R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #406
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Not sure if its real or a fake BS site. But the Oval guys have already flipped out about it. http://www.trackshrinker.com/

EA
This looks awesome. I'll take two.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #407
Tech Master

I'm reading a ton of complaints about how slow blinky is.....why should we force everybody to slow down etc...

Has anybody run a 13.5 NR and compared lap times and drivability to a 17.5 ramping?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #408
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
My above posted rant is really aimed at the lack of a consistent LONG-TERM rules base. I really believe that every single time things begin to level out in the On-Road community, the rules are changed.

It's just making Nitro look all the better. Now where can I buy the secret tire sauce they used at the 1/8th Worlds?
Lowes or Home Depot
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #409
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Nice to see ROAR protecting us from a major player in ESC's over here. Not to mention, as I have 2 of these does this mean that I can't go and race in MOD with this ESC at a ROAR event? As it seems this is not specified in the ban. Just says roar sanctioned event. As an aside, I have run back to back with the prospec and the MKII in blinky mode and the lap times are the same. So if the spec mode is different I can't tell.
Read the ROAR announcement . The "major Player in ESC"was caught cheating. They were told not to use a certain software and ESC (the version 2) So they backloaded the software onto the first version. They were caught out. Not very smart for a "major player" Although not really surprising considering their past record at TITC 2010 and the rubbish they told racers so they would buy ESC's
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #410
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I'm reading a ton of complaints about how slow blinky is.....why should we force everybody to slow down etc...

Has anybody run a 13.5 NR and compared lap times and drivability to a 17.5 ramping?
Yes...I have ran both. They are comparable in overall lap time but 13.5 feels a little slower on the straights but has more rip out of the corner and is WAYYYYY more controllable and feels so much better to drive.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Yes...I have ran both. They are comparable in overall lap time but 13.5 feels a little slower on the straights but has more rip out of the corner and is WAYYYYY more controllable and feels so much better to drive.

EA
YES

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #412
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:

EA
At TITC 2011 in Thailand I ran two non bosted 13.5 classes ... TC and FWD using two different systems (Hobbywing and SP)

Both classes were great fun to drive with nice power out of the corners
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #413
Tech Master

Quote:

EA
I figured that.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #414
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No one remember when black diamond first came onto the racing scene? Was anyone able to compete with them? Anyone remember the days when tekin was one of the slowest ESCs? Back before they had RPM specific ramping? I don't know about you but I don't like spending $600+ for a race only to find out my ESC isn't competitive.

ESC software development has slowed down for now, partly because of blinky classe popularity. I guarantee software will become more advanced if we shift the focus back on timed software, they'll have a financial incentive to come out with the latest and greatest software. We'll be back to the software wars which is far worse than any small difference in battery voltage or motor HP. For me I never saw big differences between fast and average motors. I never saw a big difference between super high voltage batteries and average batteries. I have seen major speed differences when a company comes out with the next big software change.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #415
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
No one remember when black diamond first came onto the racing scene? Was anyone able to compete with them? Anyone remember the days when tekin was one of the slowest ESCs? Back before they had RPM specific ramping? I don't know about you but I don't like spending $600+ for a race only to find out my ESC isn't competitive.

ESC software development has slowed down for now, partly because of blinky classe popularity. I guarantee software will become more advanced if we shift the focus back on timed software, they'll have a financial incentive to come out with the latest and greatest software. We'll be back to the software wars which is far worse than any small difference in battery voltage or motor HP. For me I never saw big differences between fast and average motors. I never saw a big difference between super high voltage batteries and average batteries. I have seen major speed differences when a company comes out with the next big software change.
i was at vegas when the bd was introduced and with my tekin just standing and watching how much faster those cars were. but with that same rs, i now have the fast car and it cost me $0. so for me i would rather see the software wars continue. tekin has provided all the speed at $0 the cost. i have not seen a motor or battery company giving you free upgrades when the newest techonology becomes available. binky killed progress of our hobby.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #416
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i was at vegas when the bd was introduced and with my tekin just standing and watching how much faster those cars were. but with that same rs, i now have the fast car and it cost me $0. so for me i would rather see the software wars continue. tekin has provided all the speed at $0 the cost. i have not seen a motor or battery company giving you free upgrades when the newest techonology becomes available. binky killed progress of our hobby.
Cost you 0 to upgrade but you wasted your time and money if you were a contender but couldn't get a black diamond. Batteries don't degrade like the C-Cell days. Same with motors. They stay competitive for a long time if you don't abuse them.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #417
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't expect any major leaps in software at this point. I think the ESC manufacturers have pretty much reached a plateau in performance. The last couple of Tekin releases basically just made it a little smoother and other ESC makers have now pretty much caught up to Tekin. There are a handful of very competitive ramping speedos out there now. All of them able to overtime a motor to the point of grenading. It seems odd for ROAR to pick now to drop boosted when there have never been so many competitive choices.

3 of the fastest guys at the local track use ORCA vritra mkII ESCs, 1 uses a hobbywing xerun and then there are a few Tekin's of course. You wouldn't be able to tell which is which from just watching them drive or looking at lap times.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #418
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I don't expect any major leaps in software at this point. I think the ESC manufacturers have pretty much reached a plateau in performance. The last couple of Tekin releases basically just made it a little smoother and other ESC makers have now pretty much caught up to Tekin. There are a handful of very competitive ramping speedos out there now. All of them able to overtime a motor to the point of grenading. It seems odd for ROAR to pick now to drop boosted when there have never been so many competitive choices.

3 of the fastest guys at the local track use ORCA vritra mkII ESCs, 1 uses a hobbywing xerun and then there are a few Tekin's of course. You wouldn't be able to tell which is which from just watching them drive or looking at lap times.
There are no major advances because of the blinky classes. They'll have a reason to put more resources into software development if the only classes left are boosted classes.

What about when brushless first came out. Did you ever think we could set timing based on RPM presets? What about turbo, did you think we would have that? That's just like saying what else can a computer do? There is no way they can advance it any further.

I can think of one other software advance they haven't developed, yet. What about auto timing/boost based on motor load? The software is able to monitor amp draw and dynamically adjust timing/boost on the fly.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #419
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

blinky does NOT force people to race slow cars, mod is always an option if you think you can drive faster than blinky.....

what kills racing is 15 classes, we need to go back to 2 classes, any two just pick and leave the rules for a few years

one track I run at races oval as well and I just laugh at the result sheet with 10 classes and 3-4 guys in each class. in order to even have a b main they would need over 100 guys

so the slowest guy you always lap 4 times is ALWAYS in your race and never has a chance like he might racing in the b or c main
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #420
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
blinky does NOT force people to race slow cars, mod is always an option if you think you can drive faster than blinky.....

what kills racing is 15 classes, we need to go back to 2 classes, any two just pick and leave the rules for a few years

one track I run at races oval as well and I just laugh at the result sheet with 10 classes and 3-4 guys in each class. in order to even have a b main they would need over 100 guys

so the slowest guy you always lap 4 times is ALWAYS in your race and never has a chance like he might racing in the b or c main
Sorry, I used to agree with this, but honestly off-road has just as many classes if not more and their numbers are through the roof.

Mod SC
Super Stock SC
Mod 4x4 SC
Mod 4wd buggy
Super Stock 4wd buggy
Mod 2wd buggy
Super stock 2wd buggy
Stock 2wd buggy

This list goes on...

Two classes is not going to fix the problem...