Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
aligning brush hoods >

aligning brush hoods

aligning brush hoods

Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default aligning brush hoods

is thier anyway to do this without a tool or do i need to buy the tool?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: aligning brush hoods

Originally posted by kh15
is thier anyway to do this without a tool or do i need to buy the tool?
I can't do it without a properly sized tool. The tool allows me to "see" where I have both hoods equally aligned.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

another way to do it, or some might say the proper way to do it, is to get some old brushes, file the faces flat, then put them in the motor, spin them, if the hoods are aligned properly then there should be a line in the middle of the brush, if not then you need to move that hood so that the line is in the middle of the brush
Old 09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
another way to do it, or some might say the proper way to do it, is to get some old brushes, file the faces flat, then put them in the motor, spin them, if the hoods are aligned properly then there should be a line in the middle of the brush, if not then you need to move that hood so that the line is in the middle of the brush
I tried to file a set of brushes flat by hand and was unsuccessful. Seems as though you would have to have some form of very accurate brush jig to employ this concept.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

could you cut the shunt off the other end (file that flat) and solder the shunt or some wire to the curved face of the brush, and use the back of the brush to do this?

I read on big jims site that the optimal hood alignment doesnt put the centre of the brush on the comm rather it should be off to a small degree to account for movement or something (cant remember but its on his site)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by azenis
could you cut the shunt off the other end (file that flat) and solder the shunt or some wire to the curved face of the brush, and use the back of the brush to do this?

I read on big jims site that the optimal hood alignment doesnt put the centre of the brush on the comm rather it should be off to a small degree to account for movement or something (cant remember but its on his site)
A creative idea; but, the shunt wire would still be inbedded within the other end. No telling the damage that would do to your comm.

You are somewhat correct about what you read on Big Jim's site. The brushes get cocked in the hoods when they are aligned straight across from each other. Therefore, you are losing a small amount of timing; unless, you cock the hoods appropriately.

I don't use an alignment tool to set the hoods straight across from each other. I use the tool to counteract lost timing from the brushes being cocked in the hoods due to the rotation of the armature's commutator against the brushes.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Makes sense to me (this is new territory for me)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by azenis
Makes sense to me (this is new territory for me)
Just so you know...All the Monster "Pro" Stocks seem to have their hoods aligned straight across from each other.

But, don't tell anyone...he, he...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Yes I noticed that too. When I got it, i pulled the brushes out to have a look at them, cos it said on the pack it was "tuned" and run in and all, so i tohught i would see what the brushes were like , and there was a small wear mark on them and it was not in the centre...
Old 09-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Every monter stock pro Ive gotten has had terrible brush hood alignment out of the box. I dont use a tool to align them I simply eyeball down the sids of the brush hood on both sides till they are perfectly centered. Most people tell me that its impossible to do it that way, but it works great for me. It takes some patience but it works.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:38 AM
DJB
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hey guys why do racers align brush hoods anyway?? is it to get more rpm?? and whats the easiest way to do it??
Old 09-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

we do it for a miniscule amount of power that will never be noticed (depending on how bad the hoods were aligned originaly)
Old 09-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

It would be interesting to compare dyno results between a motor out of the box and one that has had the brush hoods done
Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by DJB
hey guys why do racers align brush hoods anyway?? is it to get more rpm?? and whats the easiest way to do it??
Try going to Big Jim's website for more info about proper brush alignment. You will find it on the web at "bigjimracing.com". Look at his tuning tips. He also has an interesting string on another website; but, I have forgotten where to look for that.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 09-15-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

BJ forum - www.rccars.com/forums

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.