all day like it was last week. Ron's car happened to be better than everyone else's in the main and it happens. Ron's hotlap was within a half a tenth of Dawsons.

These 2 guys are good racers and I dont think cheating is in their vocab.

No find some other reason for being slow in blinky classes.
My issue was purely user-error, wrong sauce, wrong time of the day. Good to have close racing.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
There you have it folks!!!! He watches a few videos and right away he can tell who is sandbagging and who is cheating!!! Sir you are missing your true calling...you should be working murder trials as a prosecutor you would have an awesome conviction rate and think of all the criminals you could keep off of the streets! I just have one question.......Do you even race R/C cars? I mean you have a low post count and a very new member date or are one of those that have just joined and you think you know everything?
Your constant non-sense ramblings and rants undermine the theory that high post counts correlate to useful contributions. He might be new an have a lot to learn. What is your excuse?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Removing boost from the equation appears to have tightened up the competition significantly. IMO, the racing has never been closer.

Originally Posted by MDawson
I don't see cheating as an issue at Jackson. The guys are pretty well seasoned racers and frankly could compete at high level at national level events. Performance is not merely which speedo/motor we use it is understand setup, tire prep and mechanics.

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Like any asphalt track the Jackson track changes constantly especially when its raining all day like it was last week.

Originally Posted by MDawson
Good to have close racing.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

This post by Betrands just beggars belief. If you'd have given it even 30 seconds thought you might have managed to work out...

That when we were racing BR Stock motors with fixed timing, there was a large difference in performance due to some people getting the right motor in the right condition on the right gearing, as opposed to those who didn't. Take the boost away and you are back to the BR conditions with a difference in power from one set-up to another.

That the vast majority of people who post on here can't even get their boosted settings right when they have all the instructions and access to people who know how to do it (on here and at their Club) and full manufacturer back up. What on earth makes you think they could hack a speedo without any instructions or any back-up?

That the very last people who cheat are the fast guys. Firstly because they don't need to, secondly because they want to win by their skills. They have a high regard for their competitors who they would not insult by cheating, and thirdly because they would lose everything (sponsors, trophies, reputation) if they were caught.

Why is it that people will type the first thing that comes into their heads without a moment's thought for the logic behind their argument? Have keyboard, can post opinion, can look like a total prat!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
That when we were racing BR Stock motors with fixed timing, there was a large difference in performance due to some people getting the right motor in the right condition on the right gearing, as opposed to those who didn't. Take the boost away and you are back to the BR conditions with a difference in power from one set-up to another.
Really because at the end of Brushed motors it was about how far you could twist the arm to add timing into it....not to mention how many holes you drilled into the stack with out being caught. That was the biggest difference between motors from what I saw. Now the same thing is going on now with people rewinding BL motors. There will always be a difference...there is nothing you can do about it but get better and be a better driver. And there will always be people looking to cheat that will never go away.

That the very last people who cheat are the fast guys. Firstly because they don't need to, secondly because they want to win by their skills. They have a high regard for their competitors who they would not insult by cheating, and thirdly because they would lose everything (sponsors, trophies, reputation) if they were caught.
Are you for real with this statement.....Im going to assume that you are talking about Stock classes....because there isnt anything to cheat with in MOD. The fast guys in stock are the ones that have everything to gain by cheating. If they dont win they can lose everything...sales for their sponsors or even their own company. I guess you missed out on some of the races where top stock drivers of the time had their runs tossed out because of motor "adjusting". And the ones that were caught it doesnt look like it slowed their sponsors or them down much. Im not going to say that they all cheat but I would guess that there is more that do then dont at the top.

Why is it that people will type the first thing that comes into their heads without a moment's thought for the logic behind their argument? Have keyboard, can post opinion, can look like a total prat!!
Agreed....
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That the very last people who cheat are the fast guys.
Winner of the Golden Fantom Dyno Flywheel for statement of the week...
Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Winner of the Golden Fantom
robert kershaw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.