Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #1966
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by kansasracer
finally got it together and so the questions start

Really the only question that I have is

Is the drivetrain SUPER loud until the breakin process has been completed?

I am using a Delrin spur with all stock setup.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike
my cuda was pretty loud when I first ran it and I ended up with a stripped spur gear at the end of the nights racing. Check your spur for wobble, don't tighten the screws too much and follow Steve's building tips for aligning the driveshaft. My car still isn't the quietest at the track but it's more normal sounding.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:45 PM   #1967
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: CUDA setups...lets share

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
Hello DAVE...and all the rest of the CUDA gang.

Wanger, Madjack & I have been coming up with some pretty good stuff on the CUDA lately as we all run a different setup at So-cal. Just curious what you folks have found to be of use, particulary the stuff that's a bit uncharted ? ? ?

Last night at the races (admittedly the So-Cal banking is not the norm) I found that 2mm of roll center did wonders for stability with the shock positioned at the outside holes top & bottom for MAX steering. And it seems that rear anti-squat is not a friendly setup for the CUDA (too much on power steering)

Later this eve hope to have time to post latest set-up sheet.
Quick list...
Motor/Gear=Reedy Spec19T 72/28
Std springs
Toe Fr=0deg, Rr 2deg
ride height Fr=5mm, Rr 5.5mm
Sway bars Fr=1.0, Rr 1.0
Shocks=1mm holes in pistons Fr 50wt, Rr 40wt.
Diff=One-Way

So-Cal
Indoor, Asphalt, High bite with banking.
Looks similar to what I have for a out door track but the STD springs are way to soft for me

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #1968
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DOTMAN
Dave, how'd you three finish last night?
Back-side of the "A" Mr. Dot
I suffered from a minor mech prob, the lower right side screw on the front c-hub parted ways after a few laps. Darndest thing, I was really bummed about the handling until I saw what had happened. The car was pretty solid all evening, so after hammering away at it for a few weeks with radio problems and such, things are finally coming together.

Dave have you tried a softer setup, and if so what prompted you to run it stiffer. Is this possibly a Mod motor setup.

Most of the folks around here have very soft spring suspension settings, in point of fact I believe my CUDA has the firmest settings of the "competitive" cars at So-cal. Thats why I'm thinking of trying lighter oil ?

Tell me more BIG DAVE

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:20 PM   #1969
Tech Champion

Quote:
Back-side of the "A" Mr. Dot
I suffered from a minor mech prob, the lower right side screw on the front c-hub parted ways after a few laps. Darndest thing, I was really bummed about the handling until I saw what had happened. The car was pretty solid all evening, so after hammering away at it for a few weeks with radio problems and such, things are finally coming together.

Dave have you tried a softer setup, and if so what prompted you to run it stiffer. Is this possibly a Mod motor setup.

Most of the folks around here have very soft spring suspension settings, in point of fact I believe my CUDA has the firmest settings of the "competitive" cars at So-cal. Thats why I'm thinking of trying lighter oil ?

Tell me more BIG DAVE

I tend to run a lighter weight oil with a stiffer spring... and the set ups that I have now are more geared towards 23T stockers..(which have about the Same topend as some 10T singles that I run) So ..I would say that.. my set up is geared a little towards the Mod' side ..but I do have some 27T Practice motors that I can mess with in 2~3weeks when I get back .... I should have a bunch of time to mess with Set~Ups and such... On a side note I still haven't drilled the Stock pistions out yet...but some of my Japanese buddys tend to go as big as 1.2mm
Also I see that you are running the 1.0mm sway's all the way around have you tried the 1.4mm up front and the 1.2mmin the rear yet..??
-Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #1970
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I tend to run a lighter weight oil with a stiffer spring... and the set ups that I have now are more geared towards 23T stockers..(which have about the Same topend as some 10T singles that I run) So ..I would say that.. my set up is geared a little towards the Mod' side ..but I do have some 27T Practice motors that I can mess with in 2~3weeks when I get back .... I should have a bunch of time to mess with Set~Ups and such... On a side note I still haven't drilled the Stock pistions out yet...but some of my Japanese buddys tend to go as big as 1.2mm
Also I see that you are running the 1.0mm sway's all the way around have you tried the 1.4mm up front and the 1.2mmin the rear yet..??
-Dave
Ok to generalise here a bit on damping and oil wts...
For me it seems that the standard pistons (.8mm holes) with the 100-200wt oils reccommended per the assy instructions is comparible to the 1mm pistons with 30-40w oil. I enlarged the holes to allow the option to run lighter damping. With 100wt oil there was little room for a softer adjustment to match the settings of comparible cars i.e. the Tamiya-evoIII, Yok-SD etc...

I have tried Sway bars of 1.2mm Fr & 1.0mm Rr, with the higher roll-center there is quite a reduction in chassis roll. I am experimenting with the sway bars as a fine tune for front-rear balance.

You obviously are far more familiar with the Alex products, I just want to bounce some of this around to gain a better perspective of things. There are far fewer CUDA owners here so you have the decided advantage (being in Japan) of seeing more ideas about setups. Thanx for any ideas you have.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #1971
Tech Champion

Thumbs up Xenon

Hey Guys' looks like Steve Updated the SpeedTech web site for all of the new Alloy Xenon Hubs and such It looks as if the rear hubs are bit lighter than the Square ones which is a plus

Look Here

-Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 06:15 PM   #1972
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ok to generalise here a bit on damping and oil wts...
For me it seems that the standard pistons (.8mm holes) with the 100-200wt oils reccommended per the assy instructions is comparible to the 1mm pistons with 30-40w oil. I enlarged the holes to allow the option to run lighter damping. With 100wt oil there was little room for a softer adjustment to match the settings of comparible cars i.e. the Tamiya-evoIII, Yok-SD etc...

I have tried Sway bars of 1.2mm Fr & 1.0mm Rr, with the higher roll-center there is quite a reduction in chassis roll. I am experimenting with the sway bars as a fine tune for front-rear balance.

You obviously are far more familiar with the Alex products, I just want to bounce some of this around to gain a better perspective of things. There are far fewer CUDA owners here so you have the decided advantage (being in Japan) of seeing more ideas about setups. Thanx for any ideas you have.
OK My Friend ..

I'll see what "new" set-ups I can come up with when I get back home.... ..I have tons of new stuff to try out...Plus I am looking forward to coming to So~Cal when I make the trip out this summer with My Cuda
-Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM   #1973
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kansasracer
no, i was too "geeked" to run the thing...

How much sanding is needed on the gears? With fine sandpaper i assume?
Don't take too much of the gears or you will weaken them. Just take a 1/4 of a mm off the tip of the gears so the sharp peaks are blunted. Do this for both bevel and diff gears. After doing this, run the car's drivetrain in using an old motor for about 3-4 hours continuosly.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #1974
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
Don't take too much of the gears or you will weaken them. Just take a 1/4 of a mm off the tip of the gears so the sharp peaks are blunted. Do this for both bevel and diff gears. After doing this, run the car's drivetrain in using an old motor for about 3-4 hours continuosly.
Yes Just take off enough to remove the Flash that is left on the gears...best to start with the 16T bevel gear and then see how it is..if it needs more go to the Diff gear next
-Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 07:58 PM   #1975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Dave and all you other members of the Cuda Clan !! Dave,when you gonna be home?? Just wanted to clarify that the R1 for sale previously mentioned was not mine BUT mine is still for sale and I have dropped the price to $160.00. Thanks all.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #1976
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Hey Dave and all you other members of the Cuda Clan !! Dave,when you gonna be home??

The 6th of May is the Magic Day ..Can't wait.... 106 days straight at sea is kind of getting to me
-Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 08:16 PM   #1977
Tech Adept

Default R1?

Quote:
Hey Dave and all you other members of the Cuda Clan !! Dave,when you gonna be home?? Just wanted to clarify that the R1 for sale previously mentioned was not mine BUT mine is still for sale and I have dropped the price to $160.00. Thanks all.
IS THE R1 SHAFT DRIVE ALSO?IF SO....IM INTERESTED.

bigd4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:20 PM   #1978
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Glad you're OK Big Dave . Lets hope for better day's ahead.

Bigd....the R1 is shaft drive. if you scroll through some of the pages in this thread..you'll get to know all about it. Any particular questions...just ask!! As you can tell...these folks don't mind talking about their cars!!

Last edited by Evoracer; 04-16-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #1979
Tech Champion

Default Re: R1?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd4343
IS THE R1 SHAFT DRIVE ALSO?IF SO....IM INTERESTED.

Yes the R1 is Shaft Drive too ...But the Chassis Balance is much better on the R2.... but it doesn't take that much to bring the R1 up to R2 Spec's

-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuda side.1.jpg (84.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #1980
Tech Champion

Quote:
Glad you're OK Big Dave . Lets hope for better day's ahead.

Bigd....the R1 is shaft drive. if you scroll through some of the pages in this thead..you'll get to know all about it. Any particular questions...just ask!! As you can tell...these folks don't mind talking about their cars!!
Us Talk about our Cars Nawwwwwww

-Dave