R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #1441
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

actually the rears are 61.5 so yours are shorter at one end gotta have precision in these things the cutters to hold the shock shaft helped an awful lot. Maybe by the time I've built 5 cars I'll have remembered all the little tricks to doing things good excuse to buy a couple more

Car is now ready to roll looks so nice and shiny

Will be an interesting drive tomorrow night, front one way so little ability to break on a very slippy wooden floor Will have to use the other cars to stop
Better sort out the electrics though, than I can see how light this baby is, no weight checks at my club
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #1442
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Well, ran the 'Cuda atthe track today...box stock setup except for a few things. First I lengthened the shocks to get more droop. Then I actually drilled the pistons for a slightly larger hole. I ran 50wt front and 40wt rear. -1 camber front -2 rear. AndI ran the camber links at the longest setting and on the upper hole on the rear hubs. I also ran Yokomo orange springs in the front and stock rears.....car was pretty much planted. I was amazed at how easy the car is to drive. I did notice that it has 4 degrees rear toe in on each side in the rear. Do they make ones with lesser toe? Anyways, I couldn't be much happier with the car on it's first outing.....now I've got just a few things to try.
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #1443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
actually the rears are 61.5 so yours are shorter at one end gotta have precision in these things the cutters to hold the shock shaft helped an awful lot. Maybe by the time I've built 5 cars I'll have remembered all the little tricks to doing things good excuse to buy a couple more

Car is now ready to roll looks so nice and shiny

Will be an interesting drive tomorrow night, front one way so little ability to break on a very slippy wooden floor Will have to use the other cars to stop
Better sort out the electrics though, than I can see how light this baby is, no weight checks at my club
So you finally have it together now ...You'll find out that the car will weigh in very close to 1500g or a little less

Also did you try any of the Drive train mods.?? Shiming and sanding.?

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:55 PM   #1444
Tech Regular

Did a quick run yesterday on an ashphalt track and the first thing i noticed was the amazing amount of traction the car posseses. It holds the corners very well, perhaps to well Need to dial out the excess traction. Bear in mind I'm using the stock soft springs and 70wt oil. The amount of toe in at the rear is definitely greater than 3 degrees so that would be the first thing I would look at correcting if at all possible.

The drivetrain is still very noisy (like a TL01) I've pretty much sanded the gears as much as I could so I'm hoping it will go away in time as the car wears in.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:18 PM   #1445
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
So you finally have it together now ...You'll find out that the car will weigh in very close to 1500g or a little less

Also did you try any of the Drive train mods.?? Shiming and sanding.?

-Dave
OIY, only took me two and a half days
half a day was preping the chassis and other carbon bits
took pretty much a whole day to sort the shocks could do two sets in half that time now though

going to have to try and find somewhere that sells the hudy 2mm hex driver with the rounded end, getting to the lower motor screw is a little difficult

Haven't sanded the gears yet, don't want it too fast for it's first outing
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:55 PM   #1446
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by CIVIC91
Well, ran the 'Cuda atthe track today...box stock setup except for a few things. First I lengthened the shocks to get more droop. Then I actually drilled the pistons for a slightly larger hole. I ran 50wt front and 40wt rear. -1 camber front -2 rear. AndI ran the camber links at the longest setting and on the upper hole on the rear hubs. I also ran Yokomo orange springs in the front and stock rears.....car was pretty much planted. I was amazed at how easy the car is to drive. I did notice that it has 4 degrees rear toe in on each side in the rear. Do they make ones with lesser toe? Anyways, I couldn't be much happier with the car on it's first outing.....now I've got just a few things to try.

4 deg toe in No no no the factory hubs are set at 2 deg toe in you might have 4 deg total 2+2

But you guys can limit the toe in if you get the offset 6.8mm gold balls..
I think that Steve might have got them in with the parts that he got..

-Dave

BTW glad to hear about the 1st outing with the Car!!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #1447
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

Civic91, what tpye of track and what kind of tires were you using? Thanks!
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:07 PM   #1448
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
Did a quick run yesterday on an ashphalt track and the first thing i noticed was the amazing amount of traction the car posseses. It holds the corners very well, perhaps to well Need to dial out the excess traction. Bear in mind I'm using the stock soft springs and 70wt oil. The amount of toe in at the rear is definitely greater than 3 degrees so that would be the first thing I would look at correcting if at all possible.

The drivetrain is still very noisy (like a TL01) I've pretty much sanded the gears as much as I could so I'm hoping it will go away in time as the car wears in.

Once again I Don't belive that the rear Toe is more than 2 deg But the offset A-arm balls will dial some of it out

As far as the drive train....you did shim it right ..
But some of the noise will go away in time ( not a reall big deal..) but the Cuda runs quiet on 64P ...you all have to wait untill Steve gets the Motor mount/shaft holder to run the 64P though

-Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #1449
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
OIY, only took me two and a half days
half a day was preping the chassis and other carbon bits
took pretty much a whole day to sort the shocks could do two sets in half that time now though

going to have to try and find somewhere that sells the hudy 2mm hex driver with the rounded end, getting to the lower motor screw is a little difficult

Haven't sanded the gears yet, don't want it too fast for it's first outing
As far as the Lower motor mount screw.... try lifting the rear A-arm to get access to it

and you haven't tried any Drive Train mods yet it would have saved you some time in the long run ..but it's OK ...I just hope that you did the shimming right
-Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #1450
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

After your first run, it might be a good idea to take the car completely apart, take the bearings out and give it a good clean.

I did that after my first race, and that's how I got the car to start spinning after 10+ seconds. I used an Integy Sparkle cleaner (which is a vibrating plastic box that you can fill with motor spray) Put the bearing in there and let it vibrate for a good 1 hour or so, a your bearings should be very very free after that.

Also, when you take the car apart, remember which input gear and shaft holder goes to which end of the car. Mixing them up can mean you'll have to break in the gears all over again.

I too noticed the amount of rear toe-in on the car. I will check to see if they make rear hub carriers with less toe degree, and I'll also check my stock on Monday to see if we got the offset pivot balls (which I think we did not )

All the parts should be online Monday night (or tuesday morning, because I'll be working on it Monday night)

Thank you for your patience guys.

Steve Wang
Old 03-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #1451
Tech Regular

Thanks Dave,

Ok so the arms ball mounts give 2 deg toe and the rear hubs give an additional 2 deg of toe. Would you know the part number for the offset balls?

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Once again I Don't belive that the rear Toe is more than 2 deg But the offset A-arm balls will dial some of it out

As far as the drive train....you did shim it right ..
But some of the noise will go away in time ( not a reall big deal..) but the Cuda runs quiet on 64P ...you all have to wait untill Steve gets the Motor mount/shaft holder to run the 64P though

-Dave
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 08:18 PM   #1452
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

After your first run, it might be a good idea to take the car completely apart, take the bearings out and give it a good clean.

I did that after my first race, and that's how I got the car to start spinning after 10+ seconds. I used an Integy Sparkle cleaner (which is a vibrating plastic box that you can fill with motor spray) Put the bearing in there and let it vibrate for a good 1 hour or so, a your bearings should be very very free after that.

Also, when you take the car apart, remember which input gear and shaft holder goes to which end of the car. Mixing them up can mean you'll have to break in the gears all over again.

I too noticed the amount of rear toe-in on the car. I will check to see if they make rear hub carriers with less toe degree, and I'll also check my stock on Monday to see if we got the offset pivot balls (which I think we did not )

All the parts should be online Monday night (or tuesday morning, because I'll be working on it Monday night)

Thank you for your patience guys.

Steve Wang
Hey Steve...

The toe is not more than 2.5 deg tops!! ..Unless they have changes the R2's toe in the rear to adjust for the new chassis??

Also have you checked you mail
-Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #1453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dave,

It looks like around 3 total to me. Because I tried running the right side hub on the left and the left on the right to see if it gives me zero degree (because if there is two in the hub and two on the chassis, then if you flip the hub, you should get zero) By my eyeball measurement, it looks like I ended up with toe-out in the rear when I did that, so the total degree might just be around 3-3.5.

I'll probably get your email on Monday, I don't have access to work email here at home. Sorry

Steve Wang
Old 03-23-2003, 08:22 PM   #1454
Tech Champion

Thumbs up Part#

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
Thanks Dave,

Ok so the arms ball mounts give 2 deg toe and the rear hubs give an additional 2 deg of toe. Would you know the part number for the offset balls?
Alex part# 6510
-Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #1455
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Dave,

It looks like around 3 total to me. Because I tried running the right side hub on the left and the left on the right to see if it gives me zero degree (because if there is two in the hub and two on the chassis, then if you flip the hub, you should get zero) By my eyeball measurement, it looks like I ended up with toe-out in the rear when I did that, so the total degree might just be around 3-3.5.

I'll probably get your email on Monday, I don't have access to work email here at home. Sorry

Steve Wang
Hmmm Ok ...One more thing to chalk up thats different than the R1

Please measure it out if you can ....
I know for sure that the R1's rear toe is 2 deg..

What ALex might have done is added there optional 2 deg rear hubs in with the R2.? ...
Something to look into

-Dave