R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

ANY BATTERY MATCHER CAN MAKE THERE NUMBERS HIGHER, JUST BY RAISING THE TEMPERATURE OF THE ROOM.... If u dont think it is true try it... cycle out a pack that is pre heated... but not by a charge.. one that is say in a heating blanket.... there is so many tricks to battery matching...
Quote:
One thing that most people don't realize is that voltage enhancement processes used by different manufacturers are unique

well id like to see a machine that can make a cell over 2 full points higher... I DOUBT IT.... if it was those companies would have the standard cell up to 1.19... with everyone else trailing behind... I have a battery deal.. and trust me i get good styuff... but if i could buy TRUE 1.19+ over the counter, trust me i would....

as for the new gp cells... the cell is claimed to have less runtime, but slightly higher voltage.... NOT 2 POINTS.... maybe from 1.17 average to 1.173 average...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:12 PM   #17
Tech Master

PS orion does not use turbo matchers.. the quote below is off the orion website it clearly states lavco

Team Orion V-Max Plus RDS cells have been processed with high-current (V-Max) to permanently increase voltage output and lower internal resistance. After a triple cycling period and V-Max processing the cells are tested using RDS (Race Discharge Simulation) on sophisticated Lavco computer controlled testing equipment in a climate-controlled environment. Linear charging and RDS are utilized to most realistically portray the actual discharge the cells will experience and to eliminate weak cells
Old 09-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Uh burbs before you step in too deep the website is not current Peak/Orion have been switching over switched over to CE for a bit now and I think Rick might have just a little bit of inside info on that one. Just a little though.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #19
Tech Adept

psssst......burbs....fyi......Rick Hohwart-----> Owner of Peak

Last edited by Kenshin; 09-16-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #20
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Rick might be able to clarify this

Orion match more cells than any other matcher in the world hence they have better cells to give consumers.

If your in Doubt just look at all the electric races lately
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #21
Tech Master

pst i know rick and peak are one.. thats why i said orion.. not peak.. i did not know peak and orion merged.... sorry .. just going by what the website said

Just because a matcher sells the most doesnt nesesarily mean they will have that good of numbers in that volume.... When other matchers have never even seen one cell that high.

having volume, compared to one or two cells out of a thousand.. is about the same odds... still not real... those numbers would be the top 1% of half the cell matchers in the us.. still not buying it.. maybe ill have to get one, and put it to the turbo test
Old 09-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #22
Tech Master

these cells are also dischaged @ 27 amps with a .85 cutoff
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Rick Howart is a great guy and is manager of both Peak/Orion USA.He would know better than anyone whats going on.

They DO use a CE matcher nowadays but use a .85 cutoff.
The #'s will vary matcher to matcher PERIOD.

Zapping process's,temp rooms,# of cells matched and so on.

The reason for Orion/Peak matching of soooo many cells is being they sell 90% of the rechargable batteries to the medical industry in their home country.

The SP2 cell wasnt meant in a bad way like trinity's idea of the Panasonic UMH(SMH with new shrink) or the Zebra GP3300's.
Being in a different country usually SHRINK wrap of cells is a different color.Remeber the white,tan and green Sanyo2000's?
White being Japan/China,Tan being USA and Green being canadian?
The SP2 cell was GP and Orion's Joint Venture to show a new cell.
In america it was just the shorty cell pretty much.No sticker was applied.
If you guys noticed when the SHORTY cell came out runtime went up about 20-30 seconds at 30 amps and resistance was lower and voltage was a tad bit higher for a bit there and then has leveled out.So they werent lying when they said the cell was NEW and improved.Remeber also guys alot of their advertising or statements were made from across the waters.

I hope this answers some questions and mix ups.

Micros_Rock-Orion/Peak have quality cells and have for over 10 yrs.You wont be disappointed with their cells.

Danjoy-You go buy those supposed 1.17's for that cheap and come to a competitive stock race and see how they pan out for ya.I dont think so.They arent 1.17's.

Burbs-No harm no foul.You simply didnt know.But when Rick updates the page PAY ATTENTION brotha.lol.Sup man.
P.S.If your matcher matches over 5-8 cases at a time I PROMISE he has seen a few 1.19's and even some 1.20's(VERY RARE) but it does happen.Older cases yielded more of these cells.

Now guys are they real 1.19's?No but I will and can say they are VERY high quality cells and are AWESOME on the track.I have 2 packs I aquired and like them alot.Very fast with tons of punch.
Is Orion's 1.19's compariable to other people's 1.19's?
Well that depends on what temp your room is,what your cutoff voltage is and more.There is ALOT of factors when it comes to matching cells.Everyone has their OWN process.
Do they cutoff at 5000 seconds?NO I can promise that.
But guys I would compare them to OTHER companies 1.18's and for $60.00-70.00 a pack thats pretty much going rate for that high of a #ered cell.
You guys are simply SPOILED.
Remeber a company called SANYO.
You couldnt touch 1700's,2000's,or 2400's that had high #'s for under $80.00 a pack.

All I can tell ALL the guys that listed on this post.

There are a few high end matchers out there that have kinda stepped to the front of the battery industry due to hard work and constantly educating themselves and spending the HARD time of trying new and better things.
I will NOT name any other matchers names due to the maker of this post asking about Orion/Peak batteries.

Goodluck Racing or Bashing everyone but please refrain from posting what you may have HEARD and only post with what you KNOW.Thats how very bad rumors get started that only hurt the industry.You then are pretty much a LIAR for speaking without knowledge or evidence.

P.S.I am in NO way affiliated with Orion/Peak.I just know their process.
I am actually sponsored by someone else.
P.S.S.Would I ever race a popular 1.19 at a club race?Pretty much NEVER.Not worth it and unless you have 2-3 yrs experience you realistically probally couldnt tell the difference anyway.
Just buy a quality cell and be happy.But Orion has done WAYYYY more than enough to show they are a quality product.
Les

Last edited by TexRacer; 09-16-2004 at 07:51 PM.
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #24
Tech Master

TexRacer

"They DO use a CE matcher nowadays but use a .85 cutoff."

the pack that I bought was a Peak and on the back of the box it had a table explaiing the label and it said it had a .85 cut off and was matched on a lavco and discharge was @27 amps

I ran the pack it was fast for a little bit 3 charges then it was just another pack.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Davepull-I think it's more of the care you took of the cell than Orion Itself.
Before I got sponsored I ran alot of cells and Orion was always a good cell.
I would maybe look into the care you took of the cell.
P.S.
Orion is 30 amps.27 amps was a while back.
Les
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #26
Tech Master

I don't know this is how I do it.

I tray the pack down then charge @ 6 amps with 1 re peak if it sits longer than 10 min. race 5 min pull battery out discharge down to 5.40 on turbo 30 @30 amps store till next week
Old 09-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #27
Tech Elite

I wouldnt tray any new pack for at least 4-5 charges to let the cells mend or cycle with each other a few charges.
Otherwise Dave it sounds like you have it pretty much right.
What is your cutoff for charge and then peak?

Now could you have gotten a bad pack?
Of course it does happen.

I have heard the complaint of OTHER matchers cells falling off after 4-5 charges but havent heard that issue with customers or fellow racers across the country with Orion/Peak.

Like I said after this many years in the buisness and the titles they have Im sure they wouldnt be getting away with bad cells for this many years.It's a quality product and of course there are some other NICE matchers out there but Micros_Rock was asking about Orion/Peak cells.

I hate when threads like this turn into SHOUTOUTS for a battery company you may either like,be friends with or sponsored by.
I am sponsored by someone other than Orion/Peak and have yet to SHOUT OUT their name under respect for the post.
I just wish OTHERS were like you Dave,Burbs and others on this post that havent done SHOUTOUTS for others.
Again goodluck to everyone racing or bashing and just have fun with this great hobby we all share.
Les
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #28
Tech Master

thanks man

hey all these matchers are full of it. When it comes to us the racer picking one it is just a matter of finding the one who is full of it the least. like New Wave Cells @ RC Madness in Enfield CT

jk shameless plug
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #29
Regional Moderator

I'm still so happy with my 10-month-old 1.19+ packs from Peak.
They are 3300 SP!!!!!!

kumpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #30
Tech Master

oh yah I do just that I tray my packs before every charge.

I'll buy another one of these packs it was a good pack.