R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #361
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure what everyone is bleating on about tbh. Running non boost wrecks your motors faster cos you have to gear the nuts off them. Boost isn't hard to set up really is it? Once you have a setting down it works pretty much everywhere, you just adjust gearing like you would with blinky. Boost is just a bit progressive thats all, get over it, infact enjoy it.

Who really doesn't enjoy watching the car change up in to 2nd?

Just run whatever the local guys run and what your club supports, its all about the competition in the end. No-one likes to race an empty class.

Oh yea, and let people do as they want. I hate it when peeps try and force their own opinion onto everyone, we all pay our money, so we should take our own choice. I wouldn't try and get rid of a certain class that others clearly wanted to run just because it wasn't my thing. If I did nitro would be banned

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #362
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

imo boost is still in its early stages,and its not that technology has gone to far but not far enough yet.
when we set a car up for a track it is usually a compromise.
if we ran square race tracks all we would need to setup for is 4 left or right hand corners and 4 straights.
this would make it very easy as all four corners are the same.
fortunately we don't run square race tracks,but tracks with multiple different corners. its impossible to set up a car to be perfect for every corner.
if its set perfect to get the most out of tight 180 corners it wont be perfect for big sweepers,so we need to compromise to an extent so it can driven well on all corners.
this applies to motor/esc settings as well. not so long ago we didn't have much choice but gearing,now we have they advantage not only of dynamic timing but they ability to adjust it to suit our needs.

imo this is were technology is behind or more correctly most of us have not caught up.
if we data logged our running on the track with a overlay of were the car is on the track we would get a much better picture on how to best set the esc boost/timing
we would then know exactly what rpm were doing at every corner and each straight,it would still be a compromise to some extent with multiple corners but give us a much better understanding of what rpm boost needs to start
how much we need etc.
for those having a hard time working out boost its not you don't know enough to adjust it to its optimum,you just don't have enough information to yet
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #363
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
Interesting that the core reason for even considering these product bans has not really been mentioned in this thread. If it was a real and current problem you would think it would have come up in this discussion. There have been a few issues, but they have all been dealt with quickly and proved the system works.

It is clear that NT has a place in RC racing. It is also clear that boost has a place. Seems obvious that having the choice is a good thing.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez, why have you not considered separating the Blinky code from the Dynamic Timing code in your firmware?

I'm sure you've heard how easy is to switch profiles from the time you're tech'd to the time you get on the driver stand. It's published on your release notes:

Quote:
The user can now select from 5 preset Timing Profiles on the RS and RS PRO without a HotWire
RS and RS PRO
TP1 Spec Mode 0deg Boost (LED flashes when in neutral so Tech can easily verify mode)
TP2 15deg Boost, 5442 RPM to 20,000 RPM
TP3 25deg Boost, 5442 RPM to 20,000 RPM
TP4 35deg Boost, 5442 RPM to 20,000 RPM
TP5 45deg Boost, 5442 RPM to 20,000 RPM
C1 Custom settings using Hotwire
C2 Custom settings using Hotwire
Please consider splitting the code into two separate isolated firmware packages.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

[QUOTE=ozzy-crawl;imo this is were technology is behind or more correctly most of us have not caught up.
if we data logged our running on the track with a overlay of were the car is on the track we would get a much better picture on how to best set the esc boost/timing
we would then know exactly what rpm were doing at every corner and each straight,it would still be a compromise to some extent with multiple corners but give us a much better understanding of what rpm boost needs to start
how much we need etc.
for those having a hard time working out boost its not you don't know enough to adjust it to its optimum,you just don't have enough information to yet[/QUOTE]

Sounds great, though I seem to be having some issues getting to this level, given the handfull of hours I have on the odd sunday here and there to go have fun with my toy cars The compromise is called life (work, friends, ect). Lets just have classes that work based on track size/local demand/ ect. I'd rather run a motor/esc set up that doesn't need tweeking so much, thats just me. Some guys love the tweeking-factor, have a class for them. Not knocking it at all. Though sometimes I wonder, will it go beyond blue-tooth, will we need this just to go racing:

"yes yes, you see, the boost it is .0000000001th of a percent off the maximum performance on the 3rd lap, in the 5th corner. Temperatures are going up so we must recalculate what the GPS reading are telling us... also tire diameter has changed, we must re-write the profile"...

I kid, I kid.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #365
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
Sean, go back and look at post #313. Then realize that 17.5 was identified by the motor manufactures to be the stock motor replacing the 27 turn and the idea that they were interested in slowing down the cars so new, unskilled drivers would have a place to get started were they wouldn't be overcome by technology or speed.
All fine and dandy, but that was decided YEARS ago with 4 cell. A 1/12th non boosted 17.5 1s on a track with any grip is pretty much full punch. Not my idea of fun. Now I know what you will say, "run mod". That is exactly what I would do for big races but on the local level, many tracks don't have the turnout to split it into two classes.

Boosted, while still slow is just fast enough to be fun to drive while still being slow enough that a newb should be able to get around the track quite easily. Also, my absolute turd of a blinky motor is good enough enough to win boosted. Win win to me.

As for complexity, if you race at my track and have a Tekin, come find me. I'll set you up and have you straight. I will also explain everything to you so you can know how to experiment on your own. Us 1/12th guys are good about that sort of thing.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #366
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
See I have a problem with your speed issue. Was at Indy a couple weeks ago and was running 17.5 blinky and we were .6 seconds faster per lap then the 17.5 TC blinky with a 96+ foot straight on the track. 10.7 vs 11.3 and I don't see anybody complaining about the 17.5 TC speed on a track that size. So tell me why you think 17.5 blinky 12th scale is slow? The VTA 25.5 guys were turning 13.0 on the track now that was slow. Snowbirds about the same 12.1 and 12.2 for TC and 11.5 and 11.6 for 12th scale 17.5 blinky. Now 13.5 blinky is faster but does it need to be faster to have good competition. Why does everybody have the drag race fast as I can go mentality. Now maybe on an outdoor track with 160' straight does the upping of the blinky classes need to be applied. 13.5 tc and 13.5 12th but that is definitely track size dependent.
It's not lap time, it's feel. No punch off the corners, full throttle pretty much all the way around, boring. I did that in oval for years and don't really feel like going back to it.

Fortunately, my closest track loves boost and we did manage to get enough people together for some good mod racing last year so except for big races (which I doubt I will run if no boosted classes are included), I'll be fine.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #367
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Foam cars are more "stuck" than Touring Cars on rubber tires. I can't speak for everyone but 1/12 1S 17.5 motor w foam tires is almost full throttle the entire track. When lifting from full throttle it is more timing than throttle control. So IMHO although the lap times are faster the skill set is different compared to 17.5 TC. So I think that people are saying they are too slow when they really should be saying they are too "stuck" or "planted" at 17.5 speeds, and therefore boring while others may enjoy the marathon mentality of focus on focusing for 8 minutes, strategy , the chess game. The marathon runner vs the sprinter, two different kinds of racing.
You're right, but isn't this missing a key point? In the days when there was no TC, tracks were smaller, and you couldn't pin a 12th car's throttle for a whole lap. Now TC is here, they couldn't run on a proper 12th track, so tracks are built to accommodate a TC, and 12th cars run on them. They are too big for 12th cars, so you run with the throttle pinned open in 17.5. In Mod, the track is a better size, so you run with throttle 'feel'.

If you put a 12th 17.5 car on a track designed for its size, handling and power, you wouldn't be pinned, and you would have to drive the car. We seem to keep forgetting that most 12th tracks we run on are designed for TC. Why wouldn't they be? Clubs and shops cannot stay open having two tracks, or having a 12th-only track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I am not trying to be a jerk...but is it for for people to drive around the track full pin for 8 minutes? That sounds horrible to me, and yes I have run 17.5 1/12th scale and to be honest I think your description is not that far off, I just wonder why people like it so much.
They like it because they can drive it! You are assuming that everyone has your skill, and they don't. How do you expect to get more drivers in if you push them straight to 13.5 or Mod? Driving a pan car is not easy, and 17.5 gives you a chance. Rather than moaning about it, go down to your local Club/Shop running 17.5, run it, and help the drivers get up to your standard. If they do, maybe they would all want to up the power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Also, my absolute turd of a blinky motor is good enough enough to win boosted. Win win to me.
And that is the point, pure and simple. Boosted allows you to run any motor, as the timing-on-the-fly gives you the chance to make it efficient most of the time, whereas without boost it is only efficient at one time.

This whole non-boosted thing will come to a crashing stop when people discover we are back to motor-of-the-month, and you will need fresh cells most of the time to stay in touch. It is already apparent over here that our change to non-boosted 10.5 means most people will have to buy at least one new motor, and probably two. Also, as I found out last weekend, my 18-month-old SMC 5300 cells are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in the unboosted class, whereas they are fine in boosted.

I know what people think they want, but we haven't given boosted anything like the chance it needs, and we are all rushing headlong into unboosted without thinking through the main advantages of boosted - cels and motors last longer. You can't uninvent things, so once people realise that they rely less on cells and motors in boosted, the pendulum will swing the other way. I give it two years...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
..."yes yes, you see, the boost it is .0000000001th of a percent off the maximum performance on the 3rd lap, in the 5th corner. Temperatures are going up so we must recalculate what the GPS reading are telling us... also tire diameter has changed, we must re-write the profile"...I kid, I kid.
All kidding aside, I began datalogging two seasons ago and found it to be very worthwhile. With temperature, RPM and throttle position I had no trouble keeping my motor "on boil". However, it was another $100 expense for the datalogger, on top of the laptop cost required by the ESC and datalogger, and it weighs a bit too much.

The average sportsman racer/weekend warrior probably shouldn't have to deal with all that complexity. I do believe, however, that there is a place in R/C for this level of race engineering. In fact, I believe it is the only plausible link we as R/C racers have to the world of professional racing in 1:1. A link we should exploit with colleges and trade schools that cater to the 1:1 industry.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #369
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It's not lap time, it's feel. No punch off the corners, full throttle pretty much all the way around, boring. I did that in oval for years and don't really feel like going back to it.

Fortunately, my closest track loves boost and we did manage to get enough people together for some good mod racing last year so except for big races (which I doubt I will run if no boosted classes are included), I'll be fine.
+1 I completely agree. Driving a 1/12 at full throttle on the entire track isn't fun. It's a game of attrition to see who hits the fewest slow cars or barriers.

We set up all the adjustable timing ESCs to perform similarly and the results were lots of close and fast races. Even the newbies enjoyed the action and improved their driving skills because they had to learn how to control their throttles. They couldn't do that while running WOT.

Last edited by AreCee; 04-27-2011 at 09:40 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #370
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Also, as I found out last weekend, my 18-month-old SMC 5300 cells are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in the unboosted class, whereas they are fine in boosted.
Awesome, and completely accurate!

So we want to go "boostless" to simplify things right? It makes no difference. Rather than tuning speedo profiles, we'll be trying different motors, and gearing the life directly out of them to find the combo.

The soaring price of competitive TC's and the sour economy are what's hurt on-road. All the talk of the guys that came back because of "boostless", or left because of boosted is honestly, crap. Those who chose to leave, left because they didn't want to work at their hobby. Those who returned because of boostless will end up quitting again when the guys that beat them in boosted start running boostless and they realize they still can't hang with those that actually take the hobby seriously.

There are racers, and people that just wanna play with toy cars on a track. Players wanna dump their stuff in the trunk after a day at the track, and not pull it out again 'till the next track day. Racers are wrenching on their stuff through the week, trying to find a few more tenths. Boostless will not turn a player into a racer, so the problem remains...........
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #371
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

N/B Novice Stock, Boosted Pro Stock.

And what was wrong with that?