R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM   #2416
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Question:

For those who have run the Cuda with Pal drive system. Do you find the need to use it in both Stock and Mod, or only when the low turn Mod are bolted in?

It has been my experence that the stock drive train is consistanly more free, however it takes some work to get the bearings from sliding, which of course leads to the replacment of a spur gear per race day

Info. as always is rewarded

thanks,

JC
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:13 PM   #2417
Tech Addict

I have the PAL drive system in my 'Cuda R2 and think that the very slight reduction in drive train efficiency is more than worth the trade-off against a nice and true shaft guide and the hassle of stripping spurs.

The only time I would consider reverting to the standard set-up is when I'm consistently second in the A main by 2/10th of a second and I'm looking for that tiny bit extra which wont happen in the near future
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #2418
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So i can expect replacing spur gears every race day?That does NOT sound good.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:20 AM   #2419
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
So i can expect replacing spur gears every race day?That does NOT sound good.
If you are careful with meshing you'll be fine. I ran mine bone stock for about 3 weeks and only stripped one spur, the PAL system just gives you a bit more security. As with any shaft drive car crashing less helps a lot too
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:28 AM   #2420
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by madjack
Question:

For those who have run the Cuda with Pal drive system. Do you find the need to use it in both Stock and Mod, or only when the low turn Mod are bolted in?

It has been my experence that the stock drive train is consistanly more free, however it takes some work to get the bearings from sliding, which of course leads to the replacment of a spur gear per race day

thanks,

JC
For safe mesure I always use the PAL drive system or equivelant on all of my CUDA's...while it's not really nequired for Stock...I would say that it would be much better for mod... but then again I drive at a track that doesn't have some of the best driver sin the world

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:31 AM   #2421
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
As with any shaft drive car crashing less helps a lot too

Very Good point

-Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 06:47 AM   #2422
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

In the 2 years i have been racing touring cars i have never had any problems with spur gears..never,and i did race a tc-3 for alot of it,so when i start reading about striping spur gears it makes me not want to put up with problems like that,and to fix this problem i need to spend about $ 160..my question is it worth it??
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:41 AM   #2423
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
In the 2 years i have been racing touring cars i have never had any problems with spur gears..never,and i did race a tc-3 for alot of it,so when i start reading about striping spur gears it makes me not want to put up with problems like that,and to fix this problem i need to spend about $ 160..my question is it worth it??
I think half the problem is the person mounting the motor to get the mesh, that includes me. The lower motor screw isn't that easy to get to so you may find you accidentaly move the motor when meshing it. I have now gotten used to meshing in the cuda and can do it reasonably quickly and well, I've not stripped a spur in about a month now and all I have is the alloy shaft holder for the rear. The other half is building the car right, it will take longer than a belt drive car, you need to get everything aligned.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:37 AM   #2424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by madjack
Question:

thanks,

JC
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I need to take a closer look since the spur experiences differ between racers.

I feel I have built and messed the gearing correctly...I guess at this point I need to consider if the spur wear is more a product of the track. The "Fish bowl" with a banked transition into the infield...aka So Cal raceway.

Thanks,

JC
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #2425
Tech Elite

What kind of spurs are you using? and what pinions?
I like to use Kimbrough spurs in the cuda, nice and tough with lots of area for meshing. RW spurs are very nice, light and effiecient but I think too narrow and soft for the cuda, I've used one in my Lab for about 9 months and it never showed signs of wear, but there gear mesh is easy to get right and since it's a belt car the spur is held very securely.
If you're using a mod motor that may account for some extra wear.

xxkat, I know it may be worrying hearing about spur problems but every car out there has an issue or two. Right now I wouldn't swap my cuda for any other car, I've never had one that fealt so good to drive every time, on a variety of surfaces. It's been on wooden floors, extra dusty wooden floors, smooth tarmac, rough tarmac, gritty dirty tarmac, wet tarmac. It's only taken small changes for each and I've rarely touched the settings on my transmitter, infact I started with some steering throw reducement on my transmitter, since it was indoors where excesive steering is a common problem, it gradually got turned down as I found the cuda could handle sharper steering but still at high speeds.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #2426
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator

xxkat, I know it may be worrying hearing about spur problems but every car out there has an issue or two. Right now I wouldn't swap my cuda for any other car, I've never had one that fealt so good to drive every time, on a variety of surfaces. It's been on wooden floors, extra dusty wooden floors, smooth tarmac, rough tarmac, gritty dirty tarmac, wet tarmac. It's only taken small changes for each and I've rarely touched the settings on my transmitter, infact I started with some steering throw reducement on my transmitter, since it was indoors where excesive steering is a common problem, it gradually got turned down as I found the cuda could handle sharper steering but still at high speeds.
I'll have to agree with you Hermi' I wouldn't trade my Cuda's for any other car at this time... I have yet to drive any TC that can carry as much coner speed as they do... ..you could almost drive my cars with a blind fold on ...well maybe

-Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 02:53 PM   #2427
Tech Master

JDM_DOHC_SiR / Herminator: I've seen versions of the Barracuda with the Batteries positioned on the left side of the chassis and the standard version which is on the right, my question is, what is the difference in handling running both configurations? I am quite curious on how the batts on the right side of the chassis affect handling in terms of the torque steer issue raised by some of my TC3 friends. Any info would be greatly appreciated....I really can't wait to have an R2 but need to answer question lingering in my head. Thanks again
Fatboy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #2428
Tech Elite

I've noticed very little torque steer in my R2, I think they've done a good job of getting the cells as close to the center of the chassis as is sensible. The issue of motor torque makes my brain hurt when thinking about it, since you have so many torques, there is the armature spinning and causing the motor can to feel torque the opposite way, then there is the cars drive shaft going the other way too and these are at different distances from the roll center. I should be able to work it out since I've done some mechanical engineering but there are lots of factors involved, like friction of bearings, the mass of parts, etc. So best thing is to see how the darn thing goes in reality, and as I've said there seems to be very little torque steer at all, you're more likely to notice some tweak in the chassis from a crash, not that I've noticed it tweaking much at all either my Lab lliked to tweak a lot after a crash, although it's turnbuckle ends needed replacing.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:31 PM   #2429
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Test_____________>
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #2430
Tech Elite

lol, funky logo