Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #1501
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Try looking here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...290#post316290

whilst on the topic of this center shaft holder, it looks kind of close to the spur gear holder, will it work with the spur gear on the side closest to the motor and using the big hex head screws to hold the spur gear on?
Hermi'
the Motor mount/shaft holder is designed to work flawlessly and eveything is with in tolorance so don't worry about the hex screws
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:43 AM   #1502
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Good to hear the car went well in 19T spec class, I'll be running that class this summer in the Scottish Champs, should give me a chance of being at the front of the field I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car goes outside this sunday, as long as it stays dry.

Is this most of the spring range for the Alex Racing springs?

Dk. Green 340
Dk. Blue 320
Dk. Yellow 300
Pink 280
Black (Kit) 270
Lt. Blue 260
Lt. Green 250
Red 240
Lt. Yellow 230
Orange 220

the numbers are Gf/mm

Only seen one pic of the motor mount/shaft holder in place and it looked a little close to the spur gear, the picture had the spur on the other side of the holder.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #1503
Tech Champion

Quote:
Good to hear the car went well in 19T spec class, I'll be running that class this summer in the Scottish Champs, should give me a chance of being at the front of the field I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car goes outside this sunday, as long as it stays dry.

Is this most of the spring range for the Alex Racing springs?

Dk. Green 340
Dk. Blue 320
Dk. Yellow 300
Pink 280
Black (Kit) 270
Lt. Blue 260
Lt. Green 250
Red 240
Lt. Yellow 230
Orange 220

the numbers are Gf/mm

Only seen one pic of the motor mount/shaft holder in place and it looked a little close to the spur gear, the picture had the spur on the other side of the holder.

Colored Alex springs.?

But the Gf/mm I can help you out with!! 280/300/320's would be the best bet to get Hermi'

Once again don't worry it wont run on the Holder...

here is a pick of the one for the R1....the scres mount from the opisite side with All the new motor mouns/shaft holders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuda square motor mount.jpg (98.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-26-2003, 10:54 AM   #1504
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

I'm back from a good night of racing at SoCal last night. We had two other guys out there with Barracuda, one of them is our team driver Dave (Redbullfix that you guys see posting on this thread). We didn't run pro-stock last night, instead everyone ran 19T in preparation for the up coming Reedy Race.

Dave basically went with the box stock setup (springs, long arm setup, and shock locations) and on his first time out, he put the R2 solid in the A-main (5th qualifier). Dave's car looks to have the most "zip" through the infield and amazing top speed down the straightaway. With a few small changes before the main, Dave's car was even better in the main, with a rough start, Dave actually was last (about half a track behind) and charge all the way through the field to take 3rd at the end. Great result for the first time out, Thank you Dave!

While Dave was on box stock setup, I tried out the mid-span arm, while the other driver tried out the front spool. The mid-span arm did exactly what Alex Racing intend it to do, faster transition side to side. Definitely good for small-mid size twisty tracks. I also tried out the rear hub carrier with less toe-in degree (Part number 6113) and the car definitely had more acceleration, I had to hold back the throttle through the infield because the car would take off so fast out of the turn.

We also tried out the spool unit in the front. Very good straight line acceleration, a slight push going into the turn, and it yanks the car through the turn on power. The only problem with the spool is that by nature, they are extremely harsh on the front drivetrain components (Universals joints, bones, and the spool itself) We began to wear a notch on the front spool after two runs but in a situation where you can not run a front one-way, a spool might be your next best bet.

In case you guys are wondeing...I qualified 10th again last night (seemed to have fallingin love with that spot or something...hahaha ) and because of a 7 car A-main, I was once again in the B. For me personally, the mid-span arm setup with the reduce toe rear hub carrier was a bit too much in responsiveness. I'm keeping the reduce toe rar hub carrier and going back next week with the long arms. We will also start testing some anti-roll bars and Alex springs. I do have the springs available (12different kinds) and I just have to figure them out first before I put them online for you guys.

I would also like to welcome Michal101, who is our team driver on the east coast. Along with Dave (JDM_DOHC_SiR), Michal101, Dave (Redbullfix) and myself, we should be able to help you guys out with any questions you guys might have

Thanks for reading!

Steve Wang

Good news!!

and like always I'm here to help all of you Cuda Owners

-Dave
Old 03-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #1505
Tech Champion

Thumbs up 2 Cuda's R1's for sale..

Check out the For Sale forum if any of you want a R1..? Good deals there......On a Plus note the R1 can be Upgraded to a R2 Quite easy..

SpeedTech should have a good chunck of the stuff that you would need to convert it to R2 specs'

-Dave

Last edited by JDM_DOHC_SiR; 03-26-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:46 PM   #1506
Tech Champion

Thumbs up up

^
^^
^^^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

Old 03-26-2003, 06:40 PM   #1507
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ok, for all those who bought an R2 recently, and found they had no battery hold down bar.

I just cut up the plastic battery retainers that did come with the kit, and used the spare graphite battery retainer that I had for my TBevoII.
the only thing I had to do was grind off some of the graphite at the rear of the battery tie down because it rubbed against the kimbrough spur Im using.
You just screw the bar to the retainers and presto, instant battery tie down.
looks not too bad too.
At least it will do the trick until Steve gets the alum kit in.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #1508
Tech Adept

Default another quick question

I am assembling the left steering post and putting in the ball studs (L1) in the blown up picture it looks like there is a instert for the ball stud closest to the center of the steering arm but it dosn't show one in the assembly diagram. Any clues???

Thanks again
Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #1509
Tech Elite

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself Dave?

well the weather forecast for Sunday where I plan to race is looking good I hope to put the Cuda on the map in Scotland this summer you may want to get some leaflets printed up Steve
Old 03-26-2003, 06:49 PM   #1510
Tech Elite

Default Re: another quick question

Quote:
Originally posted by pkranger63
I am assembling the left steering post and putting in the ball studs (L1) in the blown up picture it looks like there is a instert for the ball stud closest to the center of the steering arm but it dosn't show one in the assembly diagram. Any clues???

Thanks again
Matt
thats part of the moudled arm that you cut off, it is a little strange that it's shown in one picture but not others, I just looked at how it relates to the other and saw that for the link to sit level you need to cut it off.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #1511
Tech Regular

Ok the new PAL drive system looks good but does it offer a performance advantage over the normal motor mount???

From what I can tell it will allow me to use 64p gears although I prefer 48p for durability.

I will probably get one since it looks sooooo good anyway but only after I get my alloy shaft holders The stock plastic shaft holder seem to be slightly warped which is causing my shaft bearing to bind a little.

I've also managed to resolve some drive train efficiency issues by more sanding. Its still no where near as smooth as my Evo3 but I doubt it will ever be since the Evo 3 uses finer gears. Its about half as smooth as the Evo3. At least the gears are tougher on the cuda
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:59 PM   #1512
Tech Adept

Got it! I sure appreciate the help Herminator

Thanks again
Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #1513
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself Dave?

Me?? naawwwwwwww

I just to try to answer all of your Questions as much as I can ...

Why else would I be here... It's not like there's a "Real" war going on

-Dave
Old 03-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #1514
Tech Elite

Whats your opinion on motor heatsinks?
I've heard a lot about them doing virtually nothing and often causing problems because they can block the holes in the motor can. A guy at my club uses one in his TC3 though and says he had overheating problems when he didn't use one, now his motor runs a lot cooler
Old 03-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #1515
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
Ok the new PAL drive system looks good but does it offer a performance advantage over the normal motor mount???

From what I can tell it will allow me to use 64p gears although I prefer 48p for durability.

I will probably get one since it looks sooooo good anyway but only after I get my alloy shaft holders The stock plastic shaft holder seem to be slightly warped which is causing my shaft bearing to bind a little.

I've also managed to resolve some drive train efficiency issues by more sanding. Its still no where near as smooth as my Evo3 but I doubt it will ever be since the Evo 3 uses finer gears. Its about half as smooth as the Evo3. At least the gears are tougher on the cuda
The Alloy imput gear holders will also make the drive train smoother..but the Heavy pitch of the Cuda' is Beefy!!! and you'll be able to spin the drive train for ever once you have gone thought the bearings and gears a few times too the Performance gain you will get from the Shaft holder/ motor mount ..is that there will be less chance you will be able to strip a Spur gear due to it getting hit or T-Boned ...

Trust me the PAL mount is worth it!!

I have shaft/motor mounts on all my cudas'

-Dave