R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #136
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Are you racing spec esc now and getting killed on speed? I am asking because I have not seen this, and i am wondering what I am missing.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #137
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Are you racing spec esc now and getting killed on speed? I am asking because I have not seen this, and i am wondering what I am missing.
The stock classes were very interesting this year at Birds. There were a few folks in 1/12 and TC that were significantly faster than others. It wasn't just car setup and good driving. Could of been motor or batteries. I'm going to try and find out... but it is really hard to test these things without data.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #138
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
I have. Two guys a second faster than the rest of the field.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #139
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
If it bothers you that much don't race.
this statement seems contrary to the stated goal of 'inclusion and growth' in the ranks.

somehow i don't understand what the problem is with a system that reduces operating temps, reliance on battery voltage and motor selection.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #140
Tech Champion

Maybe I should clarify, I haven't seen anything like that since the first brushless Novak race. But that was when nobody knew what to look for vis a vis timing rings. It has been ok for a while.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #141
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
this statement seems contrary to the stated goal of 'inclusion and growth' in the ranks.

somehow i don't understand what the problem is with a system that reduces operating temps, reliance on battery voltage and motor selection.
Nobody forced him to buy a dyno. Nobody is forced to race either.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #142
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
All this because it is 25x harder to break an 1/8 buggy than it is to break a TC or 12th scale.

Limited traction and bumpy tracks are the great equalizer here.
Yes, and the traction that we have in on-road magnifies the difference in power (real or perceived) since we can use all of it, especially in stock class. Boost can attempt to equalize the difference in power due to tolerance in motors and/or batteries. Otherwise, you're back to weeding out batteries and motors.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #143
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I love this kind of topic

Makes me think back to the days of the brushed motor....... fond memories.... But seriously the let boost or not to let boost is really dumb I mean the whole point of competition is to get faster and better.... not necessarily in that order. Rules should never involve buying new equipment. The only complaint that I ever heard about boost was how everyone needed to go out and buy new stuff to compete. I never once heard this is too fast. Because the fact of the matter is that fast in a straight line is not fast around the track. Making people be courteous drivers and not "bashers" should be were rules are made. Stop and go penalties and the like make races cleaner. What is interesting to me is that the difference between boosted an non boosted around the track this year at the snowbirds was within 1 lap with the main winners finishing on the same lap. So as far as I am concerned this BS over fast or slow is just that. And trying to artificially slow everyone down is not effective. Especially not when it comes to buying expensive gear.

The great equalizer between sponsored and non sponsored drivers is and always has been batteries. With the advent of liPo the gap between the sponsored guys and the rest of us was effectively eliminated. I remember going to races in the late 90's where I could never have the battery numbers that the sponsored guys got. Because the manufactures would pull the best numbers and give them to the their top guys. If you really want to slow stuff down why not limit the voltage then no matter how much boost you add you can only go so fast. Let everyone race 1S.

Anyway all this silliness has made me never want to attend another ROAR sanctioned race. And just so everyone knows I love seeing people get better. But not once have I been beaten by a less competent driver that has a faster car. I have however seen guys come and race for weeks trying to figure things out running at the back of the pack. And then one week they show up and are giving me a run for my money. That is fun. That is racing.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #144
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Nobody forced him to buy a dyno. Nobody is forced to race either.
whatever.

really the crux of the problem (from my perspective) is the fact that the whole justification for this schem is just so disingenious.

i wish the blinky proponents would just own up to the fact that this scheme levels the field for the manufacturers, NOT for the racers!

the whole mess could be more palatable, if the argument was, " we need to have more manufacturers at the table. they need to boost sales for more rotors and batteries etc." at lease it would be an honest motivation.

i just don't see more newcomers to offset the racers. i for one will likely go gas racing for the next few months, but won't return to electric this fall if it means buying new speedos and motors, zapped lipos for that voltage edge........

clearly you are not concerned about losing any current participants, because you focused on the new blood that you are guaranteed to attract.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Correct me if I am wrong BUT...isn't this whole thread because the Nationals being held in New Jersy has no "boost" class listed for the race?
I was under the impression that the club or host track was the one that decided what the classes for the race would be, and that R.O.A.R. only has few classes that they require for a national event.
I looked at that clubs web site and as best I could tell that club chooses not to run a boosted class on their regular club races.
I haven't seen any place a statement from R.O.A.R. stating that the class was outlawed for 2011.
I mean did I miss something or misinterpert sometying?
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #146
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Yes, and the traction that we have in on-road magnifies the difference in power (real or perceived) since we can use all of it, especially in stock class. Boost can attempt to equalize the difference in power due to tolerance in motors and/or batteries. Otherwise, you're back to weeding out batteries and motors.
+1
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #147
Tech Champion

Do you honestly think that? That anybody gives a rats ass if Tekin sells 1 millions escs tomorrow? If they did, congratulations and more power to them. If you think anybody cares about what the "best" speed control is, that's nuts.

I know that the rapid development and complexity has turned people off. Say what you will about how it's all not a big deal, it ran off a lot of guys. I know I see more guys coming back now that there is blink mode. Maybe they are not all he-men like everybody else around here, but they keep the doors open at the track.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #148
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong BUT...isn't this whole thread because the Nationals being held in New Jersy has no "boost" class listed for the race?
I was under the impression that the club or host track was the one that decided what the classes for the race would be, and that R.O.A.R. only has few classes that they require for a national event.
I looked at that clubs web site and as best I could tell that club chooses not to run a boosted class on their regular club races.
I haven't seen any place a statement from R.O.A.R. stating that the class was outlawed for 2011.
Your totally wrong. The host track gets to choose 1 class. In this case it was VTA. Roar tells them the other classes they have to run. And at Jackson last year the biggest class was 13.5 boosted.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #149
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Ummm....1/8th scale off-road has a motor limit(.21)...itís not an "OPEN" class like you are saying so your whole argument about it being ďopenĒ is tossed in the trash. If it really was open whatís to stop someone from going to a .28 or .31 motor??? If it was "open" then I bet people would be talking about it....but itís notÖits limited.

Itís not the number of classes in on road....itís the fact that everything changed at a rapid pace and was out of control. At the same time the price of trying to keep up pushed people away. It wasnít fun to have to buy new stuff all the time 3 or 4 years ago. Now On-road has just about got it figured out and itís never been better for racing and people being on a "level" playing field. During that time On-road stopped being FUN period...and people left....it was that simple. Now itís fun again and simple but people want to blow things out of proportion and make a spectacle out of everything in On road because of the past. The future for on road looks good and it looks to be heading in the right direction. Complaining about things that are not an issue like sponsored racers and make it open are not helping anything. If open or Mod was the answer there would be more than 20-30 people nationally racing that classÖ.and even less regionally. The fact is people want to race 17.5 or there about as it is the largest class at most on-road tracks. Do what works for you at your local track or whatever race you are going to attend and have funÖ.trying to impose your will on a class will never work and it will just fragment it even more.

OK not open, but anywhere from .8hp to 2.7hp and anywhere from $89.00 to $489.00 dollar engines. You can still go as fast or slow as you want.
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #150
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
Yes you did:
ROAR rules
"12.1.8 The ROAR Executive Committee will designate the classes and scales that will receive the National Championship designation. IFMAR world championship classes will be the main basis for selecting required classes. Other classes or scales may be offered in support of the event, but will not receive National Championship designation unless pre-approved by the ROAR Executive Committee.

12.1.9 If it appears that a National event for a specific class has become more of a regional event, the ROAR Executive Committee may consider the elimination of National Championship status for that class.

12.1.10 Local procedures and rules that conflict with ROAR rules are not allowed"