R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2003, 06:35 PM   #1651
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by pkranger63
I'll be running my cuda this weekend with foams on a carpet track, so the test drive report will have to wait till then. I feel the kit itself was pretty darn good. I have to admit I am a bit spoiled by the fit and quality of my xray. While the cuda's was very good it still, in my opinion, was not on par with the Xray. I already have a order in to replace all the phillips head screws that the car came with.

The drivetrain is SMOOTH. This impressed the heck out of me. I liked the way to shocks went together and the bleed screws. It made it easier to get consistant feeling shocks. Other than that I can't wait to take this thing for a spin!!!!

Matt
Please let us all know about the Carpet set ups' I'm trying to get more knowlage for a Huge bunch of setups for the Barracuda'a that I'll post here in about a month or two

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:08 PM   #1652
Tech Adept

You betcha..I am still pretty new to onroad racing. I have always been a off-road guy. I don't really have a starting point except for the springs and oil I was using on my xray so I will let ya'll know how it turns out
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #1653
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Never run on carpet, ran on tarmac on sunday and the kit setup was good enough for me, just used the shock collars to get ride height correct and reduced the front pre load by a tiny amount after a couple of runs to get a little more steering. It was fine for me because it was easy to drive but probably not the quickest setup because it was a little slow in direction change, so stiffer will be better, although not a lot.
Indoors on wooden floors I put a normal diff in up front and of course put mini pin tyres on and with no other changes it again was very stable and easy to drive, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer here though, you don't want a twitchy car on such a low grip surface. I could do with a little more steering though, there was a tight chicane tonight and if you didn't get the sharp corner before it just right I couldn't get the car to turn tightly enough for the quick left right before the straight, it meant I had to crawl around instead. Then at the end of the straight there was a fast sweeper that got a little tighter near the end and this caused more understeer. Any tips Dave for a small change? preferably getting a little more front end grip rather than sacrificing rear grip.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:40 PM   #1654
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

Thanks pk. I ran 80wt all around on carpet w rubber tires and should have gone to 100wt w/ foams. This was done with a yoke pro and that car is the best handling car of all the racers. That is what it looked like compaired to all the others, IMHO.
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:11 PM   #1655
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Guys,

If you want, you can try a small modification that we've been doing: Drill out the piston holes a little bit (to about 1mm opening) the stock piston holes is a tad too small and drilling the hole slightly bigger will reduce the pack in the shocks little bit. Give it a try

Also, we added more pictures to the website so you can identify the parts easier.

Steve Wang
Old 03-31-2003, 10:27 PM   #1656
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Post R2 need Alloy hubs?

I have seen a few pictures in the thread of cars that have opted for the alloy hubs front and rear. Is this done as a performance gain, or for the sake of durability?

thanks, John
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #1657
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:37 AM   #1658
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ran the car for the very first time this Sunday in expert stock and all I have to say is 'Oh My!!!'. The track was a Hobby People event on dusty semi slick cement so a lot of people were struggling with traction early on. Surprisingly not me! This being my first serious go with a shaft car I was expecting some slight handling issues because of torque steer or weight balance but not so- it was as good as my well balanced Tamiya 414MII! I ran with the one-way and pretty much stock set up and only changed the upper shock mount locations, added torque rods and adjusted camber to get the right feel out of the car. The car TQ'd and won expert stock and would of qualified me in the top 4 of expert mod. The best thing is that the car now only has had 6 battery packs through it and is only getting faster and faster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010006.jpg (129.0 KB, 82 views)

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #1659
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010007.jpg (137.4 KB, 84 views)

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:03 AM   #1660
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Tsubasa Sakai

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR

5) ???? You can remove the diff with only taking out 5 screws .. I'll let you think about that for a second before I tell you how you can do it

How to do this magic??
Tsubasa Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:19 AM   #1661
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Ran the car for the very first time this Sunday in expert stock and all I have to say is 'Oh My!!!'. The track was a Hobby People event on dusty semi slick cement so a lot of people were struggling with traction early on. Surprisingly not me! This being my first serious go with a shaft car I was expecting some slight handling issues because of torque steer or weight balance but not so- it was as good as my well balanced Tamiya 414MII! I ran with the one-way and pretty much stock set up and only changed the upper shock mount locations, added torque rods and adjusted camber to get the right feel out of the car. The car TQ'd and won expert stock and would of qualified me in the top 4 of expert mod. The best thing is that the car now only has had 6 battery packs through it and is only getting faster and faster
Where did you get the carbon battery strap from? Do tell!

Looks like a Schumacher Mission strap.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:07 AM   #1662
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Never run on carpet, ran on tarmac on sunday and the kit setup was good enough for me, just used the shock collars to get ride height correct and reduced the front pre load by a tiny amount after a couple of runs to get a little more steering. It was fine for me because it was easy to drive but probably not the quickest setup because it was a little slow in direction change, so stiffer will be better, although not a lot.
Indoors on wooden floors I put a normal diff in up front and of course put mini pin tyres on and with no other changes it again was very stable and easy to drive, I wouldn't want to go any stiffer here though, you don't want a twitchy car on such a low grip surface. I could do with a little more steering though, there was a tight chicane tonight and if you didn't get the sharp corner before it just right I couldn't get the car to turn tightly enough for the quick left right before the straight, it meant I had to crawl around instead. Then at the end of the straight there was a fast sweeper that got a little tighter near the end and this caused more understeer. Any tips Dave for a small change? preferably getting a little more front end grip rather than sacrificing rear grip.
Herm,

(Dave I hope you do not mind), but one thing with the Cuda that I found to be a very good tuning aid is to adjust the weight transfer of the car as it accelerates and de-accelerates while setting up for the turns and that is front and rear droop. My kit did not come with the droop screws, but my local hobby shop had some longer set screws that I used that worked perfect. Anyway, upon initial droop set-up if you find that your car still has a slight push then all you have to do is reduce (back out the rear droop screw) about a 1/4 of a turn at a time until the car's weight transfer allows the weight to transfer to the front without sacrificing rear grip.

I have a big carpet race coming up this Sunday and I will be practicing this Thursday evening and I will post what my findings are for my test and tune.

I hope this helps, Mike

Last edited by Michal101; 04-01-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Michal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #1663
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by Michal101
Herm,

(Dave I hope you do not mind), but one thing with the Cuda that I found to be a very good tuning add is to adjust the weight transfer of the car as it accelerates and deaccelerates while setting up for the turns and that is front and rear droop. My kit did not come with the droop screws, but my local hobby shop had some longer set screws that I used that worked perfect. Anyway, upon initial droop set-up you find that you car still has a slight push then all you have to do is reduce (back out the rear droop screw) about a 1/4 of a turn at a time until the car's weight transfer allows the weight to transfer to the front without sacrificing rear grip.

I have a big carpet race coming up this Sunday and I will be practicing this Thursday evening and I will post what my findings are for my test and tune.

I hope this helps, Mike
thanks, nice to have a simple change to try

pretty sure thats a Mission battery strap, could be a nice looking alternative

The 5 screw diff removal I think you'd have to do without using the plastic diff sheilds, then you'd be able to do it by removing 2 screws holding one bulkhead to the chassis, two holding that same bulkhead to the topdeck and two holding it to the shock tower..... hang on thats 6

OK HuiDavey, spill the beans
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #1664
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dave,
Could it be that you are sniffing too much jet fuel?
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 AM   #1665
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

MikeR, I was at that race on Sunday...you were on fire. The car was awesome. I was curious what your droop settings were and if you drilled your pistons?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote