Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will onroad return in the north?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've never been a fan of RTR...mainly because they come with "all the stuff" but that stuff isn't really race-able. HPI is 90% there with their Camaro Sprint 2. All they would have to do is include a 25.5 combo. I couldn't see that raising the cost much ...if at all! Also with the same platform you could put in a 21.5 combo, put a GT body on it and have an out of the box USGT car. A $200 dollar out of the box VTA and USGT car is what is needed. HPI can do it. When you talk about the parts to convert your car to USGT and VTA, most use HPI parts anyways. Someone (Novak, Castle, Rob King ...) needs to contact HPI USA an have serious talks about making this a product. It can be done. The on road "Slash" already exist...it just needs to be tweaked.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Our LHS put together a package deal specifically for VTA.
It was the HPI '69 Camaro Sprint 2 RTR with a Havoc ESC and 25.5 SS motor already installed for 349.99.
Just add your batteries and charger and go racing.

VTA is the biggest class here.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
robk, I went to the Tamiya USA site and typed in the item number for that Z Parts driver figure and they had no current info. Is it still available? Would you please post pics of it.

Thank you
pic:
Attached Thumbnails Will onroad return in the north?-drivertam.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
pic:
Is that the same driver figure that came with the Hornet about, oh, 20 some years ago?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Is that the same driver figure that came with the Hornet about, oh, 20 some years ago?
..and every Tamiya buggy in the 80's-mid 90's
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Default fixing on road

Most guys on this thread do seem to agree that entry cost and upkeep cost have become a big downer for onroad racing these days. And it sure doesn't help that typical touring car chassis prices have gotten pretty far out of hand. One alterative that seems to be taking hold is WGT. By their very nature, pancars are way more simple and far less costly. The WGT class spec tires avoid the need to experiment with differnt tire choices and 1cell lipo batterys are a little more than just 1/2 the cost of 2 cell lipos. Not to mention that it's harder to toast one's electronics and motor with only 1/2 the voltage and far less weight to generate heat. WGT has become a very good alternative for good close cost conscious on-road racing. And for those who want more speed and a little more technicality, there is always 1/12th scale.........with the side benefit of lots of parts and equipment interchangeability with the larger version WGT. One can run two classes on quite a low budget if he chooses WGT and 1/12th.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
Most guys on this thread do seem to agree that entry cost and upkeep cost have become a big downer for onroad racing these days. And it sure doesn't help that typical touring car chassis prices have gotten pretty far out of hand. One alterative that seems to be taking hold is WGT. By their very nature, pancars are way more simple and far less costly. The WGT class spec tires avoid the need to experiment with differnt tire choices and 1cell lipo batterys are a little more than just 1/2 the cost of 2 cell lipos. Not to mention that it's harder to toast one's electronics and motor with only 1/2 the voltage and far less weight to generate heat. WGT has become a very good alternative for good close cost conscious on-road racing. And for those who want more speed and a little more technicality, there is always 1/12th scale.........with the side benefit of lots of parts and equipment interchangeability with the larger version WGT. One can run two classes on quite a low budget if he chooses WGT and 1/12th.

It's obvious WGT would be WAY more popular if some companies would release some more bodies specific to the class. The Sophia challenge makes a great class look boring. CRC is releasing a new WGT body apparently. The Protoform Mulsanne, what happened to that? Some of the HPI 200mm bodies look sweet but there must be a reason that you don't see them in the class.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
It's obvious WGT would be WAY more popular if some companies would release some more bodies specific to the class. The Sophia challenge makes a great class look boring. CRC is releasing a new WGT body apparently. The Protoform Mulsanne, what happened to that? Some of the HPI 200mm bodies look sweet but there must be a reason that you don't see them in the class.
99.9 percent of them are out of stock/discontinued
Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

I wish more people looked at it this way. WGT is a great class. Instead everyone tries to get the newby to run VTA that has 4 shocks, 2 sway bars, rubber tires that don't handle, $600 for a kit, this is asking a lot for someone that has no idea of what to do. I think WGT would have a bigger following if we ran the same body's that we run in 1/12.

Anyway I don't think I helped with a answer as to how and get on-road to return to the North. It may take a little time, R/C runs in cycles......

Steve Dunn
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
I wish more people looked at it this way. WGT is a great class. Instead everyone tries to get the newby to run VTA that has 4 shocks, 2 sway bars, rubber tires that don't handle, $600 for a kit, this is asking a lot for someone that has no idea of what to do. I think WGT would have a bigger following if we ran the same body's that we run in 1/12.

Anyway I don't think I helped with a answer as to how and get on-road to return to the North. It may take a little time, R/C runs in cycles......

Steve Dunn
You dont always have to drop $600 on a car for VTA Steve...I mean if I still had my TC3 Id get it up to VTA spec and give it a shot...and as for the rubber tires, the point in their mind is to make the class a drivers class I would think which would make it another fairly low cost option for those wanting to get into racing
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have raced plenty of 1/12, and I know that it is not easy for new guys to jump in. It's a lot easier to get a sedan around the track if it is not 100% on setup than it is a pan car. They also take the beatings a lot better if you choose the right car.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Right now in Central Illinois the WGT class is the largest non-oval on-road class racing. We also have 1/12 scale but people are scared of them because they are so responsive.

We follow the WGT rules to the letter and run 13.5 open ESC. The bodies range from the Sofia to Saleen Mustang. Our 1/12 is 17.5 open ESC which is nice because the speeds are almost as fast as the WGT but it's easier to pilot the smaller car on the track rather than the longer wider WGT.

The largest class is 1/18 Late Model, oval racing, followed by 17.5 SCT.

VTA and TC have dried up completely and you can't even give them away. There has been some interest in drifting but it is still small.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Off topic: Do you remember when Jeff Gorden to Montoya's Williams for a spin at indy? After six laps he was within .3 of second on pole. There are some gifted, natural drivers. It doesnt matter what they are driving, they will always be fast.

Shawn.
Sure do, and I don't deny Gordo has the goods but I also remember IROC when all the drivers had the same car and he wasn't as quick as some of the others (Loeb in particular if I remember). Also people tend to ask how much MY stuff cost. I always tell them I have issues and you can get up and racing for half the cost of my overcomplicated ode to R/C marketing rig costs. The LAST thing I would try to do is tell some dad it's going to cost the same as I spend to get little Sparky in the rookie race.
PS Hamilton and Tony Stewart will switch this year, if they can get smoke in and out of a F1 car.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cheROK1212
Sure do, and I don't deny Gordo has the goods but I also remember IROC when all the drivers had the same car and he wasn't as quick as some of the others (Loeb in particular if I remember). Also people tend to ask how much MY stuff cost. I always tell them I have issues and you can get up and racing for half the cost of my overcomplicated ode to R/C marketing rig costs. The LAST thing I would try to do is tell some dad it's going to cost the same as I spend to get little Sparky in the rookie race.
PS Hamilton and Tony Stewart will switch this year, if they can get smoke in and out of a F1 car.
They will need to shoe horn stewart in. He is a great driver though, he drove a friend of mines DIRT modified at saracues NY the same year he won the USAC triple crown.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

sure onroad has been down this season around our area but we also have to big offroad tracks in the area as well.. from my point a view it doesnt get any easier than 1s 1/12th 17,5 no boost car...one car, one 1s pack, novak havok 1s, black fronts,yellowrears...boom your racing a great class for under $250..there is nothing even close to the easiness and driving...no four shocks, no dogbones..etc..this is as simple as 123..4'6" turning radius and quick tweak...your going racing...now if you want to save more money buy a used car and your now under $200.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.