R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2003, 06:57 PM   #1366
Tech Regular

Thanks Mike. They seem to fit ok so I guess I mounted them correctly

I'm still curious as to whether the kit shock lengths are correct. The manual recommends 59.5mm for the front shocks which seem way to short for me and seem to raise the arms of the chassis a fair bit. The rear length (61.5mm) seem to be ok though.

Also do I need to use the longer ball ends for the shocks at the rear? It seems that if I use the short ones I have to screw down the rear shock limiter even further down (nearly half way) to have the correct shock tension.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #1367
fai
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I hope it goes quick So I can get back home to Japan...to play with all of my New R/C Stuff
-Dave
Dave: Wish you back to Japan soon!! Good Luck!
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #1368
fai
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
Thanks Mike. They seem to fit ok so I guess I mounted them correctly

I'm still curious as to whether the kit shock lengths are correct. The manual recommends 59.5mm for the front shocks which seem way to short for me and seem to raise the arms of the chassis a fair bit. The rear length (61.5mm) seem to be ok though.

Also do I need to use the longer ball ends for the shocks at the rear? It seems that if I use the short ones I have to screw down the rear shock limiter even further down (nearly half way) to have the correct shock tension.
Mike is correct, down-stop screws is the way to go! If you use these screws, shock length will become a 'don't care' factor. (Ok, don't set to a 65mm length )
Use short ball ends all the way round!
Old 03-19-2003, 10:14 PM   #1369
fai
Regional Moderator

Default All about setting downtravel...

Here is my little experience about setting downtravel which requires only a flat surface and a ruler! I really hope to share this with all of you as you guys should have received your R2 Cuda already and busy in building them!!

First, just build all four dampers properly and set them to some reasonable length, ie., maybe 60mm at front and 63mm at rear. Then follow manual instructions to put in all dampers and screw-in the down-stop screws. Now, place the car on a flat surface (all wheels off). Then, here comes setting the down-travel:

Assume our tires are 31mm in radius, then if we want 2mm downtravel (or, rebound-stroke) in front and 4.5mm ride height, the equation will be
31 - 2 - 4.5 = 24.5mm! This value (24.5mm) is the height from the flat surface to the centre of wheel axle!! So, now, screw in (or out) the down-stop screw and measure with a ruler to get this 24.5mm.
Similarly with the rear end!

In other words, these parameters can be changed: now, if we want 3mm downtravel and 5mm ride height with a smaller tire, 30.5mm radius, here becomes: 30.5 - 3 - 5 = 22.5mm!

If you have a look at those Alex Team Drivers' setting sheets, you will see these setting values!

Sorry for my poor explanation!
Just my 0.02 cents!
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #1370
Tech Regular

Default Re: All about setting downtravel...

Thanks for sharing that Fai! More q's I'm afraid

Is it normal for the front arms to be raised so high off the chassis?
I'm using a front shock length of 62mm.

How do you get the front length to 60mm?? Do i need too screw the ball end pass the shock rod threads???

I'm using the shortest ball end which fits a 5.8mm ball. I think the kit comes with two different ball ends.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:02 PM   #1371
fai
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Re: All about setting downtravel...

Quote:

How do you get the front length to 60mm?? Do i need too screw the ball end pass the shock rod threads???

I'm using the shortest ball end which fits a 5.8mm ball. I think the kit comes with two different ball ends.
Itchynads:

- Yes, it's normal!
- Oops?! Will the R2 kit comes with a longer shock rod?? For my R1, without placing any collars inside the front damper bodies, the minimum front damper length can be set to approx. 58.0mm! (When the ball end nearly screws to the last thread of the shock rod...) So, I think you better follow R2 manual and put in a 2mm collars inside... a too long damper may spoil damping a little bit Ah... (although using down-stop screws...)

Old 03-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #1372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: All about setting downtravel...

Quote:

It's normal so long as you have the shock mounted into the INNER hole of the front arm...

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:53 AM   #1373
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default conversion r2

Hey guys whats parts do i need to convert my old cuda to the r2?
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:41 AM   #1374
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Okay, just got off the phone with Japan, and I mentioned the missing battery tray/strap issue with them. The first thing they will check is if the battery strap and tray is compatible with the R2, and if so, they will be sending us the battery compartments as soon as possible. I apologize for the error in package to all of you it is a little bit beyond my control, but I should've checked more thoroughly the content of each kit, so that was my mistake.

The parts are due to arrive on schedule next Monday/Tuesday (there might be a slight delay at customs now due to the war)

itchynads,

I follow the instruction on the R2 completely and installed the 1mm spacer in the rear shock and it seem to be setup okay. I think MikeR is right as well, the car can do without the spacer. If you like, I can email you our supplement sheet to possibly help with the shock assembly?

Fuk_Wrx,

I'm not too familiar with the R1 and R2 difference, our resident Barracuda Nut (Dave) should be checking in here in a couple of hours, he'll be more than happy to help you out.

Steve Wang
Old 03-20-2003, 01:49 AM   #1375
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default r2????????

speedtech: thanks anyway, and i emailed you

dave: help us out
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:16 AM   #1376
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky

I received my R2 yesterday(thanks again Steve) and have my R1 sitting at home. When I get home from work I'll look and see what the differences are. I looked real quick last night and the R2 is slightly narrower(is that a word) and the batteries are closer to the center. It looks like the battery hold down will work but I'll check for sure.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #1377
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I tooka good long look at Steve's website for the Barracuda and here are my questions:

1. Will the arms hit the bevel gear if you raise the roll center?

2. Can you mount the rear upper links to the shock tower?

3. On the front C-Hubs-will 28mm foam tires hit the tall upper link support? Looks like its gonna be close.

4. Has anyone run one on foam/carpet and know it works well.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #1378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

rayhuang- you moving on to a new kit? I think this one would be killler to have!

Any one have any experience with the Cuda on an outdoor Parking lot type surface? We race the winters on indoor concrete but the summer is all Parking lot...this car to nice to hit the lot???

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 AM   #1379
Tech Adept

Default 28MM...

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
I tooka good long look at Steve's website for the Barracuda and here are my questions:

1. Will the arms hit the bevel gear if you raise the roll center?

2. Can you mount the rear upper links to the shock tower?

3. On the front C-Hubs-will 28mm foam tires hit the tall upper link support? Looks like its gonna be close.

4. Has anyone run one on foam/carpet and know it works well.
WITH 28 MM HUBS YOU WOULD RUN SPACERS TO WIDEN THE TRACK SO YOU DONT "TRACTION ROLL".
bigd4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #1380
Tech Champion

rayhuang,

You can raise the arms without having to worry about anything, because the arm mounts are seperate from the bulkhead.

There are no upper arm links on the shock towers. All the link mounts are on the upper deck. There are a total of three for the front and the shortest length would be equivalent to mounting on the shock tower with its distance. I will try this setup next tuesday.

As for 28mm foam tires, I mentioned this to Dave (our resident barracuda nut) and he says he runs 28mm foam on his no problem. Just make sure you have the optional wider 6mm hex hubs on there.

Jeff,

My first run with the car was actually out at a parking lot track, and the car worked really good. No problem I actually finished building the car at the track, and ended up taking 3rd in 19t class and set fastest lap

Steve Wang