R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

for stock oval, i have ru these setups and they work great

this one is if u dont want to run exotics.. tm standard foam works very well.. but wears a bit more then exotics..

green rears, green left front... blue or double blue right front..

for exotics...

ive run g3 rears, purple right front, green left front..

g4 rears,, purple right front.. black left front...

all three combos work well... tm has so many tire compounds.. ive seen so many posible setups.. lots to choose from...

19t

white rears purple right front, green left front...

or 3 pinks and a purple right front...

these are for flat carpet ovalll
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Burbs-

Wow, didn't realize that all of those combinations would work. What conditions did you find that each setup worked best under, did you notice any difference in lap times with each setup from say a/your "standard" setup?
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Here in norther cali, in stock asphalt oval we run 4 purples, maybe a harder duro RF purple to calm the car down.

In 19t we run 3 purples with a magenta LR. Can use a harder 50-52 rf again to calm the car down.

In mod I allways use a 50+ RF purple, a 38 LF magenta, a 38 RR magenta, and a 35 LR Pink.

I use that setup at all paved oval tracks that I go to.

For carpet, 3 33-35 Pinks (LR, RR, LF) and a 48-50 purple on the RF. Its the setup that I used at the birds eirly in the week when the track was good, and its what I use at my home carpet track, in mod. Burbs would be the one to ask what to use in other classes, I dont race stock or 19 on carpet.

The most important thing to remember is that all tire brands duromoter out differently, our TM pink is allmost 5+ point harder then a jaco pink. So when someone tells you what tires they are running, get numbers so you can compair it to your own, better.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator

remember that it also depends on which car your running. On an L4, you want to run the purple RF, but say on a KSG, you can get away with something a bit softer
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just wondering if any of you guys are running nitro touring cars and if so have you tried any of compound besides the nitro compounds.

thanks
peakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Awesome info guys.

Peakman- I am looking forward to someone whith the info you need, maybe Tony will come on to get you that info if no one else posts an answer.

JPH- Thanks a lot for that point about different durometer readings for different manufacturers. Do you know of any other differences? Say for T.M. to Jaco to TRC for Purples, Grays, Blacks, and Magenta (dbl pink for Jaco) and if so would you post that information?

If anyone else knows of this or anything else please let us all know.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #37
Tech Master

here u go... this is one of my sponsors.. they have great stuff.. there service is unmatched email him if you would like to order some tm foams.. he doesnt have sedan foams listed, but can get them.. thanks

http://baldwinracing.safeshopper.com/22/cat22.htm?171
Old 09-21-2004, 05:27 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

burbs- Thanks
I copied the info and pasted below, hopefully your sponsor won't mind.
---------------------------------------------
TM. FOAM TIRE DUROMETER RATINGS

Green ---28-32 Duro.
--------------------
Grp. 1: - Ed.

Blue ---38-42 Duro. NEW!

White --23-27 Duro.

Gray --28-32 Duro.

Black --33-37 Duro.

2x Black-- 43-47 Duro. NEW!
-----------------------
Grp 2: - Ed.

Pink ---28-32 Duro.

Magenta ---33-37 Duro.

Purple ---38-42 Duro.

Red ---48-52 Duro.
----------------------

G-SERRIES REAR TIRE/WHEEL COMBOS. NEW!
These are Mult-band tires
Most have a THIN outer band of one compound
with a WIDER inner band of another compound.
Use these for a "best of both worlds" tire
Yields higher grip, with better wear traits.(less coning and chunking on the edges)

G1 -- WHITE / GRAY edge. NEW!

On the above tire, the gray is a narrow side band.
basicly it is a WHITE tire with narrow GRAY sidewall
to prevent rollover.

G2, and G3
(below)
These tires apply the same principle as the G1
Using a different compound stagger

G2 -- GRAY / BLACK edge. NEW!

G3 -- WHITE / BLACK edge. NEW!

The tires below are a near equal 3 way split in compound bands.
these offer better side bite tuning options.
Use these whe you need just a tad more SIDE BITE,
or to
DRIVE the car HARDER off the corner,
accordingly

G4 -- GRAY / WHITE / GRAY. NEW!

G5:...WHITE / GRAY / WHITE. NEW!

All Duro rates are + 2 or - 2...from what is shown here.
They are VERY consistant.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by darnold
Awesome info guys.

Peakman- I am looking forward to someone whith the info you need, maybe Tony will come on to get you that info if no one else posts an answer.

JPH- Thanks a lot for that point about different durometer readings for different manufacturers. Do you know of any other differences? Say for T.M. to Jaco to TRC for Purples, Grays, Blacks, and Magenta (dbl pink for Jaco) and if so would you post that information?

If anyone else knows of this or anything else please let us all know.
Depending on the batch, when the tires are made, and how long they have been sitting, TM's and TRC's seem to have allmost identical durometer numbers, but TRC uses a different rubber, weather its the Euro rubber or some other, im not sure, but it is different. For the same durometer tire, TRC and TM rubber just looks different, the grain is different. TM has the same rubber and consistancy of Jaco, but the duro is about 5+ points harder, except for black. Jack at jaco is the only one to get the black compound rubber that he uses. Its just different, different duro, different look, but only jaco has that rubber. One thing that has made me faster since switching to Tm is that fact that his tires do duro out at harder numbers, but bite just as good if not better then other brands softer tires. I dont know if its the way the bands are placed on the rim, or the fact that the rim is stronger then anything else out there, and has zero flex, I dont know, but harder tire that bites as good = less rolling resistance = faster laptimes.

But just because TM rubber is harder then jaco doesnt mean that is bad, just different. If I am going to tracks that I know need more tire bite then normal, then I use a little taller tire. The more rubber you have on the rim the softer the tire will durometer out at, and using different tire cleaners can also soften the tire or give it different bite characteristics. But then again if your car is poo all the tire tuning in the world wont help.

hope that awsners your question.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Thanks big time JPH-

So our T.M.'s are the same rubber as Jaco (except for Black Dot) but a little harder and TRC is different rubber (Engetti??) but similar in hardness.

Could the reason for the slightly harder durometers of our T.M.s compared to Jaco come from our slightly larger rim sizes also JPH?

Also, is BSR rubber the same as our T.M. and Jaco stuff and how does that durometer out?

Finally, does anyone know about the new RC4Less Foam? Is it like TRC or is it like our T.M. and Jaco foam?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #41
Tech Master

tm is not the same foam as jaco.. it is similar....
Old 09-22-2004, 11:16 PM   #42
Tech Adept

To my knowlegde there are only 2 soruces for the exotic foam, the euro and the asian foam, 1 soruce for the natural, green, grey, and a seperate source for the black foam that only Jack can get.

That is just to my knowlegde, I could be wrong, but forgetting that the tire color means anything, if you have a jaco, TM, BSR, Murdock, or cooper next to each other that durometer out the same, the tires, not only smell the same, but look the same too, I'm talking about the look, grain, and texture of the poors in the tires.

But what a tire is in its raw form and what the consumer buys are two different things, the different type of glue, the chemicle's used on the rubber, all change how the tire behaves.

I think that is what burbs is talking about, every company has their own secrect sauce thats used to treat the tire, its what makes a jaco a jaco, a tm a tm, and a bsr a bsr.... and so on.

Have no idea about Bruce's foam, I am guessing its euro foam, but I honestly dont know.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Speaking of Secret Sauce; what tire traction additive(s) does everyone use and under what conditions?

I know that for carpet Paragon is standard but some places don't allow it due to the wintergreen smell so then you can choose from:

Jack the Gripper
TQ Purple (Mod)
TQ 8+ (Red)
TQ Blue (for rubber tires)
CRC Downforce (nice smell)
Paragon's new "Traction Action" (non-smelling)
Paragon's FX (i'm not sure of the smell)

What do you guys use, how long do you let it sit, and on what carpet (Old Ozite, Ozite 1-came out about two years ago,
Ozite 2-current stuff, Dupont, Primeafelt-is this Ozite?, Unknown Carpet, and Asphalt)?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #44
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Outside try Trinity Red Dot...works well.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #45
Tech Master

original paragon is the best...... (man i love that sm,ell))) ha ha.. but the most popular here is TQ 8 .. we dont allow paragon old stuff..

i just got some paragon traction action.. i havent used it yet.. it says it is more agressive then original paragon...

we ususally mix 75 tq8 and 25 paragon... so im going to try 50 50 with this... see how it works...

i talk to some sedan guys and they seem to love the new paragon... ill let u know in two weeks when we hit the rug lol... ahhh 3 week break from asphalt to the rug...