R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2003, 01:40 AM   #1351
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

ok I won't need a 17 then, highest gear ratio I've used is 9.07. That was for a tight indoor track and I could of done with going up half a tooth. Matrix motors are incredibly revvy, although I currently prefer my GM3, it's as fast as any other motor at my track even though it's 18months old and has a charred armature from when I overgeared it once.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:24 AM   #1352
Tech Adept

Default charred!?

cut that com dude before your motor goes completely south...if you dont have a com cutter or cant find someone to do it for you then take 1500 grit sandpaper and turn the armature till it gets back to a "copper" look. need some 1500 grit? lowes or home depot carries them and....worse comes to worse I will gladly mail you a piece.
bigd4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #1353
Tech Elite

I said ARMATURE not comm, , I get my comm done regularly, motor must be getting low on the comm now actually a real shame since people still comment on how fast it is. It's not like I do a lot of work on my drive train to get it running free either, and my 3000's aren't great for power, although the MRT VX Pro speedo is the best investment I've made.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #1354
Tech Adept

Default armature...

you r talking aboutthe web part of the armature?1500 grit it!It helps the magnetic flux(i think).
bigd4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:01 PM   #1355
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to dynoman007 Send a message via Skype™ to dynoman007
Default cudas on foam

if you guys are gonna run foams look back to an earlier post from someone earlier on this thread the companies name was excel i never noticed it very much til now it will allow you to run 28 mm foams on the car without running insanely wide wheel hexes ..
also once again lowers the overall cg of the car ... lower is faster
not sure if these parts will work unless you are running the speedway pal hinge pin conversion ... anyone with more info SPEAK UP LOL ... anyone that knows of a dealer selling excel items drop a link on here for all to see for themselves ..
dynoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:16 PM   #1356
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: cudas on foam

Quote:
Originally posted by dynoman007
if you guys are gonna run foams look back to an earlier post from someone earlier on this thread the companies name was excel i never noticed it very much til now it will allow you to run 28 mm foams on the car without running insanely wide wheel hexes ..
also once again lowers the overall cg of the car ... lower is faster
not sure if these parts will work unless you are running the speedway pal hinge pin conversion ... anyone with more info SPEAK UP LOL ... anyone that knows of a dealer selling excel items drop a link on here for all to see for themselves ..
Dyno' You can run foams without using the Excel goodies... and without wide hex addaptors

Also Speedway PAL now carrys al EXCEL products

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #1357
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech

I'll be out tomorrow night racing the Cuda again since the NORRCA state champ, wish me luck guys!

Steve Wang

Good Luck Steve !!

-Dave

P.S. Don't break any more C-hubs too
Old 03-18-2003, 07:01 PM   #1358
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
nice pictures, not quite a thousand words worth but still very nice

Ok, I've been checking the gearing I will be needing for the cuda using 48dp gears, using roll out and going by what I use for my RC Lab and then the internal gearing mentioned here for the cuda. It seems I'm going to need some small pinions, especially with my revvy stock motors and mod motors I'll be using in the summer. Does 72/20, or even 19, sound ok to you guys for an indoor wooden floor track with a stock motor? keep in mind I'm using a matrix V10r stock motor which has more revs than a Green Machine 3, the GM3 I have gives me something like 72/22 if I go by the roll out I used last week which was slightly acceleration biased.
Will these gearing ratios work? ie will the motor move enough for the gears to meet each other?

My current smallest pinion is 24, going to probably have to order 19-23 and I like my not so cheap titanium pinions will also order a 72 and 74/75 spur gear, those nice light white RW ones. Seems the exact opposite of my Lab which requires quite large spurs and pinions for the gears to be able to mesh, currently using 100/25. I can actually similar pinions for a 12turn when I race outdoors so I hopefully won't need 15-18 teeth pinions

72T Spur is the Best size for teh Cuda!

-Dave
Old 03-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #1359
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Tsubasa Sakai

JDM: Do you think is there any advantage if I use R2 a-arm and add shock tower spacer on Pal ver.??
Tsubasa Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:08 AM   #1360
fai
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
JDM: Do you think is there any advantage if I use R2 a-arm and add shock tower spacer on Pal ver.??
TS: Will those R2 arms don't fit?? I think Dave is busy with the war!
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #1361
Tech Champion

Talking Times running out for me..but

Quote:
Originally posted by Fai
TS: Will those R2 arms don't fit?? I think Dave is busy with the war!
The arms "will" fit on the Cuda R1 and PAL.... but if you have the short arm conversion why change from that.

Also if you look at the pictures of the Updated Speedway PAL site..you can see that they are using the standard shock mount with there R2 set up....with the PAL short arm conversion

As for me I say it's down to about 2 days for me left on the Net .....You guys know why...
But I'll pop in every now and then !!

and don't forget to click my e-mail link in my signature if you all have questions!!

but here it is again

[email protected]

-Dave
Old 03-19-2003, 09:04 AM   #1362
Tech Elite

Sitting here waiting on my cuda to arrive, hopefully it will be here by the end of tomorrow can't wait to get it built, won't be able to race it until next Monday though, atleast it gives me time to build it properly and get a shell p-ainted up for it.

Wish USPS would update their tracking more regularly though only just put up the fact that it left their sorting place yesterday

seems you're changing time zones JDM, good luck, hopefully most of them will just surrender.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:55 AM   #1363
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator

seems you're changing time zones JDM, good luck, hopefully most of them will just surrender.
I hope it goes quick So I can get back home to Japan...to play with all of my New R/C Stuff
-Dave
Old 03-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #1364
Tech Regular

More question's with regards to building the shocks on the R2. Not exactly sure how they go together but I think they seem to work ok. Getting the shock lengths is a bit confusing. I think I'm running 62mm at the front and 65mm at the rear.

1. Do I place the shocks with the longer body at the rear? This seems to be the logical placement of the shocks.

2. The manual states that I should use a No.7 spacer on the shocks. Looking at the spacer it seems to be 2mm thick. It looks like it is being used to limit the down travel of the shock and to reduce its length. The instructions seem to suggest that the no.7 spacer is 1mm thick which isn't the case. I've used the white 1mm spacer instead and have only used them on the longer shocks at the rear. The front shocks don't have spacers to limit the down travel. I didn't use the 2mm spacers because it makes the shock travel almost non-existant.

A bit of a hit and miss but looks like they went together ok considering that I can't read Japanese I'm counting on the pictures being accurate.

Last edited by itchynads; 03-19-2003 at 06:13 PM.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:40 PM   #1365
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Longer in rear is correct.
I omitted the spacer inside the shock also- I would rather use droop screws to limit my travel. If you aren't familiar with how droop screws affect your handling then I would put the spacers in for now and try it before trying your own custom set-up. I've found It's always best to start with a factory recommended setting and then work from there.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by MikeR; 03-19-2003 at 06:46 PM.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote