R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 AM   #1606
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TeamAE,

Yeah, Pat T! At SoCal he is almost unbeatable because he is there 2-3 times a week (especially now we are getting closer to the big race) I can usually muster up a run for his money outdoors, but SoCal is a weird track, you need to spend a good amount of time there before you can get competitive. I agree...he is a great driver and we are going to have our hands full this Tuesday It'll be fun!

JDM,

If they have similar problem as the EVOIII (hence bevel gear) then they better fix that quick because that's what killed the sale of EVOIII in Japan from what I've heard.

Steve Wang
Old 03-30-2003, 09:45 AM   #1607
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech

JDM,

If they have similar problem as the EVOIII (hence bevel gear) then they better fix that quick because that's what killed the sale of EVOIII in Japan from what I've heard.

Steve Wang

I should get some pic's in the next day or two.. I'll post them to show you
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #1608
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Well I'm knackered but happy

Weather was good, a little cold at the start of the day because of a wind but it got warmer after lunch. Track was dry all day and didn't get too hot for my CS 22's, the only decent slicks I have at the moment, need to buy some Cs 27's for the outdoor season, the 22's gave me plenty grip, any hotter though and I would of been in trouble.

I ran kit setup all day, although the shock collars were adjusted for ride height. I didn't need to change a thing elsewhere, the car was great We started running just free practise and then had three timed runs in the afternoon. I started using my Green Machine 3 just to get used to the track and the one way on tarmac, found I needed to gear up a lot. Went to try my 15 turn Orion Chrome but it didn't want to go, looked like a major case of sticky brushes and I couldn't be bothered sorting it so I put my Matrix 27turn stock motor in. The Cuda seems great for keeping motors cool, even without a heatsink, I ended up running 74/27 and the motor was still within reasonable temperatures, but I didn't go for a larger pinion because I wanted to keep my infield speed.

I was able to keep up with most cars in the infield, even though there were people using 12turn mods and those who weren't were using 14-19 turn motors, I was only really loosing out on a little bit of punch out of some corners and at the end of the straight the fast mods were rocketing towards me, although they soon had to slow down for the fast sweeper, whic I could take at full speed with the front one way. My last run was my best, after a couple of mistakes on the first lap I had a very solid run, taking good lines every lap and getting 16 laps by the end of 5mins, just 2 laps down on the fastest guys of the day and beating a friend using his new Losi and a 16turn motor :P

I can really see this car working beautifully in the 19T spec class, with the free drive train and good motor cooling I'm sure it'll be one of the fastest, although at a nice controlable pace

I did notice some grease around the pin inside one of the drive hex's when I removed the wheel, it seems to have come from the bearing as I don't even have any grease like it Will run the Lab tomorrow night so I can get a chance to strip down the cuda before I run it again, it had a couple of trips across the grass early on the diff cases did their job nicely though.

The car got some good interest from a range of drivers, some of the sponsered drivers liked it a lot, gave one guy SpeedTech's web address he was thinking of getting an X-Ray but he's changing his mind a lot

should have a pic of my shell for you later
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #1609
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
TeamAE,

Yeah, Pat T! At SoCal he is almost unbeatable because he is there 2-3 times a week (especially now we are getting closer to the big race) I can usually muster up a run for his money outdoors, but SoCal is a weird track, you need to spend a good amount of time there before you can get competitive. I agree...he is a great driver and we are going to have our hands full this Tuesday It'll be fun!

JDM,

Steve Wang

What pinion/spur are you using for 19T? How about for an 8T and 9T?
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #1610
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: eyowrch!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I think that you'll do well with the 2 diffs Steve...

You ought to try one car with a center driveshaft and dual diff's too...you might be surprised how that performs

Good luck ... also I have heard some good and bad things now from Japan about the SD..?

Very similar to the evo problems

-Dave
Is that the reason they are sending us the 2 diff version in the US?
Old 03-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #1611
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro
What pinion/spur are you using for 19T? How about for an 8T and 9T?
The best overall spur gear is 72T

-Dave
Old 03-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #1612
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: eyowrch!!

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro
Is that the reason they are sending us the 2 diff version in the US?
The kits Steve got had a front one way
Old 03-30-2003, 05:42 PM   #1613
Tech Elite

is there a missing post or something?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:51 PM   #1614
Tech Regular

Look at 4 posts above. Dave heard the new Yoke SD having problems similar to TB Evo3.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:58 PM   #1615
Tech Elite

Doh, these sily people talking about non Cudas, don't confuse me like that, I'm tired

the missing post comment was about the electric car section showing a post by Dave in this thread but it isn't here as far as I can see.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #1616
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Doh, these sily people talking about non Cudas, don't confuse me like that, I'm tired

the missing post comment was about the electric car section showing a post by Dave in this thread but it isn't here as far as I can see.
Yeah' Hermi'

I posted something ...but it was there and now it's gone..?? Oh well..no biggy
-Dave ...

So how are you guys like the R2 so far.??? any Bitches or Issues..?

Let me know so I can help ya'
Old 03-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #1617
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Yeah' Hermi'

I posted something ...but it was there and now it's gone..?? Oh well..no biggy
-Dave ...

So how are you guys like the R2 so far.??? any Bitches or Issues..?

Let me know so I can help ya'
I'll post what I like about the R2 soon but since you asked ... there are few things that I don't:

i.) The bearings in the shaft holder tend to work their way out indicating that the fit is not tight enough. It won't fall out since the shaft will keep it in. But they could have used a small set screw to hold in the bearings.

ii.) The position of the spur gear mount is not correct. Yes you can mount the spur gear on the opposite side but it makes changing gears a little bit harder since you will have to remove the the mount. It will also prevent you from using the supplied battery holders. The standard position will mean that the pinion barely reaches the spur unless you use a longer shank pinion or if you mount the pinion further up the motor shaft.

iii.) The battery holders were carried over from the R1 which really is not suitable on the narrower R2 chassis. You will need to remove some material from the battery holders to get them to fit. Problems with space is too be expected when you have such a narrow chassis like the R2 The car is 3-4mm narrower than my Evo3. Not really a problem if you prefer to tape your cells in.

iv.) The servo mount blocks are too big for the R2 chassis and will block the battery mounts. I swapped the blocks out for smaller alloy blocks from an old Tamiya kit and works fine.

v.) Not easy to get to the diffs for maintainence. Need to remove top deck, diff covers and alloy hubs.

vi.) Sanding of gears to obtain a smooth drive train.

Last edited by itchynads; 03-30-2003 at 07:58 PM.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #1618
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

itchynads,

I think the reason why your bearing slides out of the shaft holder is because the little "ears" at the end of the input shafts probably got chopped off during the assembly of your car. You might want to check that, I did the same thing myself

Steve Wang
Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 PM   #1619
Tech Regular

Quote:
itchynads,

I think the reason why your bearing slides out of the shaft holder is because the little "ears" at the end of the input shafts probably got chopped off during the assembly of your car. You might want to check that, I did the same thing myself

Steve Wang
Yep just checked it the ears are slightly worn due to my efforts to align the bearings

In other news I just ordered the PAL drive system...mmmm more red alloy This car might end up sitting on the display shelf if it starts to look any better
Old 03-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #1620
Tech Adept

I broke the ears off of the gear as well. I figured out a way to get them in pretty eassily now but getting them back out, well thats another story
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote