R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default Help selecting a car for speed runs

So I have kind of stumbled into making speed runs. I stick to rc boats mostly these days with the exception of a slash and firestorm. I have had a TC3 car that I turned into a drifter a while back. It has been sitting a while so I decided to throw a sidewinder and 5700 in it and see how fast it would be just to give me something to do. Well, now I'm hooked and want to go faster. I started with a 2s lipo and got bored. Went to a 3s lipo and can't keep the thing together. My problem is the TC3 wasn't meant for these speeds and parts aren't holding up. I'm in need of suggestions on what to get that can handle these speeds and abuse.
blazerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Anyone??
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

i would think any car that is decent and set up well should work just fine. i had a pretty much stock (except for electronics) xxx-s that was super fast and it all held together just fine.
cooptroop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm trying a 1/10 pan car (WGT) this year as a drag car. Way less moving parts to blow apart. I'll be using a 4.5T with up to a 4 cell lipo in it.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to savtraxx

world record is set with 2 MI4's joined together , 12s lipo , NEU 1 turn motor...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Tech Master

apart from the center shaft wobbling the tc3 drivetrain parts are sturdy enough to withstand huge power. Just solve the shaft wobble.

I would go pan car if I would do that ( not gonna happen), but if you want to run it down your street I would advise a HPI sprint, because it has belts (efficiency increasing with speed if properly tensioned), is cheap and has steel drivetrain parts.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I have already blown apart the drive cups on the TC3. They are now aluminum. They held up fine the first run, but now the stock rear cvd bone is done. I guess if I upgrade this all of the drive parts will be aluminum and so I should be ok. The center shaft wobble is something I would like to fix, any suggestions?