Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2003, 11:53 AM   #2326
Tech Addict

Thanks for the pics guys
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:38 PM   #2327
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just bought one,48 pitch is fine,I only run stock anyway.I think I'll like the car.Has anyone used the center oneway?Right now I'm running a Yokomo mr4-tc so at least I'm use to racing a car with oneways.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 01:48 PM   #2328
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

I don't think center one ways are worth bothering with personaly. The front one way is good though. A great idea is to get rid of the gunky grease int he bearings before you build the car, steering bearings are fine but all drivetrain ones should be degunked and then use some light oil in them. This freed up my car an awful lot, hence having the fastest 19T around at one of the largest events for a long time in the SMTCA. Infact I've since found out they had a few worries and inspected my motor and a couple others, just a basic visual check though
You'll probably want to get a few 72tooth 48dp spurs as spare, I reccomend Kimbrough, TC3 are the same.
I've probably stripped two because it's not so easy to get the right mesh, with the lower motor screw being a little awkward to get to, but I'm getting better at it, I do know how to mesh gears, I never even got signs of wear on my rc lab, but thats easy to check and get right.

I'll be putting my cuda to the test again this Sunday, a HPI sponsored event at Benarty, a track champion day.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #2329
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fai
teamAE, how about mine?! Sorry, mine is still a R1!
Fai your car looks Awesome!! ..... . . I too still have a R1 and it Rocks.. (Excel chassis)

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:17 PM   #2330
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by teamAE
Thanks for the pics guys
I'll have a few up later if you want to take a look too

-Dave
Old 05-28-2003, 06:19 PM   #2331
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I'll have a few up later if you want to take a look too

-Dave
Be warned, Daves definition of later- sometime next month......

Old 05-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #2332
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool Ok ok here ya go...Spliff aka rubber-diff

Anatomy of a Spliff aka (Rubber Diff)

Necessity is the mother of invention they say...For the Reedy Race of Champions One-Ways are not permitted, the options left are Ball-Diff, or Spool. A Ball-Diff should have better corner speed, while the Spool should have an advantage on corner exit. The One-way was developed to offer the best of both worlds, thatís where the Spliff comes into play, part spool, part diff it does it all.

Here is a simple way to make a diff feel almost like a spool, and itís adjustable for just the right amount of drive off the corner while maintaining corner speed especially thru the high speed sweepers.

You will need 6 black o-rings.

1. Disassemble diff, reassemble using thick diff lube on diff balls.
2. Lube up 2 o-rings with a thick diff lube, like Losi purple, or Tamiya Anti-Wear grease, place 1 o-ring on each side of the diff
3. Do not use the thrust balls, place 1 thrust washer over each o-ring on each side.
4. Insert diff screw into diff, on the other side do not use diff spring, instead replace it with 4 o-rings (dry, clean).
5. Assemble with diff nut, torque as tight as you dare.
6. Adjust as necessary. Much like an off-road slipper, tighten until you can barely here it slip on hard acceleration. Check again after a few runs as the o-rings take an initial setting. After 5 runs it should hold this setting.

A properly built and adjusted Spliff should last quite some time in between rebuilds. I used the same Spliff throughout the entire Reedy Race weekend, and had some shakedown time on it the week before with little to no wear on the outdrives, and no adjustments needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spliff.jpg (21.2 KB, 170 views)

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:33 PM   #2333
Tech Elite

Very interesting

so kinda like a very tight diff, hmm.... I may need to find some rubber o-rings and give it a try, front brakes would be handy at certain tracks. Luckily none of them have banned front one ways yet.
Interesting name you've chosen there
Old 05-28-2003, 09:49 PM   #2334
Tech Champion

Default Re: Ok ok here ya go...Spliff aka rubber-diff

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX

Necessity is the mother of invention they say...For the Reedy Race of Champions One-Ways are not permitted, the options left are Ball-Diff, or Spool. A Ball-Diff should have better corner speed, while the Spool should have an advantage on corner exit. The One-way was developed to offer the best of both worlds, thatís where the Spliff comes into play, part spool, part diff it does it all.

Here is a simple way to make a diff feel almost like a spool, and itís adjustable for just the right amount of drive off the corner while maintaining corner speed especially thru the high speed sweepers.

2. Lube up 2 o-rings with a thick diff lube, like Losi purple, or Tamiya Anti-Wear grease, place 1 o-ring on each side of the diff
3. Do not use the thrust balls, place 1 thrust washer over each o-ring on each side.
4. Insert diff screw into diff, on the other side do not use diff spring, instead replace it with 4 o-rings (dry, clean).
6. Adjust as necessary. Much like an off-road slipper, tighten until you can barely here it slip on hard acceleration. Check again after a few runs as the o-rings take an initial setting. After 5 runs it should hold this setting.

A properly built and adjusted Spliff should last quite some time in between rebuilds. I used the same Spliff throughout the entire Reedy Race weekend, and had some shakedown time on it the week before with little to no wear on the outdrives, and no adjustments needed.
Oustanding !! Dave...thanks for spilling the info on this diff mod..! I'm going to give it a try this weekend at the track..
Thanks again

-Dave
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM   #2335
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Be warned, Daves definition of later- sometime next month......

OK Hermi

I'll get these up ASAP today ...just watch

-Dave
Old 05-28-2003, 11:56 PM   #2336
fai
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Ok ok here ya go...Spliff aka rubber-diff

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX

RedRedBull: Amazing! Two thumbs up!!
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #2337
fai
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
OK Hermi

I'll get these up ASAP today ...just watch

-Dave
Dave: Both Hermi and I can wait!
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:10 AM   #2338
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fai
Dave: Both Hermi and I can wait!

Ok I'll have the whole ALEX Familiy picture for you all tonight..

-Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 02:09 PM   #2339
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We are updating the Alex Racing USA (www.alexracingusa.com) website with pictures, setups, and more articles right now. Dave Berger's Reedy Race setup will on there shortly, the photos are already online. We'll also add the "Spliff" article to the website.

The "Spliff" was created for situations where one-way is not allowed. It retained the turn in of a ball diff and the characteristic of a spool coming out of the turn. Dave and John have put in many hours on the creation of the "Spliff" and it has certainly paid off!

Steve Wang
Old 05-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #2340
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

We are updating the Alex Racing USA (www.alexracingusa.com) website with pictures, setups, and more articles right now. Dave Berger's Reedy Race setup will on there shortly, the photos are already online. We'll also add the "Spliff" article to the website.

The "Spliff" was created for situations where one-way is not allowed. It retained the turn in of a ball diff and the characteristic of a spool coming out of the turn. Dave and John have put in many hours on the creation of the "Spliff" and it has certainly paid off!

Steve Wang

Hey Steve are you guys going to be doing anymore R&D for the Barracuda..??....Wink Wink ...I have seen hints of some new stuff coming out on my side of the pond last night when I was Racing last night ..

ANything

-Dave