R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #136
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Dave it sounds like you had a good time out there.

There is the first race in the Midwest(IL & WI) Carpet Series this saturday up in Oshkosh WI. Then Next weekend there is the Turkey Shoot Out at RSJ on Sunday hope you can make it out...it will be a great warm up for Cleveland..,...not like you didnt get that this weekend. Hope to see you at one of them.

Double Blacks huh....you ran them on the front?

Yeah the Blacks and the Plaid3 combo is a great combo for stock TC.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

http://www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com/ here is the link
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #138
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys, hey Kev and BMcG are you guys saying that none of you will be up at RSJ this Sat but will be there this Sun or not this weekend at all but next Sat or Sun (or both)?

Heah Kev i tried dbl blks on the front as it was something Tony sent to the track for me to try. I really think they could be good for stock but it seems that mod is simply too fast but in a truth i really am not experienced enough to say for sure, i'll have to do more testing.

I plan on testing P2's this weekend (it looks like it will be on Sun. when you guys are there) to see how the outer ring works compared to simply glueing the outside edge. I really have a good feeling about these as well as the magentas, again more testing needs to be done.

It will be interesting Kev to see what you and Rob think on these different types after Cleveland when you two start running your 12ths in mod with me. Do you have any ideas going in?
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:08 AM   #139
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I don't know about Kevin, but I'll be up sunday, not saturday. Make sure you make it out for the warm-up race next weekend, though.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #140
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default tires

Well, the Plaid 2's are the softest of the plaid family. It runs for 28mm tires, Plaid, Plaid 3, Cyan, Plaid 2- Hardest to sofest. I cant find the right setup with Plaid 2's, my car is way to agressive for them right now. But I am testing. Cyan's are awesome, with magentas, and Plaid 3/purple combo work well also, for the conventional side.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #141
Tech Apprentice

Default t-m rc tires

to anyone that hasnt use tonys foams yet they are awesome.i ran the same set all last winteron carpet with no chunking or broken ,bent wheels.for the tc3 guys no need to clearance you rod ends its already done.keep up the excellent products tony!!!
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic

Noticed on another thread a discussion regarding who gets their foam from what company. It appears that there is the Italian foam, Japanese foam and American Foam all with maybe different properties.

Has anyone checked out or used the TX wheels that Tony sells? They look cool. What about any of the other accessories that T.M. sells, has anyone tried them and if so what did you think?

What tire traction has everyone settled into for the big races when the bite gets really high vs. their club racing when the bite is either low to medium (although the new CRC Ozite that RSJ has recently gotten stays pretty high, yeah!)?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #143
Tech Apprentice

Default tm products

all of tonys products are of excellent quality.i run plaid front and purple rear on realitively high bite carpet.i am trying some of tonys other compounds this weekend but so far that seems to work really well with the tc3.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #144
Tech Fanatic

Morpwr it's glad to hear that you are enjoying the tires.

What do people think about the use of personal tire durometers such as the MaxMod? Is there a difference between these and "professional" grade durometers? Are the personal ones reliable?

What do the Tire Manufactuers use to check durometer readings?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:00 PM   #145
Tech Apprentice

Default tire durometers

as for what other people think i dont know ,i actually have never seen anyone use one racing r/c.when i raced real cars we used them all the time but not in r/c.as for the maxmod i did look into getting one but never found anyone that sells them anymore.tony can get you one if you really feel you need it but if i remember right they are quite pricey.my best suggestion to you would be to find a tire manufacturer you like and stick with them ,dont switch if you can help it as there will be differences from one company to another.hope this helps you out.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #146
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by darnold
Morpwr it's glad to hear that you are enjoying the tires.

What do people think about the use of personal tire durometers such as the MaxMod? Is there a difference between these and "professional" grade durometers? Are the personal ones reliable?

What do the Tire Manufactuers use to check durometer readings?
I allways use a durometer. Its the only way to know whats going to work and whats not, and why that one tire did work and why that other tire didnt. It lets you know how much the tire is softening as the tire gets smaller or if its is getting harder if its getting smaller.

The company that makes Stick-Et tire sauce also makes a tire cleaner that softens the tire anywere from 4-10 points depending on how long it sits on the tire. I often when looking for a tire thats between a Double pink and a purple (just an ex.) that I will let a purple sit in the tire cleaner for 5min to get it between the double pink and the purple.

The maxmod durometer is the same as many "professional" durometers that I have seen out there, except its is designed just for foam tires. Its foot that takes the reading is different then one that would be used for rubber tires. Its a very reliable tool. I would always reccomend one of these to any foam tire racer.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #147
Tech Apprentice

Default maxmod

jph racer
where did you get the maxmod tire durometer?i have tried to find them but havent found anyone that carries it.and yes you are correct you need the right foot as you called it for it to work properly as one made for rubber tires would be different from one used for foam.any help here would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic

Morpwr you can find Maxmod durometers at Murdock RC i do believe for $68. Thanks for the info, i run for T.M. and i am not looking to leave, simply polling for info that can help everyone and make the thread useful.

JPH thanks for the info on the tire softner as i didn't know about this stuff. I think it is a wonderful practice to be able to "customize" the durometer of your tires for needed situations and will have to look into this.

Regarding durometer machines i thought that maybe the manufactuers used something digital that possibly also had automated pressure and depth application for consistency, that is why i asked what they used and if it differed from a hand held unit like the Maxmod.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #149
Tech Apprentice

Default maxmod

thanks for the help buddy.the durometers we use on real race car had a stopper built in do get accurate results everytime as i assume they all do but i could be wrong here.i also run for tony and would never switch to anything else after using his products.thanks again tony for the help!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:43 PM   #150
Tech Adept

I got the mine off of e-bay for $25. I work at a hobby shop, so I am more inclined to get somthing off of e-bay then support the competition. Even though rob is a nice guy, just kind of my thing. I got mine as a NIB so it was a bargin.

I have tried many times to get ahold of max mod, but they wont ever respond. Really sad.

There are nicer digital durometers, but I can allways get the same reading out of the max mod, so I woulnt really worry about the repeatabilty. I know there are some really trick ones that I have seen people use out racing go-karts, but the ones that I saw only had feet for rubber tires. Nothing for foam.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote