R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

For the sedan guys has anyone been running the new Plaid3 tires yet? I have been for a while and I like them alot. I have been using them along with Black rears and that combo works out very well. They seem to have the feel of magentas and plaid2's but dont get as sticky when the bite is higher. The sedan guys should try them out next time they need some new tires.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Kev, i'm waiting on my tire order. It should be in some time this week so i will get to test the P3's (plaid 3) but maybe not until the H.Classic. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know what is the common tire being used in TC modified right now?
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #78
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

well I'm a believer if you cant get your car to work with purple and plaids then you need to work on your setup. after that its all fine tuning. Just for the record. I started out with my tires at 59MM and I have 3 race weekends on them and still enough for at least one more weekend. thats with purple and double purple. my next order I will start to play with compounds a little more.

Bob
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Thanks B.Barry

I've heard of mod TC guys running Magenta rear and Cyan front and was wondering if this was a staple. In stock i think Kevin's setup will be something guys really want to try.

Looks like Parma has a wonderful tire out as well and it is interesting to see the thought that both Tony of T.M. and Parma have put into their tire offerings.

T.M.'s go for a slightly larger wheel that is fairly stiff and it appears that the Parma's offer a slightly softer wheel which increase the contact patch. I have heard/read nothing but good things about both manufacturers products. It will be interesting what people come up with under different conditions as to what they like and why.

This indoor season should really offer the racer a large choice regarding tires due to so many excellent lines such as T.M., Parma, Jaco, TRC, RC4Less,BSR, Corally,Yokomo, etc.

Do you racers out there have problems with getting the tires that you want to try or race? What things would everyone like to see in tires nowdays?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

the new parma tires are TRC foam on a stiffer rim.... i looked at them at the shop this week, and that is what i was told from the owner...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:32 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default shipment

Tony, I received my package yesterday. Thanks..

Burbs, I like the TM design, wheels are taller, they dont hit anything. Also they are very stiff, and last they look the MOST different on the track. People have come up to me in the past three weeks and all I hear is "What car is that(Mi2), by the way, who's tires are those"??? Now you see my point. People are always interested to try stuff, but are very hesitant to buy stuff, until proven by someone else. That is why we are here. I jusy received Plaid 3's, which I beleive are DBLPURP/BLACK, and I am going to try them out. Also a teammate has Plaid 2's DBLPURP/Magenta. We will be doing some testing and get back to you real soon. I wont have a chance to test this weekend, going in for minor surgery, but will be back on the track next weekend..

Cyan/Magenta compounds work very well, but be ready for the difference in traction. If you run the conventional Plaid 1/purple, the cyan/mag combo is softer. Offers more traction, faster reaction time, but higher wear. Give it a try. BTW we are talking about TC 28mm wheels right?
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The black will run very well, i promise.

I'm probably going to stick with black as my regular tire in stock/foam.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:06 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Raul- Correct on the 28mm tires topic although i run 12th mod.

RobK- Yours and Kevins' car look great with blacks. In 12th mod i do like blacks when the traction comes up enough. I am definitely looking forward to trying the Plaid 2 and Plaid 3 Saturday or Sunday at AJ's to get prepared for the Halloween Classic.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

The plaid3 is a double blue outside edge on a black compound tire. I don't know if the Plaid2's were changed to the double blue outside edge or not but they were originally a orange outer edge on a magenta compound tire. The cyna is a purple outer edge on a magenta compound tire. I have been running the tires with the double blue outside edge and its a great way to go. The tires are smoother responding then any other tire out there with the double blue edge vs. the soft orange that just about every other tire company uses now. I wouldn't be surprised if other companies followed this move.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #85
Tech Fanatic

This past Saturday i ran Black fronts and they were tremendous on the 12th mod car out at AJ's and I would highly recommend them although they do wear faster than magentas.

T.M.s blacks MAY be similar to a "double gray" but i'm not sure, all i can say is that they are smooth with the majority of the bite that a magenta provides. I haven't tried the P2's or P3's yet, that will have to be done soon.

Last week i read on another forum that Jaco is the only one that has the TYPE of black that they do which is this is true would beg the question of what is T.M., BSR and everyone else using for their black dot and how does it grip compared to Jaco's?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:48 PM   #86
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

any update on some of the local tracks or online shops selling TMs?

robk....lemme know if anything comes up from what we talked about at trackside
Old 10-05-2004, 11:54 PM   #87
Tech Champion

Default Why use TM?

I was thinking, a lot of the posts here are interesting, but what sets TM tires apart?

*The only non dish wheel (at least for racing tires). The wheel also has a thinner edge on the inside to improve clearance for ball cups. Neat!

* TM is using double blue for the outer rings on dual compound TC tires. This is much stiffer than what passes for orange these days. Definitely a must for big races and tracks that are really grooved up.

* The multi compound 1/12 rears (G series). Top level 1/12 drivers have been running multi compound rears for the last couple of years, but those tires are not available to the general public. TM makes their multi compound tires available to everybody.

*Black compound sedan tires. Great for big races where tires tend to build traction and get sticky as they heat up.
Black is not in the same rubber family as purple or magenta, so it is far less susceptable to that problem, and keeps your car more free as the track tacks up.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #88
Tech Champion

Default Rob K

Amen!-not that I am religious or anything....
But I couldnt have put it better myself.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 AM   #89
Tech Champion

Default update

Well, I have done two nights back to back testing. I have tried combo's from Plaid1/purple, Plaid 3/purple, cyan/magenta, cyan/purple. My favorite was the plaid 3/purple. Car was getting faster and faster every run. I used also the Niftech traction compound, awesome stuff. I am almost done convincing my lhs to carry TM products. But it will take a little more convincing.,
Tire wear was non existent, I chunked a outside edge of a purple from a misaligned body, but no other wear problems. Fast, fast, fast... I will keep all posted.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Default TM @ the Halloween Classic

Last weekend at the Halloween Classic In CLeveland, OH, TM tires made the A in Masters and Modified 1/12.

James Arnold driving a Rev4 finished 7th in the A main Masters.

David Arnold (no relation), also driving a Rev 4, finished 9th in the A main Modified.

Kevin Kane driving a Pro4 won the C main.

Touring cars ran the new Plaid-3/Black combination. When the bite really came up, the tires remained consistant thoughout the run.