R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Official Team Paradigm Racing Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/50411-official-team-paradigm-racing-thread.html)

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 05:01 AM

Official Team Paradigm Racing Thread

Hey everyone,

I have had a ton of email requests over the last couple months to start a thread on r/c tech for Team Paradigm Motors to help answer questions on our products or on motors in general. Myself and a few of our very knowledgable employees will be doing our best to check daily and post responses to everyone.

Please respect this site and keep posts on topic. For customer specific questions such as questions about your account or orders you have placed, please email our sales department at [email protected] or call us toll free at (877) RACIN-RC.

We are looking forward to answering all of your questions or comments, so feel free to start asking away!

Lucky13Mikey 09-16-2004 05:27 AM

Hey whats up Brandon and paradigm crew! Its Mikey L. forgot my old username here, been a while since i actually posted. i'm one of those 'slurkers' :-)

Good to see you racin last weekend in Oshgosh again. too bad the track was so blown out tho.

anyways, i meant to ask you last weekend, do you guys actually make your own brushes or are they repackaged? I keep reading on various forums that only the big 3 make brushes, just curious if thats true or not cause i heard a lot of good things about your 21521 and 21581 brushes. also are those black magic's out yet?

lmk, thanks
mikey

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 05:56 AM

Sup Mike?

Good to see you too last weekend, been a while. Yeah, track was pretty rough. Definitely needed some work.

Anyways, most companies are repackaging other brushes like the 767 or 4499 etc. Some of our brushes are repackaged, but we also have 5 compounds that are exclusive to us that we have made from a brush company that is based in Germany. The 21521 is our own compound, as well as our new 21581 compound, aka the Black Magic brush. In fact, there are a few other companies currently repacking our brushes :)

We finally have the production version of the 21581 Black Magic brush done and it is shipping out this week. We originally wanted to release these brushes months ago, but each time we got a test batch in we found something else we could improve on. The end result is just awesome.... our Monster based motors are pulling 2-3 more watts on the Fantom dyno with this brush over a standard 767 brush. On our last batch of motors we did, about 30% of them were up in the 66-68 watt power range, which is really high.

mafiaracers 09-16-2004 06:11 AM

Brandon,

You probabaly get asked this a lot on your other thread....but I was wondering if you could post the printout of a completely virgin MHP and a printout of a fully done-up MHP. I'm sure the #'s are amazing, I just would like see the change.

Thanks!

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 06:24 AM

mafiaracers,

I don't have a printout here at home, but we do have them at the shop with numerious comparisons. I will convert them to JPG files this afternoon when I am at work and post them by tonight.

Lucky13Mikey 09-16-2004 06:41 AM

brandon-

if the brush produces that much more power, is it a lot harder on the comm and does the brush wear out faster? Seems likes the faster the brush, the faster it wears out the brush and the comm

rod_b 09-16-2004 06:53 AM

Brandon, are the Black Magic brushes available to be purchased on your site yet or do we have to call or email?

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 06:57 AM

rod_b,

Yep! As of this morning, we have the brushes available for immediate shipment. We have had them in for about 5 days now, but it took us that long to get them packaged and to get thousands of pairs that were pre-ordered out the door. Here is a direct link to the brushes on the estore, but I encourage you to check with your LHS to see if they have ordered them already.

http://www.team-paradigm.com/cgi-bin...logno=PDM21581

ixlr8nz 09-16-2004 07:09 AM

Gidday,

I ordered some motors and parts a while ago and you sent some of them and the rest went on back order. What is happening about these parts as it has been a couple of months?

Michael Jones

Kave 09-16-2004 07:12 AM

How are those brushes comparing to say the putnums and the 767s in rpms? Also whats the life like, 1 run and there done?

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Lucky13Mikey
brandon-

if the brush produces that much more power, is it a lot harder on the comm and does the brush wear out faster? Seems likes the faster the brush, the faster it wears out the brush and the comm

Mike,

This is kind of a tough question to explain, but I'll try. I'll explain how the brush is made and how comm drops work first, so that should make it easier to understand :)

The Black Magic brush has no ground breaking new materials or percentages in the brush such as carbon and silver go. What is different is the way the brush is made. When the bushes are initially made, a much higher temperature and pressure are used. This in sense packs more material into each brush without increasing its size, or basically makes it more dense. When the brush is actually molded, we have had a special lubricant designed that is molded right in. As the brush wears, this lubricant keeps coming out, which works much like a comm drop.

If you have ever experimented with running a brush with and without comm drops, you will notice that the brush without comm drops will not wear down as fast, however it will burn easier. On the other hand, the brush with comm drops will wear down faster but not burn. This is because the comm drops essentially increase the flow of current between the brush and comm, making the brush arc more and break down faster. Because of the lubrication of the comm drop though, the brush will not burn as easily.

The Black Magic brush works the same way. You will notice the serrations wear down within 1-3 runs, depending on the class. In most cases, serrations will give you slightly more power. After the serrations are worn out, the black magic brushes will last much longer than most race compound brushes. In testing, we have had them last up to 10-15 solid runs before fading off, as long as you are geared right. The brushes will work best on their first, second, and third run, however they do not fall off as much as other brushes do when they loose the serrations. If you have a serrator, this will help, but nothing works as good as factory molded serrations on any brush.

So in short, the first three runs are the best as with any brush, but it will last without burning for many more runs than other race compounds.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 07:18 AM

Originally posted by ixlr8nz
Gidday,

I ordered some motors and parts a while ago and you sent some of them and the rest went on back order. What is happening about these parts as it has been a couple of months?

Michael Jones

Please forward this to our sales department at [email protected] and they will get back to you asap. I would like to keep this thread for general questions that can apply to anyone versus an order status thread. All items are shipped as soon as they are in stock, so depending on the item will determine its ETA.

Kave 09-16-2004 07:20 AM

Also, any plans for the Roar Stock motor? It seems to be the hot thing lately and Im sure many people would love to see one from you guys!

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 07:22 AM

Originally posted by pballkid21587
How are those brushes comparing to say the putnums and the 767s in rpms? Also whats the life like, 1 run and there done?
Overall RPM is right about between the two. Putnam brushes put out a ton of RPM and work awesome for oval, but they tend to bee hard on the comm. The torque of the Black Magic is the highest torque brush we have ever tested.

As for the brush life, I just posted a long explanation on that about 30 seconds after you asked :) See above.

Brandon Rohde 09-16-2004 07:24 AM

Originally posted by pballkid21587
Also, any plans for the Roar Stock motor? It seems to be the hot thing lately and Im sure many people would love to see one from you guys!
Yep, we already have them in stock. I haven't had time to get the info on our products page yet because I am trying to finish our new website design, but you can purchase it on our estore. Here is the direct link to the stock motors:
http://www.team-paradigm.com/cgi-bin...otors%3BStocks

The ROAR legal version of the Binary you are talking about is the very bottom motor, part number PDM13405-SS.