R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys, glad to see things from Rob K and Garcia with the testing and all. I ran purple fronts and Pink rears in the 4th qualifier and the Main at the Halloween Classic. It was told to me that under really high bite conditions typically found at big races like the H.C. Purple fronts for 12th scale work awesome and i found that to be true. Thanks Wayne Gerber Jr. for all of your help after the 3rd qualifier and to all of the guys like Rob K., Kevin K., Mr. Shaboka and son Stephen and Brad Johnson and the rest of the gang. Couldn't have had a good weekend without you.

Also thanks to T.M. tires and Tony of T.M. along with SMC and Paradigm Motors.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic

Everyone must have had a good weekend.

Interesting development, Jaco has some new tires out and it will be interesting to see how they do at the Worlds and maybe someone will have them at the NORRCA Nat's.

Things will be heating up very fast on the indoor season front i think and with a few new players in the field along with the ole' reliables such as T.M., Jaco, TRC, and BSR it looks poised for the good of the racer.

Black dots seem to be hot and there seems to be some difference between company's brands.

Purples are a staple for the front on 12th scales.

Pinks are a staple for the rear of 12th scales in mod and it seems like more stock guys are also liking them from what i hear. I have heard that there can be some variance in firmness between brands.

T.M. and TRC have some nice soft Grays for the Rear of a 12th scale from what people tell me (re: the TRC's) but i haven't heard much from guys regarding other brands with their Grays.

Does anyone have any expierence with other brands Grays, Cyans and Magentas?

I also heard a good conversation at the Holloween Classic and read on another forum regarding the side bite and forward bite of Pinks vs. Whites. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:20 PM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Dave....Are you going to be out at RSJ this saturday? Maybe you and James and come out and race saturday night. Im not sure when he will get the new carpet but maybe you can jump on Brain to get your Sedan ready so you can come out and race more. Anyway if you have some time this week give me a call when ever....

I must say that the Blacks are very good tire along with the Plaid3 front for sedan there isnt much more you could ask for IMHO.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Hey Kev. Rob and i were talking about going up to Hobby Hub to practice and race this Sat/Sun if they are open so i'm waiting to hear from him on that.

If that doesn't happen then my plan was to go to AJs on Sun for sure to race 12th mod (he has changed the format to 8 min racing) and i was even planning on practicing there on Sat.

However, you bring up an interesting proposition regarding some TC racing on Sat night and i could still race 12th mod at AJs on Sun. All of this is contingent upon Rob and i being able to go to Hobby Hub which i would prefer to do this weekend if possible.

I'll give you a call tonight and i will also call Juch's to see if he can get my TC fixed by Fri, if so then it at least adds the option.

As of right now it looks like Hobby Hub will be open this weekend since the carpet was still down and they just needed to add pit tables and the drivers stand. Rob will let me know for sure though.

BTW, have you found there to be a difference between manufacturers firmness of Purples? Also, what have you found to be the difference between the forward bite of T.M. Blacks vs. T.M. Magentas on a TC?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #95
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by darnold
I also heard a good conversation at the Holloween Classic and read on another forum regarding the side bite and forward bite of Pinks vs. Whites. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
From my experience with natural rubber tires (pinks, purps, reds...) and low content foam tires (grey's, black's, whites...) is that the higher content rubber tires like the pinks tend to grip better, and build heat into them faster then the other tires. They seem to have much more side bite then the other tires. Whites on the other hand do have good bite due to their low duromoter number but slide around better, and cant be overheated and made slick. If my car is real darty and too agressive and I am running a purple RF tire I will find a black to put on that is as hard if only a couple points softer. It will slide more and make the car easier to drive.

If my car is snap rolling going into corners then I know that my rear tires are holding onto the track too well, to the point that its exceeding my tires traction circle and causing my car to roll. If thats the case, and I'm running pinks in the rear, then I will put whites to get the forward bite off of the corner, but to make the car slide into the corner not dig and snap roll.

Granted this is for oval, so the actual tire choices might be different, but i'm sure that you get the idea. Maybe some of the other TM on-raod guys can give some specific examples of what tires to use when running into those situations.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck
Default 12th Scale Tires

Hey Guys,

My name is James Arluck and I just got picked up by TM Tires. I am really excited to get started and try some different compounds, but am a bit overwhelmed by the variety that TM offers.

What would be a good starting point for 12th scale (speedmerchant rev. 4) on medium grip carpet? Up until now i've been using either Jaco Purple fronts and Grey rears, or Jaco Double pink fronts and pink rears. This is for both stock and modified.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to try them out.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Hey TM Tire experts,

I am looking at give some TM sedan foams a try. Since there are so many different compounds, and I'm fairly new to the foam tire world, I thought I would ask for some advise for a starting point. I will be running 19-turn (or brushless) TC. For those that know the track, I run at AJ's in DeKalb, IL. My limited (read: one set) of experiece is with Jaco Plaid/Purples. What would some people recommend as a starting point? It sounds like guys are liking the Plaid3/Black combo, but is that only for real high bite situations? Thanks in advance for any recommendations you have!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #98
Tech Champion

Hey Juan....Hows it going? I would say for Aj's Track with a 19t or brushless that you would maybe start with a Plaid2 and Magenta combo if the wear rate is too high for your taste then go over to the Plaid3 and black combo. The Plaid3/Black combo should be the best bet as they have a great wear rate and good grip. I think RobK was out there a few weeks ago and he really like the Plaid3/black combo. When I make it out there that will be what I start with and if I need a little more bite I will go to the Plaid2/Magenta combo.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:12 PM   #99
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey Juan, when I ran out there last, I did run the Plaid 3/ Black combo. That was great. I also ran the Plaid 2/Magentas, and they worked well too. I think the magentas were better at the beginning of the day.

James,
I would say that the TM purples and gray would be just fine to start with. I know darnold has run just about all the compounds, so maybe he will check in here and give you an overview. You may also want to look at a magenta/pink combo if you are running mod.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #100
Tech Fanatic

James-
I run a Rev 4 in mod.

For medium grip i like Pink Rears and Black or Magenta Fronts.

For high bite (big races that can black groove a track and easily traction roll or bog down a car in the corners) i was turned on to Purple Fronts and Pink Rears.

Cyan's and Magentas for the Front are still an option in this latter scenario if you CA the outside edge and use less tire traction but it's up to personal taste at that point.

It seems that on medium bite tracks there isn't enough grip for the purples but i am going to retry this since i changed my tire sizing.

This is where i am presently, my testing with P2's is still underway and i should know more when i get to the NORRCA Nats in two weeks.

Hope this stuff helps.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:05 AM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default combo's

Quote:
Ovalnator- Would you say that for Mod TC you would want Magenta Rears and Cyan or Plaid 2 fronts? I think that quite a few of the guys run that combination for mod on-road carpet, but i am unsure.
Sorry guys havent posted in a while,
T/C wheels, I am using and convinced they are the best for all situations are the Plaid 3/purple combo's 28mm. They are absolutley KILLER!. I tried the Cyan/magenta combo, fast but very hard to drive, the plaid/purple, allows a fastest entry, and fastest exit in my. I am rrunning them @ 59mm. Awesome! Let me know if I can help some more.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #102
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

rob/kev.

hey...any word on if some of the tracks or online store will be stocking TMs?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #103
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
James-
I run a Rev 4 in mod.

For medium grip i like Pink Rears and Black or Magenta Fronts.

For high bite (big races that can black groove a track and easily traction roll or bog down a car in the corners) i was turned on to Purple Fronts and Pink Rears.

Cyan's and Magentas for the Front are still an option in this latter scenario if you CA the outside edge and use less tire traction but it's up to personal taste at that point.

It seems that on medium bite tracks there isn't enough grip for the purples but i am going to retry this since i changed my tire sizing.

This is where i am presently, my testing with P2's is still underway and i should know more when i get to the NORRCA Nats in two weeks.

Hope this stuff helps.
Thanks for the tips, it helps a lot. What front end and blocks are you running on your rev. 4? What is the difference between blacks and magentas? Any tips for stock?

Good luck at the NORRCA nats.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #104
Tech Champion

Raul.....are you using the Cyna front tire or the Plaid2 with the magentta rear tire....Im not sure if you are calling the palid2 a cyan b/c thats what its like in TRC terms? If you are using the Cyna and its a little hard to drive thats b/c with that thire the outside edge is purple....which will make it have a ton more steering. If you went to a plaid2 with the magentta that will make the steering a little more tame. I usually start my tires at about 61mm for club racing just to get a little more life and with the lower bite they seem to work better bigger. I will try the plaid3 front and purple rear this weekend thats one of the combos that I plan to try out and see how they feel....its good to see that you like it.

Nexus....Im working on it....with the season going into full swing here Im sure someone will have them before you know it.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #105
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
rob/kev.

hey...any word on if some of the tracks or online store will be stocking TMs?
If the tracks or shops start carring them will this mean that they might be a little less expensive? I just got some front and rears to try and they work well but $52.00 is steep. I quess when you use the best it just costs more.
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote