R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

tm rims are the stiffest and strongest i have seen.. i raced all last year with no breaks, or chunks i the foam.. never before have i seen this.. to me that is worth it...

the tm rims are slightly heavier then the others.. but if u want less flex, u need some ore matirial... weight wise i notice no difference in performance...

at last years region 5 race for oval, tm tq'd every class.. and this was against a feild of some of the top guys...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #62
Tech Master

also.. scotty dont wnt people using paragon. thats why we mix it. if it dont smell, no one knows.. i dont really like doing it againsty his wishes, thats why i hope TA works good...
Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Burb- Yeah, Ray has been testing the new Parma treads and says that the rims flex a little but nothing bad and then someone said that the new TRC rims flex a lot. My experience before T.M. was that the TRC rims were really good so i was surprised to read someone writing that. I have heard it said that some other brands have "heavy" rims also but that they don't flex either so it seems to be more than just the type of plastic used.
Also, with our T.M. tires the rims are a little bigger which cuts down a little on the amount of foam on the tire which is interesting.

Anyone else have some thoughts about rim flex, weight and looks? Some of the guys on Hobby Talk were talking about rim looks and what their preferences are. I personally like T.M.'s grey over the black and i also like white and neon colors like yellow, orange and purple.

And since TireGuy is watching I think it can be said that he is keeping a pulse on different preferences that people have which he can contemplate bringing to market for us.

So let's hear the ideas everyone, whether you use T.M. or not.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Burbs- I know what you mean but wouldn't you say that if Scotty's main reason for us not using the Paragon is for odor issues and we can get rid of the smell then it should be fine to use it?

It seems like it is a simple thing to do. Maybe tracks that have problems with Paragon's smell could do a test before banning it where they get a couple of cans (add .50 cents to that days race fee to pay for it) and put an ounce of Vannilla in each and then have a community traction compound day.

If at the end of a race day or two people are doing fine then they could leave Paragon as something to be used but make a rule that it must be cut with vannilla. If they smell regular strength Paragon then you either give the track .50 cents to cut it on the spot or get banned from using it and you have to use something else right then and there. It's just a thought what do people think?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Question: What would it be like if you could buy tires individually? Especially for the oval crowd i would think that being able to mix and match tires for your needs would be awesome. What do people think about that?
Old 09-25-2004, 04:41 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator

Personally, buying in pairs isnt too bad, you end up with 2 sets if you know what you need/want
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #67
Tech Adept

When the silvas used the TA, the bite was decent, 8, but we were having problems with the inconsistancy of TQ over a 4 min race in mod oval. Running 6x1's tends to work the RF realy hard. Either the car would have good bite at the begening, and go to crappy, front end washing out at the end, or the front end wouldnt bite at all at the begening, but then turn well at the end. When they ran TA, it lasted for 4 min, and was a lap faster. Under most cirumstances I would blame the problem on my car, but when two of the nations fastes oval guys are having troubles, then you tend to think its somthing else.

The track did have a black groove.

Stick-Et is another traction compound that I use, it comes from some people out west here. I get it in shop that I work for direcly from the company. It works good on asphalt, I have never tried it on carpet. It works as well as paragon does on asphalt, I just works a little differently. I sometimes use it on my LF tire, to get the car to be a little free-er comeing up off of the corner. Most all the 1/12 scale on-road guys use it too. I havent found anyone that has not liked it.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #68
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JPHRacer
I either use Stick-et or I use the new paragon Traction Action. I have been using that stuff for a couple of months now with great success. I have never used it on carpet, just asphalt, but when I raced with the Silva Twins over winter last season they used it when it was still being formulated, it worked awsome. I didnt have any to run, but going from the regular TQ stuff that everyone else was using, to the paragon TA, the silvas picked up allmost a lap. Not even joking either. It made a big difference.

The TA stuff is a little more temprametal to how long you leave it on, but if done right its just as good as regualr paragon.

If any of you guys have to use the TQ stuff, and want some tricks to make it better send me a PM, and I'll let you know of some things to try.
Not to put a damper on your "testing" but hopefully your not using that TQ stuff at Stockton r/c raceway carpet track .The owner last year was not too pleased with the what some of the oval guys were doing.Teching of peoples tire sauce will be random this year.If he feels your sauce was tampered with,he will confiscate it.It may not be the best sauce,but thats what is allowed so please respect his wishes.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #69
Tech Master

i talked to scotty at trackside today.. he said if u can get the smell out of the paragon, u can use it.. he said he prefers it but hates the smell.. he said the paragon dries better, and faster.. and it doesnt saturate as much on the track.. but it can not smell like paragon
Old 09-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #70
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
Not to put a damper on your "testing" but hopefully your not using that TQ stuff at Stockton r/c raceway carpet track .The owner last year was not too pleased with the what some of the oval guys were doing.Teching of peoples tire sauce will be random this year.If he feels your sauce was tampered with,he will confiscate it.It may not be the best sauce,but thats what is allowed so please respect his wishes.
Yep that was the track, the oval guys were not the only ones that were doing it. Ruben is running the track this year, and its open traction compound, thats what he told us. Scott really rubbed people the wrong way, and I myself am really relived that he is now out of the equation. It sucks watching the road guys get 50 min of pratice, half of which no one is on the track, and 10 min for the oval guys.

It was done to prove a point, I never used it though, the silvas did, scott knew about it, and didnt have the guts to do anything about it. Its the silva's. There were a few other, unnamed, mod TC guys doing it too, scott knew about it, but didnt have it to tell the big guys what to do.

I always used the TQ, allways delt with the 10min oval 50 min road pratice sessions, and paid my fee. I never broke the rules.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Yep that was the track, the oval guys were not the only ones that were doing it. Ruben is running the track this year, and its open traction compound, thats what he told us.

From the Stockton R/C Raceway site:

"TQ Orange is the only allowed traction additive once again this year."

I'm not accusing anyone of anything because I didn't know it was going on last year. Maybe it's time to ban traction compounds in the pits altogether and add a dollar to race fees, which will pay for "community" cans of TQ orange that Reuben would provide and keep at the tech table.

Sorry to drag the topic OT. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #72
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Yep that was the track, the oval guys were not the only ones that were doing it. Ruben is running the track this year, and its open traction compound, thats what he told us. Scott really rubbed people the wrong way, and I myself am really relived that he is now out of the equation. It sucks watching the road guys get 50 min of pratice, half of which no one is on the track, and 10 min for the oval guys.

It was done to prove a point, I never used it though, the silvas did, scott knew about it, and didnt have the guts to do anything about it. Its the silva's. There were a few other, unnamed, mod TC guys doing it too, scott knew about it, but didnt have it to tell the big guys what to do.

I always used the TQ, allways delt with the 10min oval 50 min road pratice sessions, and paid my fee. I never broke the rules.
Its funny you should mention you talked with Ruben. Sorry to inform you,but again TQ orange will be the tire sauce used exclusively.This was not only from his website but from his own mouth.As far as your hard feelings towards Scott,can't help you there.You sound bitter.Go figure since some of you oval guys last year from up north and some of the Kisbey guys were always whining and causing a stir.You guys get enough practice time in accord with how many of you turn out on any given raceday.Stockton R/c raceway caters to both Onroad and oval guys,but the Majority of the racers{80% easy} are of the onroad set.Sorry, just how it is.Hopefully you are not adding to your can of TQ orange as you have proposed helping others. See you on the rug!

As James said,back to your originally scheduled program.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Bummer, thats not what I was told, but its his decision, not mine. I'm not bitter at all. But as a race director, he cussed at racers, yelled at kids, what a great guy? Right. When ruben ran things he allways gave us the time that we needed. He understood that you cant have more then 5-6 oval guys praticing on the track at once, not our fault, build a track with wider then 8' lanes, and you can get more on. I have seen as many as 15 guys on the on-road track with no problems, oval is a little different story.

I'm sorry, but the guys that scott did bust were are northbay road guys. Not oval guys.

Nice try to call me out. I dont cheat, I never have and never will. I used straight up 100% TQ orange at stockton. At the birds when the track was pooh, I used a mix of TQ on the RF tire to get it to slide more then paragon, but less then reagular TQ. Good job trying to make me look like I bend the rules. Were not friends, you dont know me, next time ask, dont assume of my actions.

Se'ya in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #74
Tech Master

racenut123

if u have something off topic to say to jph private message him.. we dont need that kind of post on this thread,, this thread is here for people to learn about tm foams, and get some other tire tips.. thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Wow go practicing on Sunday, work on Monday and i have disagreements and concerns about a T.M. guy "cheating" when i get back.

JPH seems like a fine gentleman and since we are innocent until proven guilty in this country (what a nice concept for humanity) then it should stay that way. Remember his post said that the Silva's tried some experimental Traction Action, that he has never run TA on carpet (thus including Stockton), that others both on-road and oval had tried the TQ concoction at Stockton and that he hadn't.

However, James and Racenut i would like to thank you for the info regarding Stockton for this year. All of you guys/gals that live way over on the west coast if you have a chance please visit that facility. When i flew out to race the Roar Carpet Nats a couple of years ago i found it to be a first class facility with first class people. I hope that all of you have a very enjoyable racing season at a premier place.

Oh by the way.... try some T.M. Tires.