R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2002, 08:46 PM   #91
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by rcruv

I ordered it from overseas store. It came in faster than it would've taken from some US online stores.

You can try stores like

Rc-models in HK
http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/eshopping/default.htm

Control center in HK
http://controlcentre.rctech.net/hp/o...20shop%20a.htm

Rainbowten in Japan
http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

in the order of the easiest to browse and order.

Email them, they're very helpful.

Only problem is the spare parts. I'm trying to check if I can use parts from other cars.

I'll post it as I find it.
those online shop in hong kong dont keep any stock but share the stock with LHS. i.e. and the worst is they take your order first but they dont really know what they have in stock and eventually you have to wait for as long as a few month.

Last edited by Manticore; 05-19-2002 at 08:48 PM.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:50 PM   #92
Tech Regular

rcruv: sweet car! I'm tempted to try out a shaft-drive car... how do you like this car? What's hot/what's not?
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:38 PM   #93
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

those online shop in hong kong dont keep any stock but share the stock with LHS. i.e. and the worst is they take your order first but they dont really know what they have in stock and eventually you have to wait for as long as a few month.
I agree with you. It could require patience to buy it from overseas. So I email them first and find out what they have in stock then normally there's no problem getting it.

I heard that Barracuda is getting very popular in Asia, so I just hope that those stores keep lots of parts in stock or better yet somebody import them here.

rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:50 PM   #94
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by rcruv

I agree with you. It could require patience to buy it from overseas. So I email them first and find out what they have in stock then normally there's no problem getting it.

I heard that Barracuda is getting very popular in Asia, so I just hope that those stores keep lots of parts in stock or better yet somebody import them here.

my friend from aust did email them i.e. rcmodel on 1/10 foam tires, they said yes but after payment they said no stock and have to wait.

I am from Hong Kong too and I think this kind of business ethic is not any good at all.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:03 PM   #95
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jwwu
rcruv: sweet car! I'm tempted to try out a shaft-drive car... how do you like this car? What's hot/what's not?
Thanks for coming to check it out. I appreciate your help finding me out the sizes of bearings.

You better try out a shaft drive car. You will be surprised how different they run. It's part of fun doing rc racing, isn't it?

Other than lack of setup information and a few minor design flaws, this car is very nicely designed and made.

Parts quality is very nice. I can't say much about the performance 'cuz I haven't tried it at the track yet but so far I like it.

It seemed pretty fast from the dead stop and drive sysem is very smooth and light as I heard from other racer.

It also came in with dust covers to prevent rocks from sticking in diff gears.

I like their Yokomo style shocks with aluminum body and bleed caps (not threaded though), Yokomo style steering system, aluminum bulkheads, beautifully carved carbon fiber chassis and uper deck.
Overall very solid design and construction.

Setup can be easy or tricky depends on who they are.
'cuz basically front/rear kickup, caster is simply adjusted by putting more shims (not included) under ball heads that supports a arms (unique design - very free yet solid).

What I don't like is the rear diff (front oneway included).
It can't be tightened further. (too loose all the time)

Motor mount is just one piece aluminum so there's no gap with spring to adjust and prevent torq steer like TC3's.

I need to put shims to raise the servo link so that it doesn't touch the shaft to get more steering.

I still think TC3 is a better shaft drive racer though.

That's all I could think of right now.

Racer or not I like the car.

I'll post more as I come up with more.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:30 PM   #96
Tech Regular

Thanks, rcruv... keep 'em coming.

Personally, I'm a freak about build quality and parts finish etc. So that's definitely important to me. Hope I don't offend anyone here, but even souped-up Losi's and TC3's just don't make me go "Wow..." the way 414Ms or "exotics" like the Alex's and Ova's do...

of course, on track performance is another matter. And with the number of diehard XXXS and TC3 fans out there, I have no doubt these are high performance cars...
Old 05-20-2002, 06:41 PM   #97
Tech Adept

This is more of a car of design and innovation. They experiment by using the ballhead to secure the A Arms and instead of the traditional pin secure. Another thing, this is the rear toe in adjustment by the offset ballhead. This is another quick change. Comet also have the quick shock change shaft. This is original from Speedway Pal but I guess they market the product together with Comet. With this, you can adjust the shock position by removing the 3mm nut. I am planning to get another set for my KX-one.

The diff is very smooth and I do not seem to have any problem with it.

Just ask Control Centre about the Double One Way by Comet for Barracuda. I think they still have one or two in stock.
TRF414M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #98
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Mingfinity

Hi TRF414M
probably u are the one pre-own that Barracuda today in Control center? I am the one in pink tee..
The Barracuda is very nice! Specially with all the Square and Comet parts..

Too bad I still racing with PRO3 and no chance to test this car..
[Probably my 2nd hand pro3 is from u or your teammate..]
Mingfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:17 PM   #99
Tech Regular

I tried the Barracuda at the track.

It's not set up all the way yet. Still it was running much better than I ever expected.

Very sharp and solid handling. And quiet too.

I used Yokomo mr4tc springs (direct fit).

This is the current setup so far.

Track - hard bite, smooth asphalt indoor track

- Front -
Camber 1.5
Toe-in 0
Caster 7 (standard)
Kick-up 2 (standard)
Ride Height 4.5mm
No anti roll bar
Oil 50wt (trinity)
Piston 2 (standard)
Spring kit black (standard, a little stiffer than yokomo yellow)

- Rear -
Camber 1.5
Toe-in 2
Caster 0
Ride Height 4.5mm
No anti roll bar
Oil 30wt
Piston 2
Spring White (yokomo mr4tc)

Motor - blown p2k2 I use to test cars (easier to the drive train and to break in)
Gear - 72/26 (motor was much cooler than with TC3. More efficient drive train maybe)
Tires - sorex 32r, HPI green, proline dish wheels

First impression, it was pretty quick coming out of corners and maintained good speed in the straight way. The car was making whisling noise in the straight way which I've never heard before with this motor.

It seemed to have little drag in the drive train because the car slowed down quite a bit when I released the throttle (not braking).

But it was actually freer than my TC3 when I tried turn the drive train with my hand.

I had enough steering. I didn't have to put any shims to raise the servo link. Good news. But it could touch the shaft if you want more steering end point.

Ackerman might need some adjustment.
Maybe it was the slow standard servo, the car had less steering entering the corner and more steering out of the corner.

It may be the caster and kickup. I'll try to put some shims to take out some caster to see what happens.

This car has a potential to be a good racer.
Two words, solid and quick.

It felt really different from TC3 which also is the shaft drive.
The chassis seemed to have a little more flex compared to TC3's real stiff graphite tub chassis.

It required completely different style of driving.

It withstood some minor crashes and a roll without a scratch. (no broken parts. Very durable due to maybe softer plastic hubs and more flexible chassis)

Once it scraped the wall pretty hard. Only the screw holding camber ball loosened. No broken or bent parts.

Since I couldn't time the lap so I'll try it at the race and let you know of the result.

Last edited by rcruv; 05-22-2002 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:44 PM   #100
Tech Adept

This is my setting:

Front
Camber: -1.0
Toe In: 0.0
Kick Up: 2.0
Castor: 3 ~ 5 degree (Square I didn't measure it)
Shock Oil: 40WT Trinity
Spring: Yokomo Yellow
Anti-Roll: Yokomo Roll Bar Silver (SP Front Roll Bar)

Rear
Camber: -1.0
Toe In: 3.0 (With Offset Ballhead)
Anti-Squart: Stock
Shock Oil: 35WT Trinity
Spring: Yokomo Yellow
Anti-Roll: Yokomo Roll Bar Silver

Motor Team Luna 8T Double
ESC Mtronics M3 (water proof)
Battery Team Orion 3000
Servo Futuba 9550
Body Alex Racing Design M300
Charger Alex Racing Design Thunderbolt
Spur Gear/pinion 72/23

The option center shaft holders are must because this will free up transmission.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:46 PM   #101
Tech Regular

TRF414M: what do you think of the 9550 servo? It's size is sweet... how's the performance?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:01 PM   #102
Tech Adept

Oh I see.

Barracuda is very nice compare to most of the kit. I like it a lot because it is not too expensive to hop up unless you want the A Arms from Square which you don't really need.

I don't think you have my Pro 3. Unless you bought the dull version of the Pro 3 chassis. This is from my other friend. He and I are the only two that have the Kai Chassis in Hong Kong. Most of the other are from C.C.

For me, Barracuda is easier for me to get the setup. This is because my friends are basically driving the same car. At this moment, we have 4 to 5 people that are driving this car. I am also testing the new KX-one with the Conversion Kit by next week just finish building it. Pain in the butt to build it though because of the different screws that they uses and unorganized packing unlike Alex Racing Design.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:03 PM   #103
Tech Adept

Well, it is not as fast as the other servo, if you look at the spec. But for me, I think it works fine with me and I have no complain. I like the size and it is quick enough for me. I am waiting for the new 3 PK from Futuba. It looks like a laser gun and I think it is very sweet.

Last edited by TRF414M; 05-22-2002 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:24 PM   #104
Tech Regular

So, yokomo mr4tc anti roll bars are direct fit too?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:25 PM   #105
Tech Regular

For those who have never seen the box.

Last edited by rcruv; 05-22-2002 at 10:32 PM.