Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Barracuda from Alex racing >

Barracuda from Alex racing

Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Old 06-22-2003, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Hi there, I would like to know what are SPLIFFs? I saw them in the set up sheet of the R2 for the SO CAL track.

Does camber link position make a lot of difference in terms of handling? The R2 only has two positions on the car while other manufacturers like the Yokomo, etc... have different mounting locations. It's quite confusing. What dictates corner speed and on-power steering?

How does the R2 fair out against the Yok SD? What kind of car took second in the KO Grand Prix PRO STOCK class?

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Spliffs....

LOL ....spliffs are things you smoke and give you chinese eyes.. Did not know that it could help with setup. Maybe we're all missing something!!

Fatboy, you got this kit already?

Anyways, congratz on your 2nd place yesterday.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Glide 1: Thanks! It wasn't an easy race coz aside from running with the fast guys, I really had a bad stomach....must have eaten something....

I'll be getting the 1st kit on wednesday to test. Still waiting for my parts list in english from Alex Racing Japan to finalize my parts order but already made orders on the R2 kits.

I'll keep you posted on the test results. Read so much info on the R2 and it really looks promising.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Well I had a pretty good day at Carlisle, car was better setup than last time, could take a load of corner speed.
After getting a best of 17laps 4 seconds last time I really wanted to better it and get into 18laps, the better 12T guys get fast 18lappers.
First run was ok a slowish 17lapper, lowered the ride height from whats needed at Ayr, ended up an awful lot lower which made the car very well planted and track temperature evened out from the patchy wetness it had earlier. Second run I managed 17laps 1.9seconds, new PB
Third run I drove, well erm, it wasn't good
Fourth run I was going well after one not so fast lap at the start, I had my most consitantly fast run yet, nearly all laps within 0.5 seconds and on the very fast side. Then near the end another car needed marshaling and the marshal should of waited for me to pass but instead he tried to jump over my car to get to the other one, which really put me off and I took the corner too early and flew off the high curb and across the track, loosing 2seconds, next lap I managed to go off at the end of the straight and loose another 2 seconds flooring it across the grass and just making it back on, ended up on 17laps 3 seconds so close to that 18lapper.
Final I was 6th overall, not bad considering only me and my club mate were running 19turns, everyone else were on 12turn motors with about 20 there, we ran three finals lessening the risk of crashes, and it worked well, very tidy races. A couple had left early so there were 6 in each final with me last in the A.
Off the start line the car was fine then halfway along the straight before the first corner I got some interference, the car went off and straight into a wooden fence post car was put back on the track with the front of the shell caved in, causing it to rub a little on the ground in some corners, nothing too bad though and I was going well, half way through I hit a curb just right to pop the shell back to normal, and so I was able to go a touch faster. 5th place had a problem and lost a little time so I moved up a place, then the fourth place guy had a small off roading experience and I had closed enough to pass him, he joined right behind me but I pulled away for the rest of the race. Ended up 4th against all 12turn guys and set my fastest time yet, 17laps and 0.4seconds, ARGH!! less than half a second away from 18laps!!! That stupid radio glitch cost me about 5seconds

Still very happy with the car, some cars probably wouldn't have survived that crash so well and with just a few adjustments it's going great. Using fairly standard setup, a bit more camber at the front, one step up in the spring rates up front, one way installed.

To say the mod guys were impressed is kind of an understatement
Old 06-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally posted by Fatboy Joe
Hi there, I would like to know what are SPLIFFs? I saw them in the set up sheet of the R2 for the SO CAL track.

Does camber link position make a lot of difference in terms of handling? The R2 only has two positions on the car while other manufacturers like the Yokomo, etc... have different mounting locations. It's quite confusing. What dictates corner speed and on-power steering?

How does the R2 fair out against the Yok SD? What kind of car took second in the KO Grand Prix PRO STOCK class?

Thanks for the info.
Hey Joe:
The Spool\Diff combo was covered earlier in this thread...
Link to Spliff article

Tamiya/Novak driver Charlie Suangka nabbed second at the KOGP with his evoIII.

There are 3 camber link positions on the upper deck and 2 on the hub carrier. Thus far I have found the standard positions to work best
Old 06-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Standard link positions work great for me too car was sorted today.

Looks like we've got another Cuda driver in the UK now
If only we could get a good distributer here in the UK, I'm sure a lot more people would take the car up, half of Scotland's drivers has now seen it embaris 12turn runners
Old 06-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Never fear Hermi, workin very hard to convince my supplier its the way ahead. He gets stuff direct from Japan on a regular basis, so am trying to see if he will at least stock spares if not the kits. However the whole lot would be nice.....if he can get it ofcourse!!

Hopefully purchase of Cuda will be sorted in the next couple of days and i can look forward to retiring the tired TC3 for now!!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi everyone, I took my Cuda out today on it's maiden voyage at one of our local parking lot venues and after 2 heats with 2nd place finishes I was really having fun. It was funny though the left front upper tierod end poped off the ball during the 2nd heat and It caused a bad push on right hand turns but I still finished! In the main I got caught up in traffic on the start and even got hit a couple of times causing more mayham but the car was working great for it's first time out. It had good speed and I was pulling people on the straight and worked my way up to a 2nd place finish in sportsman stock! Gotta love this car!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Fatboy Joe,

Originally posted by Fatboy Joe
Glide 1: Thanks! It wasn't an easy race coz aside from running with the fast guys, I really had a bad stomach....must have eaten something....

I'll be getting the 1st kit on wednesday to test. Still waiting for my parts list in english from Alex Racing Japan to finalize my parts order but already made orders on the R2 kits.

I'll keep you posted on the test results. Read so much info on the R2 and it really looks promising.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Fatboy Joe,

Yup keep us posted on test results. Will you be the distributor for these kits here in the Phil.? Would be nice if we had 1 here...i've only heard good feedback on the car and it would be nice to see how it compares to other rides out there.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up Glide 1

Yup, we got the exclusive distributorship in the Philippines. I'll send you a couple of kits when they arrive. The suggested retail price is pretty much competitive. I'll know exactly how much when the kits come in. I'm just waiting for the confirmation of my order. You can carry them exclusively in Cebu if you like I'll let you know asap
Old 06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Deves
Hi everyone, I took my Cuda out today on it's maiden voyage at one of our local parking lot venues and after 2 heats with 2nd place finishes I was really having fun. It was funny though the left front upper tierod end poped off the ball during the 2nd heat and It caused a bad push on right hand turns but I still finished! In the main I got caught up in traffic on the start and even got hit a couple of times causing more mayham but the car was working great for it's first time out. It had good speed and I was pulling people on the straight and worked my way up to a 2nd place finish in sportsman stock! Gotta love this car!!!
Congrats` on the 1st time out with the Cuda

-Dave
Old 06-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Well it was a pretty decent club night, the car was working great for a change at the club. Just needed the rear shocks moved back out at the bottom to the stock position.
I'd made a few mistakes in the first couple of runs but still had a decent time from the second run which put me second in the A.
Third and final qualifier I was going very well, on FTD pace from the start and running a very close time with another car, I was in the lead for the first half then slipped back a bit, there was only about 2 seconds in it at any time and third place moved onto the FTD pace too about half way through. Then my car slowed to a halt the pinion had moved back on the motor shaft, I think it's grub screw thread is knackered. The spur had a bit of damage on it from the pinion just touching one edge of it so needs replacing but I didn't have time at the track so just ran it for the final. By the end of the last run I'd been knocked down to 4th
My average lap time in the last run was actually faster than the time than took pole, he had one lap where he lost a few seconds just after I had pulled out, ahwell. Not bad for a 19T, pole guy was using a 14 and the next two were using 12's.
The final was fairly uneventful for me, other than worrying about stripping the spur, every time I accelerated hard I could hear it complain with a bit of a crunch, after a shakey start where I lost a few seconds I was in third. The two leaders had a close race for all 5minutes, swapping positions all the time yet not actually taking each other out. During the second half of the race I slowly closed the gap but not fast enough, I was able to lap the fourth place guy though and finished on FTD pace. The two leaders were about 6 seconds ahead by the end, the difference meant they got another lap, in that last lap they touched and one went into the ropes, a shame, I think he would have won otherwise with his 14mod.

Looking good for this weekend, just hope I don't have to ruin the handling by raising the chassis too much for the bumps where the event will be held. The cuda really is awsome for stock and 19turn racing, with the speedway pal drive system it should be crazy with a proper mod motor.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm so bummed,my cuda has just been setting in the hobby room,I have not had a chance to race for 6 weeks..i'm going crazy,new car,not even been run,I wanna race..
Old 06-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
I'm so bummed,my cuda has just been setting in the hobby room,I have not had a chance to race for 6 weeks..i'm going crazy,new car,not even been run,I wanna race..
Sounds like you need to make a road trip to find a place that has races
-Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.