R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   motor gearing chart how to? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/50041-motor-gearing-chart-how.html)

kh15 09-12-2004 08:38 AM

motor gearing chart how to?

i'm sitting here trying to learn how to use this 48 pitch gearing chart and i see all the spur gear numbers going to the left side and all the pinnion numbers across the top but my question is if some one ask's me what gearing do i need for a 12t motor how do i use this chart to tell them what they need?

pops 09-12-2004 09:41 AM

Re: motor gearing chart how to?

Originally posted by kh15
i'm sitting here trying to learn how to use this 48 pitch gearing chart and i see all the spur gear numbers going to the left side and all the pinnion numbers across the top but my question is if some one ask's me what gearing do i need for a 12t motor how do i use this chart to tell them what they need?
Actually that is the first question you must answer before you can use the chart. What is the recomended final drive ratio for that motor? Then you can figure out how to get there with any combination of spur and pinion.:)

mb racer 09-12-2004 11:15 AM

Re: motor gearing chart how to?

you can go to www.gearchart.com and print out a gear chart for your specific car .. youll need to input spur , pinion and final of your cars gear ratio.. When reading the chart spur sizes are on the top pinion sizes on the left of the chart pick one and go across youll have your FDR for the motor your running , as a starting point.. hope this helps...

kh15 09-12-2004 02:53 PM

yea so how can i find out my final drive ratios for diffrent turn motors? is thier a chart for that, or is each manufactor diffrent even if its the same turn motor?

mb racer 09-12-2004 04:32 PM

yea so how can i find out my final drive ratios for diffrent turn motors? is thier a chart for that, or is each manufactor diffrent even if its the same turn motor?
I think . when your looking for FDR .. it is usually for the track your running on ..the surface and layout are what were gearing.. some motors like reedy 19t can and will be geared diffrent .. When running mod I usually run 11 above the wind of the motor for a starting point .. then adjust up /down depending on the track and layout.. if offroad Ill start at 7 above the wind of the motor and adjust for track conditions... but still keeping in mind that all motors like certian gearing to be the most efficent..

fatdoggy 09-12-2004 05:23 PM

Ask the fast guys at your local track about what FDR to run, most will be willing to help. :nod: