R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default SEEKING: Xpress Pro Instruction Manual

Dear All,

Firstly, thankyou very much to those who identified my unknown chassis. Secondly, does anyone have an electronic version of the instruction manual for the Xpress Pro (Swauger)? Unfortunately, I can't find one anywhere on the web.

Ohh and if anyone is willing to part with some parts for this car I am more than happy to talk!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance;
Alex V
AlexVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVen View Post
Dear All,

Firstly, thankyou very much to those who identified my unknown chassis. Secondly, does anyone have an electronic version of the instruction manual for the Xpress Pro (Swauger)? Unfortunately, I can't find one anywhere on the web.

Ohh and if anyone is willing to part with some parts for this car I am more than happy to talk!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance;
Alex V
For parts you may want to check with SpeedWorld. Billy used to support that car and there is no telling whats burried in the back.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

I may be able to help you out, I have manuals for the Xpress Pro 98 and could get them scanned if needed.

I used to drive for M1 Racing in the UK ( the UK name for the company was M1 Racing ) and helped to design the original Xpress, who's drivetrain was prototyped on the mini version, I believe in the US the mini was called the GTO 962k ( or something like that ) .
I originally drove the M1 Striker upon release ( which was essentially a scale tourer version of the Tomy Intruder 1/10th Off road buggy , Sun Sun corp ( Mr Mok in China ) bought the designs and mouldings off of Tomy, made shorter arms/driveshafts and Fibrelyte UK made all the carbon to create one of the first scale saloons shortly after Tamiya and then Yokomo ) and through the development of the Striker redisigned the car which became the Xpress Mini prototype, then released a full length version as a tourer the M1 Xpress. Later the Xpress pro, Xpress Pro 98, which we used at the ISTC worlds 98 in Newcastle UK. Dave Loftin was a US driver who raced the car with great success in Honk Kong. Mike Swauger drove the car for a short while after he won the 1/8th Gas worlds I believe, the Mike Swauger edition you have was released after I moved to Associated in the winter of 98 ready to run the TC3 for Associated upon release with Craig Drescher and Chris Grainger.

Your car looks to have the 5 spoke Yokomo Inchup rims on that we used at the ISTC worlds with the T27 control tyre for that event, if the tyres are period it's likely they are pit-shimizu rubber by the look of the profile of the tyre.

Alex racing in Japan made a copy/purple version of the car too. I still have several Xpress's in my collection and the original Mini, thought now in pro guise with the very rare magnesium alloy gearbox sideplates, so stiff and light but too expensive for general release. I also have the only articulated Xpress pro in existence, a design we worked on in 96/97, much like most pan cars have gone now with trailing links and central pivot, ( like a floating rear pod ) it was fully roll damper controlled yet still had fully independant rear suspension as required my the regulations. The powers that be tried to ban it, it was awesome, still to this day the ONLY!!! car to have fully consistant and control/tuneable flex control, it never suffered torque steer, had amazing resistance to grip/traction roll and rode kerbs brilliantly, it was the catalyst for schumacher to design the Axis chassis which relied on chassis material flex which most of the current cars do and most of the guys over here old enough to remember it still say it was the best solution to a problem all manufacturers are trying to get around to this day and would love for me to run it again, however it can't happen ( YET!! ) because I am still an Associated driver ( for 13 years now ) and still compete and drive for AE with the TC6.

Remember though if you are to use the car that you have for competition in the VTA classs, it was designed around 2mm offset rims, as all rims/cars were at that time, if you run zero offset rims the car will be way narrow so you need to source some period old/NIP rims. The car already has very wide hexes on as standard, though we did make some 8mm hexes which might help if you find any. We did have 2mm hex shims though the design of rims made it difficult to use them sometimes as the hex in the wheel was so slim that sometimes it wouldn't reach all the way around the shim and on to the driving hex, if you get me. The car you ahve has a tendancy to work very well on high to very high grip situations due to the nature of the geometry and short arms. Sugar watered and indoor carpet/traction adative racing.

Feels free to ask any questions you may have, I'll do my best to answer them.

Stephen Lander
Steve UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve UK View Post
I may be able to help you out, I have manuals for the Xpress Pro 98 and could get them scanned if needed.

I used to drive for M1 Racing in the UK ( the UK name for the company was M1 Racing ) and helped to design the original Xpress, who's drivetrain was prototyped on the mini version, I believe in the US the mini was called the GTO 962k ( or something like that ) .
I originally drove the M1 Striker upon release ( which was essentially a scale tourer version of the Tomy Intruder 1/10th Off road buggy , Sun Sun corp ( Mr Mok in China ) bought the designs and mouldings off of Tomy, made shorter arms/driveshafts and Fibrelyte UK made all the carbon to create one of the first scale saloons shortly after Tamiya and then Yokomo ) and through the development of the Striker redisigned the car which became the Xpress Mini prototype, then released a full length version as a tourer the M1 Xpress. Later the Xpress pro, Xpress Pro 98, which we used at the ISTC worlds 98 in Newcastle UK. Dave Loftin was a US driver who raced the car with great success in Honk Kong. Mike Swauger drove the car for a short while after he won the 1/8th Gas worlds I believe, the Mike Swauger edition you have was released after I moved to Associated in the winter of 98 ready to run the TC3 for Associated upon release with Craig Drescher and Chris Grainger.

Your car looks to have the 5 spoke Yokomo Inchup rims on that we used at the ISTC worlds with the T27 control tyre for that event, if the tyres are period it's likely they are pit-shimizu rubber by the look of the profile of the tyre.

Alex racing in Japan made a copy/purple version of the car too. I still have several Xpress's in my collection and the original Mini, thought now in pro guise with the very rare magnesium alloy gearbox sideplates, so stiff and light but too expensive for general release. I also have the only articulated Xpress pro in existence, a design we worked on in 96/97, much like most pan cars have gone now with trailing links and central pivot, ( like a floating rear pod ) it was fully roll damper controlled yet still had fully independant rear suspension as required my the regulations. The powers that be tried to ban it, it was awesome, still to this day the ONLY!!! car to have fully consistant and control/tuneable flex control, it never suffered torque steer, had amazing resistance to grip/traction roll and rode kerbs brilliantly, it was the catalyst for schumacher to design the Axis chassis which relied on chassis material flex which most of the current cars do and most of the guys over here old enough to remember it still say it was the best solution to a problem all manufacturers are trying to get around to this day and would love for me to run it again, however it can't happen ( YET!! ) because I am still an Associated driver ( for 13 years now ) and still compete and drive for AE with the TC6.

Remember though if you are to use the car that you have for competition in the VTA classs, it was designed around 2mm offset rims, as all rims/cars were at that time, if you run zero offset rims the car will be way narrow so you need to source some period old/NIP rims. The car already has very wide hexes on as standard, though we did make some 8mm hexes which might help if you find any. We did have 2mm hex shims though the design of rims made it difficult to use them sometimes as the hex in the wheel was so slim that sometimes it wouldn't reach all the way around the shim and on to the driving hex, if you get me. The car you ahve has a tendancy to work very well on high to very high grip situations due to the nature of the geometry and short arms. Sugar watered and indoor carpet/traction adative racing.

Feels free to ask any questions you may have, I'll do my best to answer them.

Stephen Lander
wow, its very nice of you to take the time to give explanation about such an old car, i wished someone could do that for My kawada Alcyon
anyway, kawada did make offset hubs and i still think they are available today. i am intrigued by yuur commenmt about the short arms, are you saying these older cars have less grip than todays cars because of the shorter arms?
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote