Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Zapper worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Battery Zapper worth the money?

Does anyone use Battery zapper for your Battery?
Does it significantly increase the performance of the Battery pack?
How does it work?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

I don't have a battery zapper but I do used zapped batteries in racing.. Yes the do have significant added power and a bi longer run time compare to a regular battery..
Old 07-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Initiate

theres only so much the zapper can do but they do increase performance besides you can pick up a used one for like $50
Old 07-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your refering to the very expensive "initial" cell zappers that are used by matchers on virgin cells for their matching process, I would say unless your going into the battery industry or going to be matching hundreds of cells than there's not really any need to have one........Now If your refering to "maintenence" zappers....that are used to break up the crystaline structures that build up very quickly (in as little as two charges) inside cells causing the cells internal resistance to be elevated.....then yes...I think it's a great device....I use the new integy DCX3300....I maintenence zap all of my packs about every 5 cycles and have seen nothing but positive results.......even on bran new "straight from the matcher" top of the line GP3300's...you can lower the internal resistance quite a bit which translates into having more punch and also get "slightly" higher adverage voltages across the discharge.......If you get one and you plan on using it on GP3300's just make sure to get one that can zapp at at least 80 to 90 volts......or you wont have enough power to affect these cells much...............Hope this helps some........
Old 07-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for clearing things up!!!
I think I'll get one.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Joe B, have you any experience about how it affect life time?

I've read elsewhere, that maintenance zapping, only will prolong the usefull lifetime for very short...
Old 07-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Old 07-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

I personally have only been maintenence zapping for the last 9 to 10 months.....But From all of the information Iv'e read(some of which coming directly from reputable matchers) and from my experience on my own packs and others, Ive seen nothing that makes me inclined to think that this small (compared to initial type cell zapping) amount of temporary voltage given to the GP3300's will have any substantial effect on cell life......at this point...the way I look at it is, the packs iv'e been doing this on for the entire 8 months are still showing the same numbers as when they were new and some of them are actualy showing lower internal resistances than the day I purchased them...so even if they went flat at this point (which I have no reason to think they will) the benifits would still outweigh the outcome.......
Old 07-25-2004, 04:22 AM
Suspended

Ok if there is such a big concern on battery zapping what is your opinion on zeroing batteries for 3 days then recharging them.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Where can you find a battery zapper? Of course I'm talking about an inexpensive one....... like the Integy DCX3300? How much does that cost?

I am growing tired of buying batteries..........
Old 07-25-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

www.integy.com
Old 07-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

What about zeroing the Battery? Is it necessary?
If yes, how often do you need to do it?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

For the last year or so I always bring my cells to zero and then deadshort them until their next use.....Im not saying it's right for everyone, but In my fairly extensive experimentation over the last few years and most specificly on the last and current version of the GP3300's , this along with maintenence zapping...... is what works best for me....with out a doubt...
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Will it work well if without the maintenance zapping?

What is the maximum dead short time?

Will spoil the battery?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

More time to devote to, and more money to spend.......As i go deeper and deeper into this hobby.

I remember when it so simple, charge it and run it, charge it and run it.
It was FUN then.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.