Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randman
If you can't get rid of it, just have a friend at the track hold down on the front and rear shock towers (pretty hard) and tighten all of the bolts down in a star pattern, you can usually get a perfectly flat car by doing that.
done that too..

Originally posted by rocketron
I've found the shock mounts can shift both front and rear. if you loosen them hold them down and tighten all will be good. i have recently countersunk the two top srcew holes and for the last couple weeks have not had this problem any longer

you may want to try this
which two screws? I'm assuming the steering post..
Old 08-26-2003, 10:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I hadn't thought of doing that Ron, but the towers do shift a bit, now I just gotta find someone with a drillpress (mine got stolen right from the garage )
Old 08-26-2003, 10:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by rc-zombies
which two screws? I'm assuming the steering post..
Not the steering post holes, the top 2 holes on the shock towers front and rear.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

And I'm off to the track, see you there Ron
Old 08-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Not the steering post holes, the top 2 holes on the shock towers front and rear.
I'll try that... thanks,
Old 08-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

I hadn't thought of doing that Ron, but the towers do shift a bit, now I just gotta find someone with a drillpress (mine got stolen right from the garage )
I don't have a drill press or a countersink bit, but I'm going to try just using flathead screws to center the shock tower temporarily.

Some of the slop is from the spacers, don't you think?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Headbanger
I don't have a drill press or a countersink bit, but I'm going to try just using flathead screws to center the shock tower temporarily. Some of the slop is from the spacers, don't you think?

Don't you mean countersunk screw to center the shock towers?
That's what I would use to center the shock towers...until I get to home depot for a countersink bit... No matter how tight you tighten the flathead...still move after you try to twist the car....

Old 08-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Don't you mean countersunk screw to center the shock towers?
That's what I would use to center the shock towers...until I get to home depot for a countersink bit... No matter how tight you tighten the flathead...still move after you try to twist the car....
Yes Flathead/Countersink (not Socket head cap) screws.

I couldn't find a metric countersink bit at Home Depot/Lowes. What's another alternative?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Just a std carbide countersink bit will work... you'll have to be carefull not to go too deep.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just a std carbide countersink bit will work... you'll have to be carefull not to go too deep.
The std bit will work but go very slowly and do not make it deeper than you need. All you want to do is use the countersink as a centering method. So if the head isn't totally flush it really is only cosmetic. I did mine nearly flush because of the stress here I wanted as much material as possible to be left there.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the tips Rocketron.

I just temporarily installed countersink screws on the upper 2 holes of the shock towers.... That centered everything...no more tweak... all 4 shocks have equal pre-load.... what a relief... I was pulling my hair out left and right trying to figure it out... finally the car is perfectly balance... with a few strand of hair left.

and thanks to Dan for sending me some Fukuyama cells....

This car is going to kick some buttie at the next...
Old 08-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Man How are you guys geting so much tweek in these Cudas..?? the only tweek that I had was induced froom a head on crash and the chassis was pretty much gone after that...so I bought a new one...(Kai R1 PAL ) anyways after ever run I go throught the car and check everything just to be on the safe side..droop,ride height..tweek ect ect//

-Dave
Old 08-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Man How are you guys geting so much tweek in these Cudas..?? the only tweek that I had was induced froom a head on crash and the chassis was pretty much gone after that...so I bought a new one...(Kai R1 PAL ) anyways after ever run I go throught the car and check everything just to be on the safe side..droop,ride height..tweek ect ect//

-Dave
can not speak for everyone BUT what seems to happen if you tumble over a dot and get some air the front shock mount shifts and induces tweakage. at socal with the cement block walls i've experienced this - i know we aren't supposed to hit them. . . . .

but countersinking the top two screws on the mount solved this for myself.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know what you guys are doing to your poor cars either
I don't have a tweek guage but I check my car on a flat surface regularly and have never had any issues. Being careful when tightening all the screws has becomesecond nature and I certianly have it nice and tweak free recently

maybe you guys should concentrate on your racing
Old 08-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rocketron
can not speak for everyone BUT what seems to happen if you tumble over a dot and get some air the front shock mount shifts and induces tweakage. at socal with the cement block walls i've experienced this - i know we aren't supposed to hit them. . . . .

but countersinking the top two screws on the mount solved this for myself.
Have all you guys replaced your large 2.5mm hex screws with something else? like stainless steel ones or titanium......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.