Wiki Posts
Search

High Speed set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default High Speed set up

I was hoping some of you could offer your suggestions on a high speed car setup. Like what Car? Mamba system or Tekin RS Pro or RX8 for appropriate scales ...motor Turn size?? Gearing? I'd like to achieve 60-100Mph while keeping the esc/motor the most expensive part. I own several 2S 5200Mah 30C lipos but willing to purchase more powerful batt's if need be-3S 4S, whatever it takes to light it up. Let me know, thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I have an old TC3 with a Mamba Max Pro/5700 that can easily do 60+mph. It is a pretty cheap overall setup that can go extremely fast. I can run it on 2S and its pretty quick.. on 3S its very fast and on 4S its nearly un-controllable it has so much speed I also have a TC4 with the same motor/esc and it works great although it is a bit heavier (but still VERY fast). Unfortunately, these setups build up a lot of heat so I have to run multiple cooling fans on the motors and ESCs or the temps get too high for my comfort level.

Just remember, the faster you go, the more you will break stuff. These old TC3/TC4s are tough, but once you get up over 70+mph, when you hit something, lots of stuff gets broke Luckily, the chassis/parts can be found pretty cheap compared to some of the newer cars.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Torque steer has always been an issue with the TC3 and 4. They could never seem to hold a line when going sraight. I don't know how well they do on speed runs with such low turn motors, but I know mine never tracked straight with a 17.5. I can only imagine it would exasperate the problem ten fold with an even faster motor.

I would look into getting a belt car for this kind of thing. Or better yet, a Pan car.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Funky
on 4S its nearly un-controllable
Motor states 3S and a max of 100,000 RPM. ESC can handle 6S. I wouldn't run more than 3S on the motor.

Originally Posted by Funky
Unfortunately, these setups build up a lot of heat so I have to run multiple cooling fans on the motors and ESCs or the temps get too high for my comfort level.
Not geared correctly. I run 2 2200 mAh 2S and 3S in parallel and hit motor temps of 33-41 degrees C at LVC using same gearing. My speeds are in excess of 60MPH on 3S.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I think they are geared right for my track size. Both cars are geared to hit around 50mph on 2S. Temps are around 160-170 without the fans but max out around 120 (or less depending on outside temp) with the fans. Not excessively hot in either config but I am much more comfortable with the 120 degree temps which is why I run the fans (and reccomended them). Those temps are after a constant 10 minute run in 80-90 degree weather... any motor will build up a lot of heat after that much constant running in hot weather (outdoors). The fans help and I don't mind the extra weight... we are just having fun on an improvised parking lot track.

FYI, I don't run 4S on a regular basis. I mostly run the cars on 2S unless I want to drag race my buddy. Then I run them on 3S. You are correct, the motors are not made to handle 4S (although a buddy has run his Mamba many times on 4S without problems). I have only run mine once on 4S to see how fast the cars could go and the speed was rediculous. We just tried a few drag races to see how quick they were.

Also, with the right tires, we haven't had much problems with torque steer on the TC3/TC4 on our parking lot track, even running these powerfull setups at high speeds. On the indoor carpet track, that is a different story and I have the same torque steer problems with my 17.5 indoor setup.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The following parts are ALL brand new in their boxes ready to be built. My concerns are mainly Lipo choice, Gearing (what is the Stock Spur? Should I get an aftermarket Steel one?) and the Capacitor as I have no knowledge to their purpose and got it as a precaution. I don't have a Hotwire either, I'm going to say right now that you will probably recommend one? Any suggestions or comments anyone can make on these subjects or anything would be really helpful as I am the only one in my area doing this, and my LHS is no help either. This car will be a straight line car, and I am looking for 100Mph or more.

OFNA GTP2E
Tekin RX8 2250Kv
Hitec HS-7945TH
Novak 5685 Power Trans Capacitor Module 4S-6S
RC Monster 24T & 30T Pinion
IGThobbies GT1 350Z Body
SWEEP 50 SHORE EXP Treaded Belted on Black 6IX Packs
Futaba 4PL
Garmin Forerunner 301
Turnigy Temperature Gun

Is the Associated Reedy 5500mAh 14.8V 60C #626, which can deliver 330A of power a good consideration or is that too much? What about going to 5S or 6S, and if so...which?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is there a 32p spur that fit tc4?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by drpower
The following parts are ALL brand new in their boxes ready to be built. My concerns are mainly Lipo choice, Gearing (what is the Stock Spur? Should I get an aftermarket Steel one?) and the Capacitor as I have no knowledge to their purpose and got it as a precaution. I don't have a Hotwire either, I'm going to say right now that you will probably recommend one? Any suggestions or comments anyone can make on these subjects or anything would be really helpful as I am the only one in my area doing this, and my LHS is no help either. This car will be a straight line car, and I am looking for 100Mph or more.

OFNA GTP2E
Tekin RX8 2250Kv
Hitec HS-7945TH
Novak 5685 Power Trans Capacitor Module 4S-6S
RC Monster 24T & 30T Pinion
IGThobbies GT1 350Z Body
SWEEP 50 SHORE EXP Treaded Belted on Black 6IX Packs
Futaba 4PL
Garmin Forerunner 301i
Turnigy Temperature Gun

Is the Associated Reedy 5500mAh 14.8V 60C #626, which can deliver 330A of power a good consideration or is that too much? What about going to 5S or 6S, and if so...which?
Hi, I run a 1:10th Tc4 up to 100mph using 4s, and beyond with 6s.
To achieve the same with a 1:8th I'd recommend at least 6s.
I use turnigy lipos which seem to push as good as anything else on the market.
Just remember that the higher the voltage that you run, the lower the amps that you will need.
I can't vouch for 1:8 tyres but in 1:10 scale, the rubbers usually let go at anything over 70mph, so I use foamies when going for speed.
Good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Now I found someone talking my lingo... Down here in TAMPA FL. the RC scene is heavy! Plenty of tracks both in & outdoor. I personally like both off road and on road... When speaking of ON ROAD I am NOT refering to TOURING... I am talking about SPEEEEEEEEEED! We all use to run 1/10 TC3-4 or 5s until our speeds were just to much for these feathered cars. I now have a OFNA GTP2e (seen in my avatar) w/MMM & 2650 and packed with NOTHING LESS THEN 6s ~ speeds of 85-100!!! Moderately... temps only at 130-145deg. *** and I am one of the slower guys out their late night But then again, no radical gearing and no custom spur gear from RCMonster (Dave) and no crazy tuning or advances on my ESC. Everything is very moderate and I am satisfied with those speeds. Dudes here run over 125's *** CHECK OUT YOUTUBE Under "WORLD'S FASTEST 1/8" U will also see a few more vids of us running (JR, the black guy in the vid, IS THE MAN! Sponsored by CASTLE/Neu and IMAPNEMA Tires. He has PURE ROCKETS that BLUR! by you. He has cars he can't even bring out to a strip since the speeds would consider out 1/4 mile strip as to short or not enough space . As for gearing...Ummm, that is something you are going to have to fiddle with and learn...No one gives thier secret to their sauce, do they? LOL! and finally, as for TIRES... Nothing less then IMPANEMA!!! approx 50-55 shore at best for speed runs. Never seen one blow yet (unless just very worn out or cracked wheel itself...)

Last edited by *JayVee*; 04-19-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

With modern brushless kit you don't need anything special to hit 60mph. The 10.5 TC guys hit that on a reasonable size track, and the unlimited mod guys are at almost 90mph.

All you need is a modern TC (something from the past few years), advance timing ESC, sensored brushless motor and 2S lipo.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey jayvee, sounds like he made the right choice in cars, looks like a car that's worth looking at for my next toy.
I run my tc4 with a MMM also, if I went 1:8th I think I'd go for a mamba XL.
For the 4s runs I use a 36/50 5000kv which is good for 100mph, and for 6s I run a 36/74 2800kv which pushed my little car to a bit over 110mph before I couldn't hold onto it anymore, it has balls to spare, I do have trouble with the diffs though.
If I did go up a scale I'd be able to make use of some of my larger motors in something more than just my offroaders.
I will be looking into those imapnema? tyres, thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xagtho
Hey jayvee, sounds like he made the right choice in cars, looks like a car that's worth looking at for my next toy.
I run my tc4 with a MMM also, if I went 1:8th I think I'd go for a mamba XL.
For the 4s runs I use a 36/50 5000kv which is good for 100mph, and for 6s I run a 36/74 2800kv which pushed my little car to a bit over 110mph before I couldn't hold onto it anymore, it has balls to spare, I do have trouble with the diffs though.
If I did go up a scale I'd be able to make use of some of my larger motors in something more than just my offroaders.
I will be looking into those imapnema? tyres, thanks for the info
NO PROBLEM! You will love the IMPANEMA's! They will set u back approx. $60 for all 4 glued on OFNA DM1 white BBS mesh wheels or 5 star/spoke style available.