R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #16
Suspended

I have a totally different approach than the rest of you. I use a product named Reel Saver made by Mil-Spec. It's designed for fishing reels, which I do use it on as well. In the kit there is oil and grease. When I say grease I'm not talking about anything super thick. It's loaded with Teflon, has very little resistance and can withstand extreme temperature changes (something like -40 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit). The oil based lubricant is basically the same as the grease, but doesn't contain as much Teflon. It is so good that this company developed it mainly for military use. The kit can be purchased for about $15, but mine has lasted me for about 3 years and is still going strong. It is packaged in very neat, clean syringes and is without a doubt the best thing I've ever used for my baitcasting reels and R/C.
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LPS #1 lubricant is very good for bearings. Comes in a spray can, but I just spray it into a old empty trinity oil bottle. It is very very thin, but lubes well.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:31 PM   #18
tornado

I would remove the bearing shield and soak the bearings with ordinary dish cleaning detergent in an old 35mm film cannister....give it a good shake to remove the gunk in the bearing and flush them under the running tap. After the process I'll give a blast with video head cleaner to remove access moisture in the bearing and lube them with Trinity bearing oil, replace the shield and voila ! super smooth bearings I know its a lotsa work but its worth the effort.

Bryan
Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #19
Tech Regular

i spray my bearings with motor spray and then i soak them in wd40 for about 30 minutes and then i oil them, bearings are not that fragile, their all metal constuction and their made to take a beating, and putting a little wd-40 which is only a displaced form of water will not hurt anything
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:17 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

When i do me bearings i will soak them in WD40 in ultrasonic tray & let it buzz away till it`s hearts content,Wd is petrolieum based cleaner & when after it evoaporates it leaves a gummy resiedu (trust me it does),
So i will clean with WD40,it`s a good degreaser,spray off bearings with motor/brake cleaner,let dry then oil using motor bearing oil. And `that`s all folks`
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:38 AM   #21
Tech Elite

use microlon. it is the best do this preperation;

clean bearing totaly with shellite

then once clean, soak in microlon for 2 or 3 days, the longer the better. do the same for the sheilds

place on a paper towel, let it dry, then put the sheilds on.

NO OIL!!

nothing needed, run them dry with just the microlon treatment. i've done this for 4 months no sweat. the bearings are as new.

check out my website for info.
www.rcunderground.net check under "sample articles" in the HPI pro4 review.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #22
Tech Adept

i soak the bearings in a small container of gas, then shake them from time to time, this removes grease and gunk far far better than degreaser etc.

Then you relube them. I do this in my 1/10's, but in my kyosho Mini Z's i don't relube them, they run better unlubed.
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #23
Tech Addict

I use WD40 with my ultrasonic cleaner. Let it soak overnite. Clean them with motor cleaner then re-oil them before races.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Do ultra sonic cleaners actually work?? Ive been thinking about getting one, but the price isnt worth the gamble untill i see one do its stuff...
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiekulhanek
Do ultra sonic cleaners actually work?? Ive been thinking about getting one, but the price isnt worth the gamble untill i see one do its stuff...
Yes, they do work. It does on me. It breaks-up all the grime. dust & gunk that build-up in the bearings. I got mine from a jewelry store for 20 bux. It has 2 compartment for cleaning & rinsing. I use WD40 for cleaning.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

i agree with speedyjay i ride bmx and i think tri flow is great
pink pac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:17 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

go toa music store.. buy some valve lube.. if u ask they should know what it is...

alot of bearing lubes have this in them lately.. it is more of an old secret people use to use.... it is very thin,, and dries to a super light waxy coating... your bearing will spin like you have never seen.. ... at the music places it is 4 -5 bucks for a big bottle.. i have had mine for years.... i wont use anything else...

i race pan cars.. with this lube, 2-3 minutes of spinning on the rear axle is norm.. all i do is spin the raer axle and let it sit.. watch the clock.... boom... i have tested many may lubes in 17 years and this is best.. i have tried mixing it with other lubes ect.. run it pure how u buy it...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:34 AM   #28
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I use 50/50 mix of Militec and MMO.

Do a search of Militec on google to find out what it does.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Dont use WD-40 on bearings! i tried it & it seemed to work well for a couple of races then the bearings dried up! it all went into the diffs, & it degreased them! so i had no oil on the bearings & no diff lube in the diff, dont use it unless you are into rebuilding diffs & bearings every race
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:27 AM   #30
TC3
Tech Regular

it tried wd40 on bearings as well.
they were very smooth after that, but a week later the smoothness was gone !
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote