R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2003, 02:46 AM   #2251
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: R2 Improvements...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bartz!
Shorter rear shock bodies for sure. It would be nice if they were the same (front and back).

Andrew-

I think that I heard ALEX JAPAN might be fixing this in there newer kits that will be released in Japan..

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:11 AM   #2252
Tech Regular

Graphite C-hubs and and front knuckles would be nice to have, the stock ones are on the soft side.

Better battery holders would not go astray either.

Also would be nice to have equal size bearings, axles and dogbones for both the rear and front wheels.

The drive train is more or less spot on although they should have moved the motor mount closer to the spur.

The current R2 is more of an incremental upgrade so I guess they had to re-use alot of the R1 parts to save development costs.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #2253
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads

The drive train is more or less spot on although they should have moved the motor mount closer to the spur.

A little trick from my friends in Japan.... You can use the R1`s Spur gear addaptor on the R2 that will put the spur right were it`s ment to be

-Dave
Old 05-19-2003, 06:41 PM   #2254
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

I'm getting really fed up with Scottish weather
four weeks of outdoor racing, first two were rained off before I even left for the track, last week it was a mostly dry track, we laid it around the puddles but there was a very cold wind and we only managed two timed runs, it was more of a practise week. This week it's been sunny all day, get in my car and it's cloudy, half way there and it's spitting rain, get there and it's properly raining racing canceled again.

Everyone is getting quite fed up, we don't even have a semi permanent track, we use a car park area at a distilers office, they allow us to use it but won't let us paint track lines and there may sometimes be a truck parked there so we have to move to a rougher car park near by. We were hoping to have a permanent track by now, had an old BMX track to use but needed funding to tarmac the area. We just couldn't find enough moneym we could of taken out a bank loan but club numbers aren't as high as we would like and it would be a huge burden on the club, just not feasable. The National Lottery gives money to lots of groups looking to set things up that will benifit the comunity, I think taking kids off the street to race rc cars instead counts. But they count what we do as a motor sport, not a hobby, and don't like helping motorsports. Another club in Scotland managed to get together with some skate boarders and things like that and they got a huge grant from the council and lottery to build a permanent track with everything properly setup, with things like floodlights even. Total cost of there project is around 170k, RC gets about 30-40k of that, we can't get the 12k for tarmac laying we need I bet there are plenty of abandoned warehouses that the council has too, but they just don't want to know from us. We could make a warehouse secure for them then we just need to lay a carpet and build a rostrum, which the club would be able to afford but the council probably wouldn't want to bother filling out a few forms or whatever...
If you can't tell, I'm peeved off.

The test of the cuda will have to be at Carlisle this Sunday at the second Scottish Champ event, just great. 4 events left and 4 out of 5 to count, with my first being a total loss I have to do well every time now. Not when I want to find out something is wrong with my car. I have found I was lacking in M3x10 countersunk screws, I have two 8mm ones in the ball hinges on one suspension arm, not sure where the 10mm ones went I checked everywhere they are used and can't think of what I did, got plenty 8mm ones since I replaced some with titanium hex heads, much easier to avoid stripping. Do you think this will cause to strength problems? or is it just more chance of the screw falling out if it comes loose?
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #2255
Tech Addict

Things I would like to see changed on the R2:

Most of the things people have mentioned, especially the spur mount.

A battery holder designed for side by side cells not stick packs, it's annoying having to get the dremell out on a new car and I would rather not use tape as the shaft is very close to the cells and may be damaged if they came out.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #2256
Tech Addict

Hermie

I know what you mean about the UK weather! There are a few occasions I have driven 3 hours to a track (Newcastle - Ashby) and not even managed one heat!

Still if it's any consolation there was no racing here in 'sunny Australia' on Sunday because of the rain!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you at Carlisle, my brother will be there too, whoop him for me
Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #2257
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
Things I would like to see changed on the R2:

Most of the things people have mentioned, especially the spur mount.

A battery holder designed for side by side cells not stick packs, it's annoying having to get the dremell out on a new car and I would rather not use tape as the shaft is very close to the cells and may be damaged if they came out.
THere is a alternative

I`ll be posting some pictures of what can be done laqter here today so if you have access to a few Yokomo MR4TC transponder holders your in luck

-Dave
Old 05-19-2003, 07:08 PM   #2258
Tech Elite

Transponder holders
I almost forgot about the battery situation, I think they should make the alloy strap standard and supply it with posts like I've used. Now my car looks great and cells are held securely
It takes seconds to change a set of cells since the RC Lab posts use body clips, just needed to drill the alloy strap holds.

What's your brothers name? I may know him or have heard of him atleast.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #2259
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator

What's your brothers name? I may know him or have heard of him atleast.
Keith Anderton. he'll be driving an Atlas YM34 Type T, probably with a shocking pink shell!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:19 PM   #2260
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
A little trick from my friends in Japan.... You can use the R1`s Spur gear addaptor on the R2 that will put the spur right were it`s ment to be

-Dave
I have an almost built R1 (minus a few parts) here with me so I could try that out but I'm using the PAL drive system now
Old 05-19-2003, 07:22 PM   #2261
Tech Elite

hmm not someone I know, different car from the norm too.
It's normaly lots of Losi XXXS', a few TC3's a couple Pro3's and eve a couple Pro 2's. Many people still think the Pro 2 is one of the best cars, parts are hard to get now though. There are plenty RC Labs too and a couple X-Rays, only one Barracuda though
Old 05-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #2262
Tech Initiate

Arrow Battery Strap...

I was able to outfit my R2 with the Schumacher Mission Pro woven graphite battery strap with aluminum Schumacher posts. This works very well.

-Andrew
Bartz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:09 PM   #2263
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
THere is a alternative

I`ll be posting some pictures of what can be done laqter here today so if you have access to a few Yokomo MR4TC transponder holders your in luck

-Dave
well there's about 40minutes to go until 24hours have passed
Old 05-20-2003, 06:19 PM   #2264
Tech Elite

Default Re: Battery Strap...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bartz!
I was able to outfit my R2 with the Schumacher Mission Pro woven graphite battery strap with aluminum Schumacher posts. This works very well.

-Andrew
The schumacher strap is shorter isn't it? so you had to drill new holes I take it. Can't looks as good as mine
I was worried about the extra weight of an alloy strap at first but when I got it I found it's extremely light, my car was underweight anyway I'll have to watch the weight on sunday though, different cells now may mean I will be underweight again if I use my old 3000's, will try stick to 3300's
Old 05-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #2265
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
well there's about 40minutes to go until 24hours have passed
Sorry Hermi` I found a new track last night and I went Racing hahahahah

-Dave