R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2003, 12:02 PM   #3406
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Herm - The tracks they give you to run on out there really seem poor. I think you need to move to Cali
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #3407
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up Bladder capped shox

Yesterday I tried the yokSD bladder caps for the first time, I think I'll keep em on, very smooth on the bumpy transitions at SoCal, and now I have another tuning option. next week will try o-rings on top of rear bladder for more steering.

Btw I ran 1.4x7.00 springs with the bladder caps and there was very little chassis roll

The LongArms we CUDA folk have make our car a different breed altogether.

Herm sounds like a very challenging course you had there, if you plan on returning I have some ideas you may want to try

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:23 PM   #3408
Tech Prophet

I havent put much thought into the bladder caps. On the SD we were actually switching out to the plastic caps. Was the car harder to drive in any areas of the track with the bladder caps?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 PM   #3409
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I havent put much thought into the bladder caps. On the SD we were actually switching out to the plastic caps. Was the car harder to drive in any areas of the track with the bladder caps?
It was nearly identical but slightly smoother especially on the transitions. Same balance, same input required in corners and acceleration.
On the new SoCal layout there is a fun section where you go flat out on the front straight through a right sweeper then make a very tight right turn on the banking accelerating hard down off the banking thru a sweeping left up to a left double apex. It was easier to hold a tight line with the bladder caps here, not faster just easier = more consistent I think

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 08-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #3410
Tech Prophet

Do you know if SoCal has any more in stock, I'd like to give them a try.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #3411
Tech Champion

Quote:
Do you know if SoCal has any more in stock, I'd like to give them a try.
dunno if SoCal has them, but Speedtech does

Old 08-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #3412
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Challenging, you could say that
I don't think there will be any more races there this year, I don't think the club there has even used it much. The track itself was kind of odd, no real tight hairpins, but plenty of 2m wide 180's which I couldn't get the front end bite for without the rear getting skittish. it did seem flowing enough for a one way to give a good advantage, just didn't quite have the stick to take full advantage. Not fun when every few laps you see titanium sparks coming from beneath your car and you know your chassis is going to look like mince meat
Had some nice close racing in the final but didn't have the confidence in the car to stick it up the inside at any time, always had to wait until they ran wide a little then try go tighter, which would normaly end up with me getting wider on the exit as I try to get the speed to stay ahead, also pusing the other car wide, very challenging to keep things clean. I think some people thought I'd taken another guy out badly at one point, I was actually about a foot behind him as he hit the hollow whilst starting to steer for the fast sweeper, he started summersaulting ahead of me and I couldn't do much to avoid helping him on his way off the track.

My setup ended up as, 1degree front toe out, 2.5degrees toe in rear, 1degree camber all round (gave nice even tyre wear) kit springs, 7.5mm ride height, shocks in kit positions, droop... probably too much, I need some droop gauges ( wink wink Steve ) all turnbuckle links in kit positions.

Don't suppose anyone knows the spring strengths of Yokomo's springs, in GFmm, I can get them quite cheap here and they have a handy colour coding, I certainly need some softer springs.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #3413
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
dunno if SoCal has them, but Speedtech does
Cool, thanks Dave.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #3414
Tech Champion

Hey Linger.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Challenging, you could say that
I don't think there will be any more races there this year, I don't think the club there has even used it much. The track itself was kind of odd, no real tight hairpins, but plenty of 2m wide 180's which I couldn't get the front end bite for without the rear getting skittish. it did seem flowing enough for a one way to give a good advantage, just didn't quite have the stick to take full advantage. Not fun when every few laps you see titanium sparks coming from beneath your car and you know your chassis is going to look like mince meat
Had some nice close racing in the final but didn't have the confidence in the car to stick it up the inside at any time, always had to wait until they ran wide a little then try go tighter, which would normaly end up with me getting wider on the exit as I try to get the speed to stay ahead, also pusing the other car wide, very challenging to keep things clean. I think some people thought I'd taken another guy out badly at one point, I was actually about a foot behind him as he hit the hollow whilst starting to steer for the fast sweeper, he started summersaulting ahead of me and I couldn't do much to avoid helping him on his way off the track.

My setup ended up as, 1degree front toe out, 2.5degrees toe in rear, 1degree camber all round (gave nice even tyre wear) kit springs, 7.5mm ride height, shocks in kit positions, droop... probably too much, I need some droop gauges ( wink wink Steve ) all turnbuckle links in kit positions.

Don't suppose anyone knows the spring strengths of Yokomo's springs, in GFmm, I can get them quite cheap here and they have a handy colour coding, I certainly need some softer springs.
Crimey with that kind of ride height you could have prolly left out the droop screws alltogether

Dunno about the yok springs, but the Rayspeed yellow seems substanitally heavier than the kit R2 springs...perhaps "Linger" a regular here can give us some specs, he's an engineer with the correct instrumentation to do it.

Maybe a set of 1.4x7.00s would be good to have for conditions like that. hmmm could have been a good day for a Spliff too

Old 08-03-2003, 01:54 PM   #3415
Tech Prophet

Default For Sale..

Hey guys, I am selling my blue R2, bought it to have a car for the Hitec race, but now that is over, and I have 2 other R2's to run. It has 5 weeks of racing on it, and everything is in excellent condition. Has blue clamping hubs, and f/r alloy shaft mounts. Professionally built and driven, and the car has just been rebuilt and tweaked after the Hitec race, so it's ready to rock. PM me if interested.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #3416
Tech Elite

HEHE, droop screws were next to useless

A spliff would of been good, the proper typre though.....
Old 08-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #3417
Tech Prophet

I think I just figured out part of the problem of why my rear end was loose at Hitec yesterday, all 4 bearings in the hub carriers were very rough. Just blew out 4 brand new bearings and royal oiled them, so the drivetrain is smooth once again
Old 08-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #3418
Tech Champion

Quote:
I think I just figured out part of the problem of why my rear end was loose at Hitec yesterday, all 4 bearings in the hub carriers were very rough. Just blew out 4 brand new bearings and royal oiled them, so the drivetrain is smooth once again
hmmm, not too sure about that...

Will you be bringing Pinky Tuesday with an NBL system

way OT...anyone else notice "A Night at the Roxbury" conotation here __
No...?
YES !

Old 08-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #3419
Tech Elite

Quote:

No...?
YES !
err... maybe, if I new what the heck it was.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #3420
Tech Prophet

Quote:
hmmm, not too sure about that...

Will you be bringing Pinky Tuesday with an NBL system

No...?
YES !
I'm not following that whole post either, lol.

I wont be racing Tuesday, but I will most likely be coming up to return your swaybars, and watch the racing, still not 100% sure if I can though..